HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:16 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecase View Post
I am getting the BNF version of the Pro. What is esc set to, Brake on or Brake off? I have looked at the manual on line but don't see the info.
In my PNP the break is set too Off. I haven't set it on yet...
Did you get a Little yellow card about your ESC? and a Actual ESC manual?
I found the Book/Manual is Crap lol
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:22 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
In my PNP the break is set too Off. I haven't set it on yet...
Did you get a Little yellow card about your ESC? and a Actual ESC manual?
I found the Book/Manual is Crap lol
I am not supposed to open it til Xmas, so I don't know. If I mess with it early, she will not be happy, and since she sometimes buys me airplanes, I want to keep her happy. There are other reasons too.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:23 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky
I got some Graupner blades in the mail today, unfortunately I won't have time to fit them or fly again for a couple of weeks.

If this is all it takes to get her climbing right I'm happy.

The suspence was killing me so I just had to go and fit them.
These are Graupner 10x6 with a hub size of 6mm and a hole size of 2mm.
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=1249

All you need to do to make them fit the stock spinner is the enlarge the holes to 3mm. I did this with a rat-tail file.
They fold pretty well, half of the the way round they fold completely on the fuz and sit up slightly the rest of the time.
You can see this in the pic. This is because of the built in right thrust.

10.91V
21.1A
230W
6810 RPM
Stock pro motor (low Kv)
Attached Thumbnails

End of Quote.
Wow. 230 W, Looks like just a change to the Graupner prop is the way to go.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:36 AM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Default Settings

Quote:
I am getting the BNF version of the Pro. What is esc set to, Brake on or Brake off? I have looked at the manual on line but don't see the info.
From the instruction manual:

The default settings (from the package) for your E-flite 30-Amp Pro
ESC are as follows:
Voltage cutoff set at 74%
Brake set to Off
Timing set at 15 degrees
Throttle Input Range set at 1.2ms to 1.8ms
Start-up Rate (Acceleration Delay) set at 0.25 seconds
PWM Frequency set at 8KHz
Operating Mode set to normal (airplane)
NCHeliHead is offline Find More Posts by NCHeliHead
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:44 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
I am not supposed to open it til Xmas, so I don't know. If I mess with it early, she will not be happy, and since she sometimes buys me airplanes, I want to keep her happy. There are other reasons too.
haha yea i know where your coming from heres a few pics

Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:53 AM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtware View Post

Biggest problem with my data is I don't have a thrust meter. I thought I could feel a difference in "pull", but no way to prove it. And, as Dr Kiwi and others have proved, an increase in power consumed does not always translate to an increase in thrust.
Low tech thrust meter. Works pretty good. Digital read out. Hang your model off a string to your tail and go WOT. My Radian weighs 27.5oz and pulls 35.4oz thrust. If you hang the model before you hit the scale's power button it will zero/tare at that weight. Then when you take the model off the scale the scale will show how much the models weighs in a negative number. It displays in lb,oz, or kg, has a tare button and the price is right.

http://www.tomtop.com/20g40kg-digita...le_p11432.html
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:00 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtware View Post
The data from my kit motor/prop and the replacement motor/prop that HH sent me, as I originally posted on:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...308946&page=83

Condensed version of data:

Kit motor/kit prop: Average Amps = 11.83; Average Watts = 130.05

kit motor/new prop: Avg Amps = 13.43; Avg Watts = 146.27

new motor/kit prop: Avg Amps = 12.17; Avg Watts = 134.37

new motor/new prop: Avg Amps = 14.29; Avg Watts = 155.26

Seems like the new prop makes up for most of the increase in power... Might just keep the old motor (with the all metal bell), but go with the new prop.

Biggest problem with my data is I don't have a thrust meter. I thought I could feel a difference in "pull", but no way to prove it. And, as Dr Kiwi and others have proved, an increase in power consumed does not always translate to an increase in thrust.
I don't like the idea that we essentially have (2) Radian Pro Threads...but so be it. Here's the percentage deltas I posted in response to rahtware's very helpful work..

Someone please check my numbers on this, but your percentage changes (from stock motor/prop) in both Amps and Watts seem to be:

With just new Motor: Amps= +2.8% Watts= +3.2%
With just new Prop: Amps= +13.5% Watts= +12.4%
With BOTH new Motor and new Prop: Amps= +20.8% Watts= +19.4%

If these numbers are correct...I too am surprised at the relatively small increase in Amp/Watt draw with the new motor.

