Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Gary Evans, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:32 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,311 Posts
can any one tell me which one is line of sight or fpv?
TEST FOR FPV (1 min 43 sec)
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2014, 09:28 AM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,742 Posts
I got a letter from my Congressman. Not much to say, but I thought I'd post it none-the-less. He's the US Speaker of the House:

Quote:
Dear David :

Thank you for contacting me in regard to model aircraft. It is good to hear from you.

The aviation industry plays a vital part in the lives of all Americans. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), an agency within the Department of Transportation (DOT), oversees and regulates the nation's aviation system and is responsible for ensuring that all air traffic moves quickly, efficiently, and safely through our nation's airspace.

On February 14, 2012, the president signed into law the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 . Section 336 of the law defines the term "model aircraft" and prohibits the FAA from promulgating any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft if certain statutory requirements are met.

On June 25, 2014, the FAA published in the Federal Register a notice of its interpretation of the statutory special rules for model aircraft in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. According to the FAA, the notice:

Restates the law's definition of 'model aircraft,' including requirements that they not interfere with manned aircraft, be flown within sight of the operator and be operated only for hobby or recreational purposes. The agency also explains that model aircraft operators flying within five miles of an airport must notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower.

The proposal's public comment period closed on July 25, 2014. Rest assured I will keep your thoughts in mind should this issue come before Congress.

Thank you again for contacting me with your thoughts. Please don't hesitate to inform me of your concerns in the future.

Sincerely,

John A. Boehner
Member of Congress
So pretty much a whole lot of nothing. To put it in context, I sent him a letter stating my objections to the interpretations, how the FAA is trying to regulate model aircraft where no regulations exist, etc. When I talked to his aid on the phone, he assured me that it was the intent of Congress to do nothing more than what is written above. Anything beyond that, in his opinion (and now affirmed by the Speaker, I suppose), is beyond the bounds of the intent of the law.

It seems to me, he's being a typical politician- state the obvious and then stand back and wait and see what happens. Be reactive instead of proactive. But this part of Ohio is heavily invested in UAS, so I know he is keeping an eye on the FAA. Oh, and this was written before the extension was announced.

Say what you will about the guy, but every time I've ever contacted him about anything, he's responded with a hand signed letter. I'm not so na´ve to think that he wrote it himself, but none of my other congressmen (two Senators) even acknowledge my existence...
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Jul 29, 2014, 03:36 PM
United States, GA, Macon
Joined Nov 2013
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
There. Just submitted my 16-page rebuttal to the FAA's interpretation. Tracking number 1jy-8dcj-6jz5.

You can read my full comment here if you're interested: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Comment.pdf

Here is an excerpt from the final section of the portion on FPV:
Completely agree!!

Reasonable laws are obeyed by 99% of the population. Unreasonable laws are ignored by 99% of the population.
maconjames is online now Find More Posts by maconjames
Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM
I feel the need for speed
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
can any one tell me which one is line of sight or fpv?
My guess would be test 2 or 3 are fpv, but more likely only 3.
BaracW is offline Find More Posts by BaracW
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
I think I can summarize that for you Brendan,

Because promising new technology is disruptive and potentially dangerous in the wrong hands we are going to ban it. Furthermore we are going to prohibit any study of it by our nation's brightest young minds. Nice to live in a progressive country.

I'm reminded of any number of historical precedents. Galileo vs the Church for example. I wonder if it will take the FAA more or less than the 350 years it took the Vatican to reverse itself?
Why go all the way back to the Renaissance for an example? In 1972 it was illegal to hook an answering machine to your telephone, illegal for a non-Bell company to produce a telephone and illegal for you to own a telephone. We've come a long way, baby!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
United States, FL, Dunedin
Joined Jan 2013
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Why go all the way back to the Renaissance for an example? ,,,,,,,,,, We've come a long way, baby!
No we haven't gone very far at all.
We just keep going around in circles making lawyers and politicians richer as we do.
Stitch1615 is offline Find More Posts by Stitch1615
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaracW View Post
My guess would be test 2 or 3 are fpv, but more likely only 3.
it was 1 and 2
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
Old Today, 01:44 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,751 Posts
Just want to drop in here and say that the FAA are relaxing CoA flight
restrictions. FPV is now *possible* under a CoA. Which is cool for me,
not so much for the average hobbyist.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Today, 05:15 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post

-Blues
What are you talking about?

scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Today, 06:36 AM
Joined Feb 2009
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post

-Blues
FAA links?
Rusty105 is offline Find More Posts by Rusty105
Old Today, 12:57 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
What are you talking about?

If you are a large public entity with enough push (e.g. a university) you can file for a certificate of authorization from the FAA that lets you fly under fpv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105 View Post
FAA links?
I dont have any links... it was just kinda a "insider" thing that I thought you guys would like to know about internal FAA momentum.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Today, 03:04 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,799 Posts
Yeah .. good luck trying getting a CoA .. it's a pain and cost you a tons of money.

I am interested what part they are going to relax...
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi