HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:04 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
You got that right John. Flying with all the people with like passions at VSC is an experience that lasts all year. It is so neat to see what others bring to fly. I wish I could go every year but I have missed a few and won't make it this year either. I have many friends that will be there so I can keep up with what is going on.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:51 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,905 Posts
Yep, the friends are the best. Unfortunately the average age of control line guys is much older than typical RC guys and the bad part of that is that we lose some of our friends but their memories are treasures. I'm sure you head that I lost my flying mentor / teacher / friend recently with the passing of Mike Donovan. He won't make VSC this year but he will be there in spirit. I won't have him to fill me in so you may have to post about it when you get your info.
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:58 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,069 Posts
Ilike the chalange. Chalange to build light and strong and the chalange of flight. That outside square is weeked.
Traian is online now Find More Posts by Traian
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:21 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
Mike was one of my very good friends also John. My wife and I spent many hours with Mike and Joan eating out at VSC and other contests. Mike was a great modeler, and loved this hobby. He built so many neat planes like the Galloping Comedian, Sig Mustang, El Diablo, and my favorite the Black Tiger. He was always positive and I will miss him a lot.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:46 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,905 Posts
I knew you two were friends and I couldn't have said it better Jim. I was fortunate enough to have him as my teacher from day one and I flew most of his planes including those listed above. He really love the Black Tiger in particular but to be honest, I think he was at his best flying that old red El Diablo and later the yellow one. One thing many don't know is that way way way back in the late 70s Mike taught me to fly R/C when I was just a kid. Of course Mike few c/l prior to this and then went into R/C when it was first introduced. Many may know that he flew R/C but probably don't know that at one time he was considered as good of a pattern pilot as any in the US. When he couldn't compete anymore due to there being no contests anymore for the most part, he went back to C/L. About 4 or 5 years ago I got back into modeling after a period of time flying full scale and then small r/c helicopters. When I went to the field I found mike in the circle. I decided to give it a try and now I'm flying Advanced PA. Ahhh yes the memories.

Speaking of memories, this thread is about our favorite part of c/l and as I said my friends are the best and how can memories of friends get any better then these?
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Last edited by johnbyrne; Feb 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM.