HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Discussion
Spitfire Dilemma

I'm in a little bit of a dilemma here. I love my Parkzone Spitfire MkIX, but finding a field to fly it as is rather annoying. The local park's grass is far too long for the Spitfire to do a wheeled takeoff or landing. My school's grass is the same deal, but I occasionally take off and land from the track when there aren't people around (that's rare). The nearest field that has grass short enough for my PZ Spitfire is a 40 minute drive away, which is difficult to do often.

So the question is, should I go up in size or just downsize to a belly lander? I've seen the FMS mini Spitfire and the Art-Tech Spitfire, and I also recently bought plans for a 27inch balsa Spitfire. These would all offer small-space friendly Spitfires, but I'd prefer to do wheeled takeoffs and landings.

Is there a larger foam Spitfire out there that will handle your average soccer field/park grass without complaints? (Preferably with split flaps and retracts) I took a look at the 1400mm FMS Spitfire and I'm too much of a scale snob to buy one.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:18 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,849 Posts
How about wet grass, (or even dry grass. I fly my Sunderland off grass) -

eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
instead of buying another plane like a smaller belly lander why not just fly you spit as a hand launch / belly lander. Should be good to go just remove the LG.
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, MN, Odin
Joined Aug 2010
332 Posts
I had the same issues with my PZ P-47. I ended up getting a second one and I removed the landing gear and it's plastic mounts. Also I took out the rudder servo and tail wheel. It ended up shedding 200 grams. It hand launches great and belly lands fine. I think it would be the same for your Spitfire.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10534
Redhood is online now Find More Posts by Redhood
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
I can currently belly land my PZ Spit, I just don't like it as every couple landings something works loose on the underside.

I also prefer wheel landings. More scale.
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:31 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,413 Posts
The FMS Spit does have its share of scale flaws but its not too hard to modify it to a more scale appearance. Mine is in the rebuild que where I plane to add split flaps and give it proper dihedral. Beyond that the gear placement is the only egregious thing I can think of and i can live with that. TO/landings are easy on short grass fields.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe