HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 05, 2010, 08:57 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2007
28 Posts
Discussion
Walkera 036 Dragonfly Help!

I just got one of these helicopters from a private sale, and I managed to bang it up pretty good already, does anyone have info on manuals and parts lists that they can forward to me? I am usually very patient but somehow I managed major damage in less than 2 seconds. I need help, I am new to helicopters!

Todd
Todd D is offline Find More Posts by Todd D
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:13 AM
Registered User
United States, LA, Oak Grove
Joined Oct 2006
381 Posts
xheli has the parts that you need i really don't no where you get a manual at
stutts121472 is offline Find More Posts by stutts121472
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2010, 06:52 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,372 Posts
2 seconds is about par for a beginner with one of those helis. Even in the hands of a good pilot, it has poor durability and reliability. It's a terrible heli for beginners. Before spending money on parts, you may want to consider buying something else. But, ask here first.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2010, 08:45 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2007
28 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the info on parts and opinion, I am just plain pissed. I made a simple, major error that was totally avoidable. I got the thing relatively cheap and it came with some spares of the parts that I now need to replace plus it came with a brushless motor/esc upgrade. It looks like I need to find replacements for the main drive shaft which is bent bad, and some tail rotor linkages, but over all its doesn't seem too bad considering. I think I will probably seek out parts, but I do appreciate the advice on finding a different Heli.

What models do you recommend?
Todd D is offline Find More Posts by Todd D
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2010, 09:16 PM
Registered User
emberjelly's Avatar
N.S.W, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
320 Posts
For a beginner? It depends if you want to get seriously into the hobby, a good simulator is a good start. Then a 500 size heli for a beginner is the best size.

a trex 500 was my first cp heli.
emberjelly is offline Find More Posts by emberjelly
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2010, 09:29 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
Thanks for the info on parts and opinion, I am just plain pissed. I made a simple, major error that was totally avoidable. I got the thing relatively cheap and it came with some spares of the parts that I now need to replace plus it came with a brushless motor/esc upgrade. It looks like I need to find replacements for the main drive shaft which is bent bad, and some tail rotor linkages, but over all its doesn't seem too bad considering. I think I will probably seek out parts, but I do appreciate the advice on finding a different Heli.

What models do you recommend?
Most people start with a basic coax heli, like the ESky Lama V4. It's cheap, reasonably durable and parts and upgrades are readily available. It won't teach you a lot, but will allow you to learn basic orientation. Sort of getting your feet wet.

Many people opt for an SRB Quark FP heli. It's the best flying and most durable trainer there is. It used to be very expensive, about $350 or more. But recent price drops to $210 - $240 are making it a very popular choice. They rarely need upgrades and maintenance is very cheap.

An ESky Honey Bee FP V2 is an FP heli that's very similar to the Walkera 36 you own, in many respects. It's about as difficult to fly. But, it's very cheap and durable and easy to fix. A big part of learning to fly a heli is air time versus bench time. You can't beat the Quark for that; the HBFP isn't far behind, it's just much more difficult to fly.

If you wish to persist with CP helis, you can give yourself a better chance with a Blade 400 or DX6i radio and a Trex 450 clone. The key being 450 size and programmable Tx. These two elements are very important to learning to fly a CP heli.

To learn to fly most helis, a decent sim is very important. You probably don't need one for a coax or a Quark. A little sim time would not hurt for an HBFP. But, it will save you much money and down-time on a CP heli.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2010, 10:12 PM
Registered User
United States, LA, Oak Grove
Joined Oct 2006
381 Posts
i don't think that the 36 is that bad i have one i also have trex 450 &250 the 36 is a real nice flying it is stable but i have upgraded mine with cnc head brushless motor and a dx6i
stutts121472 is offline Find More Posts by stutts121472
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2010, 10:53 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutts121472 View Post
i don't think that the 36 is that bad i have one i also have trex 450 &250 the 36 is a real nice flying it is stable but i have upgraded mine with cnc head brushless motor and a dx6i
I had a 36 as well. By the time you get done replacing everything that's weak, you have a 36 frame, canopy and tailboom. For the cost of upgrade and replacement parts you could buy two 450 clone kits and be much better off. In any case, a 36 is still a lousy beginner heli.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 07:57 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2007
28 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, I am pretty much a airplane flyer at the moment, I picked up the 36 because it was cheap, complete and came with upgrades. I am not really serious about helis at the moment so I am not sure what I will do after I get the parts replacements. I can see just from prior experience with RC that the Radio needs to be upgraded especially with all the precision that goes into heli maneuvering.

Thanks again to all that have contributed my questions, all have been helpful.
Todd D is offline Find More Posts by Todd D
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, I am pretty much a airplane flyer at the moment, I picked up the 36 because it was cheap, complete and came with upgrades. I am not really serious about helis at the moment so I am not sure what I will do after I get the parts replacements. I can see just from prior experience with RC that the Radio needs to be upgraded especially with all the precision that goes into heli maneuvering.

Thanks again to all that have contributed my questions, all have been helpful.
You may find the 36 is a much more friendly if you have a programmable radio setup you can use with it. Adjusting swash travel, adding expo and tweaking throttle and pitch curves, can do wonders to tame it down. Add some flybar weights, too.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Walkera Dragonfly 22D FNFAL Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Dec 15, 2009 06:49 AM
Off Site Walkera Dragonfly 6 channel #35 Heli BNIB Mike Palko Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Nov 25, 2009 08:55 PM
For Sale Walkera Dragonfly 6 channel #35 Heli BNIB Mike Palko Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Nov 08, 2009 11:10 AM
Discussion Walkera Dragonfly fittegutt Coaxial Helicopters 2 Oct 20, 2009 11:59 AM
For Sale SoCal: Walkera Dragonfly 36 3D Nakioki Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 14 Sep 17, 2009 01:52 AM