Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 11, 2014, 01:14 PM
United States, CA, Hollister
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Thanks for the input. I was digging through my rc car stuff and found a couple of traxxas 2080 waterproof servos that look like they will fit. I an going to give them a try and corrosion x is on its way.
thedentman03 is offline Find More Posts by thedentman03
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:52 PM
United States, WI, Mequon
Joined Mar 2014
17 Posts
Spectrum AR636

Does anyone have the Spectrum 636 in an Ultra? If so, what are your gain and heading settings?
hipraven is offline Find More Posts by hipraven
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:01 PM
Thinking about flying
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
887 Posts
The last time I was here was in February when I received my Ultra. Just when I was about to start assembly I had to prepare to move and for the past few months it sat in the box waiting for me to finish it. Well now that I am settled in my new place I have finished the plane and have flown it about a dozen times off grass.

In two weeks I will be going to the lake and then be able to fly off water. However, there has been two times when I was landing, the plane rolled over just when it touched down. This will not be too good on water so I have to know why it would do this.

I think on the first time I may have been coming in too fast in a kind of flat attitude. The second time there was a little head wind and it may have caused the same thing as coming in too fast. Does this thing like to be landed slow with the nose high? I want to figure this out so I don’t roll it over on water (I don’t have any Corrosion X).
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:23 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
968 Posts
Definitely DO NOT fly off water before protecting the electronics. The first time my Ultra touched the lake it was wavy and the nose took a dip. Water went in the front vents and totalled a brand new Eflite 60A ESC. My own fault, but not too happy.

Since then I have dosed my electronics, (ESC and Rx) with LPS 3. Even though I was in aviation for years and CorrosionX was just coming on the market, prefer LPS as we used it in that industry for the same purpose, (and that which it was originally designed anyway). Each to his own. It is also available through any industrial supply house.

Your issue may be due more to friction with the grass. If decel is too aggressive and the nose kicks sideways, recipe for having the tail pull the fuse into a rolling motion.

On water you can cause more problems if the tail is kept too low and there is enough force when it hits the water. This can force the nose down enough to drive it under. Again, with those front vents there is ample opportunity for water to find a way in.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Last edited by Cougar429; Jul 18, 2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 01:34 AM
Joined Jun 2007
425 Posts
I have 30+ landings on the grass/snow, one on paved runway and 10+ on water.
Got to tell you water is the best. Grass needs more docile approach. Runway touchdown is plain wrong as i cracked the belly. Not a jet with gear down!
So waterproof yours and go on the water. That is where this plane shines!
DenisM is offline Find More Posts by DenisM
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:35 AM
Thinking about flying
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
887 Posts
Thanks for the advice on waterproofing. I have flown a Slow Stick on pontoons for several years and all I have done there is to seal up the ends of the ESC with hot-melt and spray some WD-40 on the servo shafts. With the receiver in an EPP foam pouch everything stays dry and functioning. I hope I can do the same with the Polaris.

It’s a fun and interesting plane; drawing all kinds of comments from spectators. I am looking forward to getting it on the water.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:17 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
968 Posts
Anything that prevents water and electronics meeting would be good. The reason I recommended LPS 3 was the fact it wicks into anywhere, seals by forming a thin layer and remains flexible. It also should not be affected by the temps created in the ESC. Not sure if that would be true with Hot Glue.

As for plastic, would not go near any types with WD-40. From what I remember the long term effects on nylon were not good, (think it made it increase volume-swell up-as well). I've seen LPS 3 act aggressively against some forms of plastic only while still active, (say, if trying to store some for use later) but once cured is fine.

For that reason I would recommend when waterproofing components with ANYTHING other than greases, do so away from the airframe unless you have checked it against a piece of scrap foam.

p.s. Last summer we had a float fly where almost a half dozen Polari showed up. One tried to make it back to shore dead stick after only a few minutes in the air and while bobbing in the waves started to smoke, then actually catch fire. From what we were told the owner just returned from a winter in Florida and since he wanted to fly from salt water sealed the ESC in a freezer bag........................

The only humor in that is we were able to confirm fire and water DO mix.
Cougar429 is offline Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:19 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,966 Posts
Bagging or sealing in balloons only ensures that the moisture will stay in closer contact with the electronics. Most folks that bag, don't consider condensation IN the bags over time.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28