HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2013, 07:04 PM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
870 Posts
Discussion
how well does the slow stick x handle wind?

i haven't finished my slow stick x but was curious how well it will fly in the wind compared to the gws slow stick? also will i need to add any down incidence to the motor? also how well will the wing hold up to high G loops
thanks jeff
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2013, 10:28 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff262 View Post
i haven't finished my slow stick x but was curious how well it will fly in the wind compared to the gws slow stick? also will i need to add any down incidence to the motor? also how well will the wing hold up to high G loops
thanks jeff
The SSX is an excellent wind flyer. Hi G loops should not be a problem.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2013, 06:09 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Mar 2011
135 Posts
Flying in wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
The SSX is an excellent wind flyer. Hi G loops should not be a problem.

James
I have flown this in winds that my club tells me is 15 mph. Just have to take off and land directly into the wind. I have landed my SSX in wind strong enough for it to simply hover to the ground. However, once down and leave the motor on till you pick it up. Otherwise it gets blown over.

For rougher days I fly this plane or my PZ t-28. The SSX is a fantastic flyer
pherz is online now Find More Posts by pherz
Old Jul 01, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,187 Posts
I love this plan, it's one of my favorite planes. It handles wind and I've not had a problem with any extreme loops or pulling out of dives. Mine is a little extreme though and still handles extremely well. I started off with a rimfire .10 (which was a great match for this plane, but I pulled motor for another plane and put a eflite 480 910kv motor in and didn't like it so as an experement i went with my current motor out of an old FMS 1600 T-28 and was amazed at how well it flew.) I've got a 4250 motor on with a 3300 4s pack. I did however have to upgrade to an aluminum motor mount because the plastic can't handle the thrust (speaking from experience, motor mount gave way to the stress it wasn't designed for and motor/prop pulled off durring flight. Perfect glider BTW)

The only thing I can say I'm not too happy with is the landing gear, they like to twist.
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Jul 02, 2013, 10:44 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
I love this plan, it's one of my favorite planes. It handles wind and I've not had a problem with any extreme loops or pulling out of dives. Mine is a little extreme though and still handles extremely well. I started off with a rimfire .10 (which was a great match for this plane, but I pulled motor for another plane and put a eflite 480 910kv motor in and didn't like it so as an experement i went with my current motor out of an old FMS 1600 T-28 and was amazed at how well it flew.) I've got a 4250 motor on with a 3300 4s pack. I did however have to upgrade to an aluminum motor mount because the plastic can't handle the thrust (speaking from experience, motor mount gave way to the stress it wasn't designed for and motor/prop pulled off durring flight. Perfect glider BTW)

The only thing I can say I'm not too happy with is the landing gear, they like to twist.
Thanks for the great comments. There are a few things that can cause the twisting in the gear.

1. You twisted the carbon when inserting it. There are ribs in the carbon sockets that are damaged if you twist the carbon during installation.
2. Did not glue the parts together properly or no glue at all.
3. screws are not tight.
4. The carbon threads have been twisted and are no longer glued together. This is often caused by item 1.
5. Narrow wheels are also a problem. That is why I switched to the fat wheels.
6. landing too hard on paved or concrete runways.

Here is the build log for the X-Gear:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813454

Send me an e-mail, if we can not resolve the problem, I will send you whatever parts you need to fix it.

I stand behind my products,

James Karpy
President Millennium R/C

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2013, 01:11 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,187 Posts
Thanks, I'll check the tightness of the hardware. I think I'll go to the hardware store and find some long screws and nuts so I can try some fatter wheels. I have the ones in your link provided. And again, the kit really speaks for itself.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:30 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,187 Posts
Here is my SS(Super Sport)X, I'm going to try and get some vid if you guys are interested in some unlimited vert shots.

Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,187 Posts
James, they kept twisting on me so I CA'd them and they broke when I hit an embankment. Durring takeoff the elevotor servo horn broke (TG it broke before I went airborne). I did find an alteritive solution that worked out rather nice and I'm using the X-gear top mount to secure it to the stick. This may be somthing to look into as an option for you to offer customers:

Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
James, they kept twisting on me so I CA'd them and they broke when I hit an embankment. Durring takeoff the elevotor servo horn broke (TG it broke before I went airborne). I did find an alteritive solution that worked out rather nice and I'm using the X-gear top mount to secure it to the stick. This may be somthing to look into as an option for you to offer customers:

The twisting is caused by several building mistakes. Thin wheels being number one. Take a look at the X-gear build thread. Most of my customers are not having these problems.

Send me a direct e-mail, I will get you another set of X-Gear.

James
RCG Plus Member