HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:59 AM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
The Flap Kit simply includes the linkages and control horns to make the conversion.
george@dream-flight is online now Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
905 Posts
Thanks.
gentle ben is online now Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
It's not shipping from outside the US, if you didn't notice, this model is at their Miami Florida warehouse, they have 2 US warehouses with different stock at each location, so shipping would be no more or no less than a model this size would cost from FL to KY for you.
Have you bought one? When I tried they charged $56 for shipping. I backed out of the deal and will wait for Calypso. To be fair the plane seems to be the same as the Cermark motor glider just under the Calypso review. That plane is $130 plus $12 shipping for a "limited time". I don't know and have not dealt with Cermark or the company you linked. I know and have had dealings with Tower and with their customer service department and both are worth the wait and the extra money in my oppinion.
Last edited by gentle ben; Jul 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
Have you bought one? When I tried they charged $56 for shipping. I backed out of the deal and will wait for Calypso. To be fair the plane seems to be the same as the Cermark motor glider just under the Calypso review. That plane is $130 plus $12 shipping for a "limited time". I don't know and have not dealt with Cermark or the company you linked. I know and have had dealings with Tower and with their customer service department and both are worth the wait and the extra money in my oppinion.
They seem to be sold out right now. I have one from a different source since last year. Here is a review of the plane:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450292 and yeah, it's the same plane from Cermark and other vendors.

another:
http://www.gravesrc.com/ZD_FLY_EAGLE.../cerazd383.htm
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:25 PM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
The Calypso TxR kits are being released.
george@dream-flight is online now Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:00 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
905 Posts
Had the TxR module for some time, now I have a reason to hook it up.

Darn if I'm not an early adopter again.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:49 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Nice review. Well written, great photos and good reporting. Thanks for providing the review.

I would be interested in any further experience anyone can report.

I am a member of a glider club. We have a lot of Radans, Radian Pros and some Easy Glider Pros. Has anyone flow this glider and those who can provide a comparison?

We have a monthly Altitude Limited Electric Soaring contest. Can this glider hit 200 meters in 30 seconds on the climb? If it can it would be a good candidate for the ALES e-glider contest format. If not, then has anyone put a watch and an altimiter on it to see what it hits in 30 seconds? A Stock Radian hits about 170 meters and, with a prop change will hit 200 meters. I would be VERY interested to know how this one does on climb.

Has anyone put a wattmeter on the stock motor/prop/battery combo?

How well does it thermal. Contests are a great way to get a good reading on the thermal soaring ability of a plane compared to other gliders. Has anyone tried this in a soaring contest?

I have to say that the range on the receiver concerns me for the RTF or TX-R versions. From what I have read the Tactic receivers are only good for 1000 feet. At lest the Anylink module states it is only good for 1000 feet and the limiter is usually the receiver.

1000 feet is not enough range for a glider of this wing span. I would be VERY concerned about flying out of range when thermal soaring as this glider could easily get higher and farther out than 1000 feet in the hands of an experienced glider pilot.

Eager for any feedback on these points.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 21, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:05 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
905 Posts
Tactic website states reciever is a "full range reciever" What ever that means? As I have one on the way I would also be very interested in the range of the transmitter AnyLink module. 1000 feet is about 3.3 football fields goal-line to goal-line. At my age and eyesight it maybe a non-issue but I would still like to have something definitive.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:47 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Based on the Anylink page:
.http://www.tacticrc.com/tacj2000.html

AnyLink has a range of 1,000 feet (304.8 meters), making it ideal for park fliers and other small electrics

That might be finefor most small electrics but I would not use it for this glider.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:07 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
905 Posts
aeajr,

I can't believe in this litigious society that Hobbico would even allow for the use of a controller that they knew was unable to maintain control through out the entire flight envelope.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:39 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle ben View Post
aeajr,

I can't believe in this litigious society that Hobbico would even allow for the use of a controller that they knew was unable to maintain control through out the entire flight envelope.
The range is stated. Up to the pilot to stay in range.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:02 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
This is a sailplane not a park flyer, range extremely important here, I strongly suggest to have system well over distance of mere 1000 feet, at least a thermal ride please. What it's all about. Enjoy !
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:20 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,373 Posts
I have seen this plane specked out using a Tatic transmitter while at SEFF. The Hobbico guys entered it in the LMR down there and it held it's own with a good pilot. I got one flight on it late in the day so thermals were not very active. It does have decent power but I can't tell you how high it can get in 30 sec. To me it felt more powerful then the original radian but I think it's also a touch heavier.

I'll have another chance to fly it this weekend at WATTS over Owatonna. Great Planes will be there and have a couple of these with for people to test out. Maybe I'll even quiz the guys on the whole range with the Anylink on this plane.

Steve
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:52 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
905 Posts
Steve,

I'd be interested in your conversations. This is the problem with having three lawyers in the imediate family. But on the other hand, that is probably why my favorite all time joke is ...

What's black and brown and looks good on a lawyer?

A Doberman.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:40 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,059 Posts
Have to wait till September for mine. The ARF is more in my price range. Meanwhile, I'll be on the sidelines learning from you guys..
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO