Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 19, 2014, 07:46 AM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,141 Posts
Discussion
Permanent Power Supply for Field

I am thinking of modifying, or buying a server power supply, and mounting it permanently in our open building at the club for all to use.

How would you mount/enclose it, as the building is open, and it would be subject to humidity(not rain), and possibly theft?

How would you make multiple outputs (banana jacks, bus bar)?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Hammer is online now Find More Posts by Hammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:12 AM
United States, GA, Calhoun
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
I don't know much about server power supply's but I've worked with electronics on large special purpose trucks. I don't think humidity would be a problem, you would want to mount it so it was not in direct sunlight. You could use a home breakerbox type enclosure if the power supply is not too large to fit. I would use female banana jacks mounted in the door or side of the enclosure. How many chargers would be used at one time? Would the power supply have enough output to supply more than one charger? I've seen a charger drain an auto battery after charging 4 6s batteries.
KaP2011 is offline Find More Posts by KaP2011
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:26 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,214 Posts
I'd use 10x10mm aluminium or brass bus bars. Drill a lot of 4mm holes in them. Some can be used for screws to fix them, the rest will accept 4mm banana plugs. Ordinary alligator clips will work as well.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:42 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,493 Posts
Yes, you would use a metal box such as a breaker box, I would put in some vents for air circulation and have it setup to be locked. The vents should be so that water doesn't get in easily if there is a rain storm, a couple of drain holes on the bottom is good as well has having the power supply mounted up off the bottom too. Usually they use buss bars to distribute the DC voltage for people to connect to.

The other thought is if you have AC power to drive the power supply with, then simply wire in AC outlets for everyone to use. That is what we did at our field, All of the work tables have two to four AC outlets.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Old Feb 19, 2014, 07:11 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
I'd use 10x10mm aluminium or brass bus bars. Drill a lot of 4mm holes in them. Some can be used for screws to fix them, the rest will accept 4mm banana plugs. Ordinary alligator clips will work as well.
Great idea Julez, that's perfect! Thanks!

The PS will be in a shed with no walls, like most fields have. I'm not too worried about rain, just humidity. I will probably build a wooden enclosure. The server power supplies are long and skinny, probably not a good fit for a breaker box.
Hammer is online now Find More Posts by Hammer
Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:56 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,214 Posts
Maybe it would be good to clad the enclosure with some rusty sheet metal, and have a rat's nest of old wires stick out at randomly placed holes.
People steal everything nowadays, so a bit of camouflage to make it look like worthless crap can't hurt.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:18 PM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Yes, you would use a metal box such as a breaker box, I would put in some vents for air circulation and have it setup to be locked. The vents should be so that water doesn't get in easily if there is a rain storm, a couple of drain holes on the bottom is good as well has having the power supply mounted up off the bottom too. Usually they use buss bars to distribute the DC voltage for people to connect to.

The other thought is if you have AC power to drive the power supply with, then simply wire in AC outlets for everyone to use. That is what we did at our field, All of the work tables have two to four AC outlets.
The cost of heavy gauge wire is enough to discourage running 24vdc or especially 12VDC
over any extended distance. With multiple stands 120vac makes far more sense.
(Even if you have to add a 12 or 24v power supply at each stand.)
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75