Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:36 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,656 Posts
Looks good, just dont paint the element black, reflector ok. They can use carbon in the formulas when mixed up and that will greatly reduce range. Clear coat will be a better option on the antenna.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2014, 02:08 PM
Just FPV'n
Orange County Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
Looks good, just dont paint the element black, reflector ok. They can use carbon in the formulas when mixed up and that will greatly reduce range. Clear coat will be a better option on the antenna.
Thanks Martin..

I'll be sure to give the element a light coat of clear....
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:44 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2007
839 Posts
Well here is mine
I hope the cable I used is ok, it might be a little small, but at this short length I hope it does not matter much.

also, not sure if something like this has been posted, but this helped me straighten the copper wire first with a drill:
How to straighten 10g copper wire the easy way (0 min 42 sec)
yzguy is online now Find More Posts by yzguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: wing wing z-84 fpv setup
Old Jun 26, 2014, 07:46 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,306 Posts
That looks great to me.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2014, 05:22 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2007
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That looks great to me.

-Alex
thanks, I hope to try it out soon

BTW if anyone is wondering, I used 1/4" expanded PVC for the backing and the standoff (probably could have use 1/8 for the backing, but I had 1/4), galvanized plate for the reflector, and a copper tube for the ground connection.

another hint is attach the copper tube to the reflector first using a torch to heat it and melt the solder, also use the torch to tin the other end of the copper tube (obviously without the cable inside), as well as the element connections. Once you have solder on all these, getting them to connect with a soldering iron is much easier than if you did not do this. Also it takes less heat to connect them, and you won't burn up your cable inside that tube connecting the ground.
yzguy is online now Find More Posts by yzguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: wing wing z-84 fpv setup
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:02 AM
United States, FL, Lady Lake
Joined Oct 2013
384 Posts
IB, is this good for 433mhz ?

Long dist. flight would go in one direction so the dipole spread energy where it's not needed.

I would think beaming it to the direction of flight with at least 60degree cone is quite good.

6.8" section length makes it large but not impossible. If you fly in windy places, perhaps using copper screen (EBay) as reflector would work, wouldn't it ?

Also, I used both Aluminum plates (happened to have it) then later copper plated PCB and found that copper ones got me better pictures (steady and clearer). Has anyone compare them ?
Modglock20 is offline Find More Posts by Modglock20
Last edited by Modglock20; Jul 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 05:50 AM
Joined Jul 2012
150 Posts
Biquad mount

How did you mount your Biquad antenna onto your ground station/ tripod such that you can still pan/ tilt your antenna to point it in the direction of your plane? Does this Biquad from VAS come with a standard tripod connector?

Please post a picture to show if you can.

Cheers
cruisercruiser is offline Find More Posts by cruisercruiser