I would love to see the numbers with the Graupner or EMP 10x8 prop. The EMP has the possibility of yielding even greater thrust.. as per Dr Kiwi's past testing of the EMP line.

Other then actually flying the plane and getting a subjective feel for performance...we might have taken this as far as we can, without testing on a thrust stand.

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:15 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaktech View Post
Low tech thrust meter. Works pretty good. Digital read out. Hang your model off a string to your tail and go WOT. My Radian weighs 27.5oz and pulls 35.4oz thrust. If you hang the model before you hit the scale's power button it will zero/tare at that weight. Then when you take the model off the scale the scale will show how much the models weighs in a negative number. It displays in lb,oz, or kg, has a tare button and the price is right.

http://www.tomtop.com/20g40kg-digita...le_p11432.html
You are a genius...that is a great idea. There are many of these out there, I'm sure there is a version that will do a "weight max peak hold". Another good low cost tuning tool...

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:40 AM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
You are a genius...

Thanks,
-mike-
Thanks for the good word Mike. Actually if you want something dumb ed down I'm your man. The old "keep it simple stupid". Or maybe a better way to say it, keep it "stupid simple". ha ha ha.
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:03 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Now that I am fully awake, I have decided to go with the small gain that the new motor gives and send back the kit motor (as was my agreement with HH)... I just don't have the time to see if they will let me send back the replacement motor, and heck I have a plastic bell motor in my Corsair and it has been doing OK. Besides, the kit motor isn't all metal either.

I am thinking of going to a CAM prop, and don't know how the plastic-bell motor will hold up to the extra Amps, but if it melts down I will upgrade to an all metal motor.

I hope the tests I did will help others. Hope you all have better luck than I, as now that I have the plane ready to fly one of the biggest storms of the year is rolling in. I don't know when I will be able to maiden this bird!
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:22 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Mine has the brake on default...as you'd want

ANYONE help with the DX8 set up......anyone ??
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:37 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
HiYa Mate! You got a Dx8? I'm impressed. Good to see you posting on this thread. You can check back on some of my posts and see what an adventure I've had with my Radian Pro. Sorry I can't help with your setup, I'm still working on sorting out my own setup. PM me when you get a chance.

Mike McD
Hi ya Mike ..how you doing ?? I had a bit of a look but havent had the time to consume the whole thread yet , Ive been flying the Radian 1 for quite a while now and its so good its boring.....
The DX8 went off the air 40m out on the maiden of my pro and it speared in......the aussie agent for both is up the road , they couldnt fix the DX8 ...so gave me a new one......it wouldnt even bind to any RX ,,NOT impressed...... and a new Radian Pro which Im sorting now......will see if HH can help with the R/P DX8 set up
Cheers and merry Xmas
Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Dec 17, 2010, 03:02 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
I have the PNP version of both the Radian and Radian Pro. The ESC came already set to brake ON in both of them.

.........Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY
Old Dec 17, 2010, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
OK, a flight report on the Pro with 'motor x' and complete Aeronaut prop setup with 11x4 blades.

Right up front I'll say (based on what I read here) most guys would not be happy with the climb rate of these 11x4 blades. Thrust is good (it will hang on the prop) and it will climb at 50-60 degrees but it's SLOW. Probably way too slow for ALES.

For my preferred style of relaxed sport flying the 11x4s are fine. I like them even. They literally sip battery juice. The Optic 6 has a throttle activated timer and I was bringing it down after 3-4 minutes of motor run time. The 1050 40C batteries were consistantly at 11.4-11.5v. Pretty sure I can push motor run time to 5 or 6 minutes no problem.

I'm gonna keep flying these 11x4s for a while but based on what I saw today I'm definitely ordering a set of 12x5 blades. More thrust and a little more speed, hopefully. If you're after typical 'screaming eagle' Radian performance I'd say go with the higher pitched 10-11 inch props.

Power off flight performance was a little crappier cuz the Aeronaut stuff added weight to the nose and brought the CG forward of the recommended 70mm. My trims were off and I couldn't get it to float like it did the first day with the CG at 75mm back from the LE. Gonna have to do a rebalance.

......Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY
Old Dec 17, 2010, 03:41 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
The brake being set to "OFF" was a problem on a few of the original Radians also. Seems a few continue to slip through with it set to off. Fairly easy fix though.

So, I wonder if the newer pro's are coming with the plastic motors? Can anyone confirm?

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs