HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2015, 02:39 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,235 Posts
Discussion
what can you suggest for High Voltage Regulator ?

What can you suggest a 100 mA 5 volts Voltage Regulator ?

Been using LM7805 or 78L05 for my datalogging projects, this can only handle 35 Vots.

sometime I need to measure 48 Volts Solar Panel , I don't like to designed another circuit for High Voltage by adding a Zener Diode or resistor drop.

Any Suggestion.
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2015, 03:57 AM
Yes, that is Jamie
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,837 Posts
Not 100% sure what you're asking for, but I'm assuming you're looking for something that can take an input voltage of up to 48v and bring it down and regulate at 5v. My suggestion is to not use a linear regulator to drop that much voltage. It isn't very efficient and may cause the regulator to run hot. A better approach is a switching regulator like this one found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-HRD-12...item25815c629e

Description:

This HRD converter is a voltage switching regulator providing capable
of driving a 3A load with good performance and economic DCDC convertor.
It is using HRD module with minimum components to provide fixture DC output 5V.
2x capacitors 220uF 63v & 470uF 25v to provide guard noise filter at input
and output and power indicator LED.
It can be become adjustable converter if add a variable resistor.
Input voltage: Wide range of input 12-50v.
Output Voltage: 5V.
Output current: Rated current 3A.
Conversion efficiency: Up to 80%.
Input Capacitance : 50v330uf.
Output Capacitance: 16v1000uf.
Operating temperature: Industrial grade (-40 ℃ to +85 ℃).
Full load temperature rise: 40 ℃.
Connection mode: Jack with screw fix.

This is the only one I could find that spans such a wide voltage range and still be reasonably priced. Be aware that there are similar looking converters on the market that have an output of 12v, which may not be a bad thing since it's easier to take 12v and drop it to 5v using a linear regulator.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Mar 03, 2015, 09:34 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,235 Posts
Wes, Wow.... Very Informative.....Thanks

I have one of those you posted. have bought about the same price here in Manila.

Actually, Its for my EagleTree DataLogger, Eagletree can works from 7 Volts to 70 Volts.....have install it on my Motorcycle Battery to Test its charging system, somehow the Datalogger is not working anymore, I guess my Motorcycle Voltage have reach more than 70 volts, anyway I just install a 78L05 , and it works perfectly........Now, I need to measure a Solar Panel 48 Volts that may reach 80 on a open circuit ........ just need to look for a regulator can reach maybe 100 volts my current load is very very small maybe less than 50 mA at most.

I've know the New Version of EagleeTree can work as high as 100 Volts.

Just need a High Voltage Regulator that can works as high as 80 Volts and as low as 7 Volts for a small load of 50 mA only, and as small as TO-92.
Last edited by lazy-b; Mar 03, 2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 04:18 AM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
858 Posts
Something's getting lost in translation...
If you want to measure voltage use a voltage divider to reduce the target voltage to your measurement range. No regulators needed. You can't measure through a regulator anyways.
jakestew is online now Find More Posts by jakestew
Old Mar 04, 2015, 06:01 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestew View Post
Something's getting lost in translation...
If you want to measure voltage use a voltage divider to reduce the target voltage to your measurement range. No regulators needed. You can't measure through a regulator anyways.
I am building a Datalogger than can just plug into 7 Volts to 100 Volts Battery, its a very wide range input Voltage.......need 5V or 3.3 Volts to power the Microcontroller . a Voltage divider will be use to drop the 100 Volts to 3.3 Volts to be connected to Analog input of microcontroller.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 06:15 AM
"MAYONNAISE"
Le Treport, France
Joined Jun 2004
1,452 Posts
Hi, Ellion

this one, may be ??? ...
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl783.pdf

a good ol' dog !!!

Alain
Acetronics is offline Find More Posts by Acetronics
Old Mar 04, 2015, 06:42 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,235 Posts
Alain,

Wow....Thats Exactly what I am looking for......the Specs is more than I expected...

and its available at our local RScomponent website.

Thanks.

Ellion
Old Mar 04, 2015, 08:25 PM
Yes, that is Jamie
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetronics View Post
Hi, Ellion

this one, may be ??? ...
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl783.pdf

a good ol' dog !!!

Alain
Thanks for the tip Alain. That regulator will work great in a plate voltage regulator circuit for some of my vacuum tube projects.

-Wes
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish