HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:21 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Gary View Post
We've covered and recovered several Tangent wing sets with UltraCote.
Adheres well at lower temps which is always a concern and lighter.

Jimbo320... It never made production but a new and much improved Vortex was in the works. Time will tell?
That looks good Gary. I think with some wing lightening the vortex I had would of been better. But then it looks a lot like the 5001 alpina.
What modifications did they make that you know of (apart from the 3 piece wing).
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
229 Posts
Propaganda

jimbo 320
Here’s all the propaganda I had. We had a few “On Order”, for well after forever and they never showed. They flew it at Faszination Modellbau Karrlsruhe 2012 and one of my guys, in Germany, “stumbled” into them test flying it at some event?
Here’s a untested link for info as to the current status of tangent. holger.justus@tangent-event.com

The VORTEX MACH I is not a refinement, but a completely new design.
Optimally designed for large glider competitions.
Suitable for aero-tow and winch start as well as hand start on slopes.
Experience from 10 years of competition has been incorporated into the model.
For dynamic flying, the airfoil load can be increased by the click-ballast system.
The good braking performance of ailerons and cambered flaps in the butterfly position facilitates pinpoint landings.
• Weight-optimized GRP/CFRP fuselage with finely differentiated carbon reinforcement
• Pendulum-type rudder locking system is ready for assembly
• Easy-to-transport, 4-part wing in the latest CHAMP design
• The eliptical lift distribution of the wing is uncompromisingly designed for performance and competitive capabilities
• Force is transmitted via a generously dimensioned rectangular composite hybrid wing strut
• Dimension and torsional characteristics of the rudder flaps are designed for competitive use
• Rudder pre-hinged as elastic flap
• Minimized aileron gap
• Cambered flaps equipped with perfect sealing lip
• Elevators equipped with proven pendulum-type rudder system and integrated tailplane strut
• Laser-cut RC-wood set and high quality small parts
• GRP cockpit canopy for 2.4 GHz operations
• Two-color covering white/blue
• 4-flap model
• Competition design
• Short construction time
• Glider and electric version available

Specification
Wingspan approx. 4400 mm
Overall length, approx. 1930 mm
All-up weight, approx. 5300 g
Wing area 91 dm˛

Wing section TA_30_85
Wing loading 57 g/dm˛
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Apr 29, 2013, 04:22 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,849 Posts
JAY.....points taken. As I've said, the left wings' covering came off easy, I only barely started taking off the right wings' covering, noting that it was stuck down too well and will need some heat to loosen it up to be able to remove it in bigger pieces as oppose to little bits and pieces, but hadn't yet noticed the colored part of the covering remaining. It just only wanted to come off in little pieces. I understand about the weight non-issue as well, as I've explained to others who were concerned about that when contemplating electrifying it or not.

Whether to recover or to watch some videos and attempt to glass, fill, and paint, will be decided later.

Bob
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:29 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,609 Posts
Somehow, managed to squeeze the alpina in for this years Rhossili trip,lets hope wind plays ball and i get chance to fly it
Old Aug 28, 2013, 05:04 PM
When the wind blows
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Jul 2012
459 Posts
The VIEW

The View ! A very good reason to LOVE slope soaring . No noisy engines , just the fantastic breeze and fresh air , one can sit here all day !! Well and fly of course !
African is offline Find More Posts by African
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:48 AM
When the wind blows
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Jul 2012
459 Posts
Sorry , wrong thread , meant for 10 reasons why I love slope soaring
African is offline Find More Posts by African
Old Oct 04, 2013, 02:57 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,609 Posts
Luckily the weather was great at Rhossili, so i got a chance to fly the alpina. I was undecided as it was very windy, about 25 mph+, but dragged it too the top of the 600ft slope.

I dont usually fly the alpina in this much wind, but it flew fine, if the wings did flex somewhat when i loaded up the g-force

Unfortunately, the battery had ran out on my nex camera, so i used the go pro, so there wasnt much footage to get a good edit, but it gives you an idea. After the video of the Alpina, the wind really picked up, so i flew the Pace VX, a 2.5m heavy mouldie (see pace thread), which is most definately a high wind model, and it was eating up the sky. Great to see the Alpina can fly almost in Pace conditions!

Multiplex Alpina 4001 Pro at Rhossili, South Wales (4 min 4 sec)
Old Jan 09, 2014, 02:33 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,609 Posts
Two recent additions to my hanger finally got a maiden. They were my 3.4m Kult and my replacement Multiplex Acrostar.
The wind was 25-30 mph straight on, quite gusty at time. The Kult felt really solid, more so that the alpina would of done in those conditions. It's aerobatic performance was excellent and also excellent inverted with a trusty MH32 section. Zero wing flex, solid and straight. The acrostar was much like my old one that had a hard life, rejuvenated. They are a really good complement to the more impressive Alpina but fly as well as you would expect from something from the Multiplex/tangent stable.

image by slopeflyer12, on Flickr
Old Jul 19, 2014, 02:00 PM
Slovenia
Joined Jun 2008
80 Posts
How is this plane with thermals on flat? I see most use it on slopes. Elektro
Paps1984 is offline Find More Posts by Paps1984
Old Jul 19, 2014, 03:12 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,849 Posts
Ugh. This thread again! I miss my Alpina. Gonna have to order Paul's new video from RadioCarbonArt and learn how to repair mine (which is still up in the rafters of my garage waiting to be fixed.

Bob
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:02 AM
geordie land,uk
Joined Nov 2005
893 Posts
This plane thermals very well from flat field.
simonslim is offline Find More Posts by simonslim