HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:43 AM
United States, MI, Hastings Charter Township
Joined Apr 2005
41 Posts
Discussion
Scooter 3m

I just ordered the plans from AMA for the Scooter as my son and I are going to build a couple. Does anyone have the ribs for the tip panel plotted? I see the plans only show the tip and root ribs for that panel. I love scratch building but prefer to have the outlines if possible.
maxdriver is offline Find More Posts by maxdriver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:11 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,349 Posts
Skybench offers either a full kit or the laser parts. Maybe this will help you. FYI, I own a 3m Scooter which I purchased assembled last year. It is a really nice flyer. Mine has Rudder/Elevator/Flaps. The plane is so simple to fly and so predictable on final I never used flaps to hit my spot (which was typically just at my feet).

Good luck on your build.
Kurt

http://www.skybench.com/home.html Look under "RES - SPORT - NOSTALGIA - CONTEST WINNERS"
kzimmerm is online now Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Apr 2005
41 Posts
Thanks Kurt...just sent them an email.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
Not sure it is Ray that does the Scooter, I thought it was Spirit of Yesteryear from Canada. Ship is a good flier.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:06 AM
Gainesville,FL
Joined Jan 2002
233 Posts
Ray has the rights to the Scooter now.

Don't forget to add some carbon fiber strips to the wing spars and wrap the Wing rod box with kevlar thread. The wing rod box is short and one of the weakest pionts, making the box extra strong is a good idea.
FLMODELER is offline Find More Posts by FLMODELER
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joined Apr 2005
41 Posts
If I lengthen the rod box, do you know a source for carbon wing rods? And while I am asking, who is the current source for the stab bellcrank? Seems none of my old sources exist anymore.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:18 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
If I lengthen the rod box, do you know a source for carbon wing rods? And while I am asking, who is the current source for the stab bellcrank? Seems none of my old sources exist anymore.
For the rod, try Composite Structures http://www.cstsales.com/
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:36 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,499 Posts
Bear in mind that if this was designed for a steel wingrod, you won't be able to just substitute a carbon rod of the same diameter and have the same strength. You need a bigger carbon rod than steel for comparable strength.

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
Stay with steel, you will be ahead in wearability.

Marc
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:55 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,008 Posts
If you want to make it lighter, then carbon, even if a bit larger, will work fine.

I have replaced 1/2" steel wing rod with carbon rod of the same size on a 3.4M Ventus 2C that I aerotow. No problems. I have also winch launched it. Worked fine.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,520 Posts
Ed, aerotowing and winching are no comparrison in loads. You could nearly use a fiberglass rod in the scale ship and it would be OK. With reference to the Scooter, the rod is short, much like a Sagitta, and it takes a heck of load and you would have to have a pretty dramatically larger carbon rod, and then reinforce the fuse to allow a pass through of the rod so as not to have it in a brass tube. When carbon rods first came avaiable, lots of guys tried them in fuses with pass through tubes in them, and they all broke right at the fuse/wing juncture, really large stress riser and it did not allow the rod to flex across the the width of the fuse.

Most likely the rod is a 3/8" I think and it would take a 1/2" minimum which would require a pretty dramatic redesign of the spar and wing root, and then what it would take to make the fuse tough enough handle no tube to carry the load across it. By the time you were done, you would have gained nothing in weight and probably put the ship at a higher chance of failure.

Marc
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:58 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,306 Posts
Steel bends. Aluminum bends. Carbon fiber breaks.
ChuckA is online now Find More Posts by ChuckA