Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:39 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
You do need three batteries in the harness, but they don't all have to be equally discharged, so you could have a full, a half and an empty battery in there (Don't try this with a 'normal' parallel harness).
Please, just STOP this BS.

I put everyday NOT EQUALLY discharged cells in parallel, they are of course different capacity from 260 mAh to 600 mAh.

I even connected fully charged batteries to empty ones and nothing happened because it was explained here numerous times that current's flowing aren't that high like you are trying to tell.

What is really UNSAFE -> is using series balanced harness to charge DIFFERENT capacity/charge state cells and telling people the are OK putting different mAh in this harness.

Only for sake "seeing the voltages on charger screen"

So please, get your xxx right and do not mis-inform ppl.

EOT
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Last edited by shafter; Oct 09, 2012 at 05:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:44 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,926 Posts
Quote:
All you can do is inform people about available options as objectively as possible and let them make their own decisions.

As for checking, I've got several of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330730909870 and they're great. They autodetect the number of cells connected and cycle through the different voltages on the display. For larger batteries (or several joined together in a balance charging harness) you can also set the discharged voltage you want them to 'alarm' at. Perfect for my AR.Drone when flying with the full sized Tx, as I can't see the flashing lights warning at a distance. Video here (not mine) shows one in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjnMjd3-3g
Man, this is amazing how cheap those got, I remember the times you had to pay like 8$ for one of these ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
Please, just STOP this BS.

I put everyday NOT EQUALLY discharged cells in parallel, they are of course different capacity from 260 mAh to 600 mAh.

I even connected fully charged batteries to empty ones and nothing happened because it was explained here numerous times that current's flowing aren't that high like you are trying to tell.

What is really UNSAFE -> is using series balanced harness to charge DIFFERENT capacity/charge state cells and telling people the are OK putting different mAh in this harness.

Only for sake "seeing the voltages on charger screen"

So please, get your xxx right and do not mis-inform ppl.

EOT
What you choose to do is your own choice, but that's not evidence of anything.
If you have any, then post a link. That would be a first, as no one ever has in the past, which would be a really, really easy way to prove the point.

No such thing as a 'series balanced harness'. Each battery is connected in parallel to the charger, not to each other.

Imagine three separate chargers, each connected to their own, single 1s battery and they all charge at the same current. There is also a link between the chargers/batteries to display the total voltage, but this is purely for information, because they are charged through different wires. Oh, and stick some diodes in those chargers to stop current flowing backwards where it shouldn't. Obviously you can display the (possibly different) voltages of the individual cells as well on each separate charger.

That's all a balance harness is, so yes, you can stick a different battery in one of those 'virtual' chargers, because the other batteries don't care and are not even connected to it apart from the charger display monitoring its voltage

You want any further information, go and research simple electrical circuits, as I can't explain it any simpler than that, so that's my final post on the subject.
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Oct 09, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:50 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
I've just tested two LiPo's in my V939.

1. Those of you, who alredy tried Nanotech 300mAh 35-70C or similar knows that it transforms this little quad literally to a beast.

Today i've tried updated 45C-90C version:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Pro_100_.html

It's even better than "older" 35-70C, develops unbelieveable amount of punch what equals to very good flight charateristic and stability.

Also lasts a bit longer than the previous model.

I don't measure my flight times, but it's full throttle blasting around

2. Second battery i tested was 260 mAh (direct LB replacement) and after testing 45-90C 300 mAh i can only tell that they are OK and better than stock cells, but the 300 mAh are just SO MUCH BETTER.

They last noticeable shorter than both types 300 mAh and they lack at least 1/3 punch of bigger cells.

I'm thinking about shooting video stock vs 35C-70C 300mAh vs 45-90C 300mAh vs 260 mAh, because the differences are so huge and noticeable that you will know better than my words

At the end usual disclaimer/warining:

Those 300 mAh cells (both types) have WRONG POLARITY.

If you want to use them in your V939 you need to swap the wires in the plug.

I.
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Last edited by shafter; Oct 09, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:26 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
I've originally posted this in the V939 thread, but i think that other submicro quad owners might try to give it a shot:

Paper canopy for sub micro quads
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:33 AM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
What you choose to do is your own choice, but that's not evidence of anything.
If you have any, then post a link. That would be a first, as no one ever has in the past, which would be a really, really easy way to prove the point.

No such thing as a 'series balanced harness'. Each battery is connected in parallel to the charger, not to each other.

Imagine three separate chargers, each connected to their own, single 1s battery and they all charge at the same current. There is also a link between the chargers/batteries to display the total voltage, but this is purely for information, because they are charged through different wires. Oh, and stick some diodes in those chargers to stop current flowing backwards where it shouldn't. Obviously you can display the (possibly different) voltages of the individual cells as well on each separate charger.

That's all a balance harness is, so yes, you can stick a different battery in one of those 'virtual' chargers, because the other batteries don't care and are not even connected to it apart from the charger display monitoring its voltage

You want any further information, go and research simple electrical circuits, as I can't explain it any simpler than that, so that's my final post on the subject.
I assume a multicell LiPo like 2s/3s and so on is discharged in series then, but with the help of a balancer cable charged in parallel, right?
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:45 AM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Banggood now has cheap 7mm replacement motors:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-7m...0487522012019E
Nice price!

When they are in stock again, I buy some and a FC. Then I build me one quad from junk in my garage.

Edit, spelling
Stenkryparen is online now Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Last edited by Stenkryparen; Oct 09, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:27 PM
Flight cadet
The Netherlands, OV, Enschede
Joined Jul 2012
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgchris
I assume a multicell LiPo like 2s/3s and so on is discharged in series then, but with the help of a balancer cable charged in parallel, right?
see http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html and choose 3S 1P (show balancer wire -> Yes)
oxygen is offline Find More Posts by oxygen
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgchris View Post
Yes.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:14 PM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
I've just tested two LiPo's in my V939.

1. Those of you, who alredy tried Nanotech 300mAh 35-70C or similar knows that it transforms this little quad literally to a beast.

Today i've tried updated 45C-90C version:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Pro_100_.html

It's even better than "older" 35-70C, develops unbelieveable amount of punch what equals to very good flight charateristic and stability.

Also lasts a bit longer than the previous model.

I don't measure my flight times, but it's full throttle blasting around

2. Second battery i tested was 260 mAh (direct LB replacement) and after testing 45-90C 300 mAh i can only tell that they are OK and better than stock cells, but the 300 mAh are just SO MUCH BETTER.

They last noticeable shorter than both types 300 mAh and they lack at least 1/3 punch of bigger cells.

I'm thinking about shooting video stock vs 35C-70C 300mAh vs 45-90C 300mAh vs 260 mAh, because the differences are so huge and noticeable that you will know better than my words

At the end usual disclaimer/warining:

Those 300 mAh cells (both types) have WRONG POLARITY.

If you want to use them in your V939 you need to swap the wires in the plug.

I.
+1 ^

I just got my Nano-tech300mah 45-90C batteries in today. All I can say is "WOW!" I tried a short flight in both my X100 and my V939. What a difference. The V939 is way better than even with the nano-tech 300 35-70, and those already made a big difference! I am blown away by these batteries! I can't wait for my Walkera LB V1 parts to arrive so I can try them in that as well. Next step, though, will be to try them in my QR Scorpion. Keep my fingers crossed and hope that they will improve performance on it as well, Lord knows it needs it right now as I don't have the original batteries for it and the 35-70 mah batteries that I've been running don't seem to have very much "punch" in the Scorpion. And they also don't last more than 3 or 4 minutes!

Gerard.

As mentioned above be aware that the polarity is reversed on these. I just cut off the plastic "wings" on the sides and marked the negative side with a black permanent marker to make it easier to see which way to put them in.I changed all the connectors on all my micro-quads to JST connectors and these fit in there no problem with the "wings" cut off.
gwrivest is offline Find More Posts by gwrivest
Last edited by gwrivest; Oct 09, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: warning about reversed polarity.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
I just got my Nano-tech300mah 45-90C batteries in today. All I can say is "WOW!"
+10 :-)

I've just tried my 45-90C 300mah this afternoon too. What a punch!!!!

My LB/v939 hybrid flies like hell. What a speed and punch.

Using original LB motorarms and motors and LB Props with a v939 frame and board and this lipo (200mah 45-90C) is the BEST BEASTY combination.
Always much fun and everytime challenge in- and outside. I can do very fast bank turns outside. (Sorry, no video)
Beats my stock v939!
You should try this. As I don't have a original LB v1 I can't say if it performs similar or better, but it feels more agile than the stock v939. LB motors seem to be more power.

Even if you fly your v939 stock, you should get some original Ladybird Props. They speed up your bird as they are the best props for these micros.
I changed them this afternoon and my other stock v939 got more agile an faster.
mystman is offline Find More Posts by mystman
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:37 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,645 Posts
Quote:
The second video I understand, but what are we looking at in the first one? Are you able to select between the colours and flashing/non flashing in some way?

Because if you are, I'd like to set them up something like: flashing at the front and Green/Red at the rear. Got 4 sets on the way.
The first video simply shows the LED flasher boards in operation, nothing more nothing less. These are really cheap, really simple tiny boards... there are no buttons, switches or options. You wire 'em up, plug them in, and they sequentially flash. If you want more sophisticated lights.... well I think you'll have to pay more than the 4 for $3. that these are.
btw... BG recently changed the description/price on these, originally these replacement flashy lights are for a Coaxial Heli.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
The first video simply shows the LED flasher boards in operation, nothing more nothing less. These are really cheap, really simple tiny boards... there are no buttons, switches or options. You wire 'em up, plug them in, and they sequentially flash. If you want more sophisticated lights.... well I think you'll have to pay more than the 4 for $3. that these are.
btw... BG recently changed the description/price on these, originally these replacement flashy lights are for a Coaxial Heli.
OK, I was confused as I don't have an LB and now see they have LEDs built in (like my X100, but not my U816). The first 30 seconds is just two Ladybirds sitting there, then they swap positions and the one that was on the right, is now on the left and is now flashing at the front only.

In the second video, do the standard LED's really not show up at all? Or did you disconnect them to show the flashing ones more clearly?

Some notes with the videos might make it clearer.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
Even if you fly your v939 stock, you should get some original Ladybird Props. They speed up your bird as they are the best props for these micros.
I changed them this afternoon and my other stock v939 got more agile an faster.
Interesting/good news that you thought the LB props were better. I found they were good too and that possibly means the stock v939 props are somewhat similar in performance to U816 props.

No one else has yet done a comparison to extend what I learned here, but if you like LB props, you might like X100 props even more.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Interesting/good news that you thought the LB props were better. I found they were good too and that possibly means the stock v939 props are somewhat similar in performance to U816 props.

No one else has yet done a comparison to extend what I learned here, but if you like LB props, you might like X100 props even more.
I couldn't check the X100 props as BG sent me 3+1 instead of 2+2 :-(
The second thing I like with the LB props is that they are elastic. I haven't had any broken LB propbs only bent which I could re-bend. They are very robust.
The third thing,: you can get them at your LHS (and they are not too expensive...OK getting a 3pack at BG is much cheaper, but takes longer)
I broke 2 v939 stock props on my first flights.They are too stiff.
mystman is offline Find More Posts by mystman