HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:11 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,812 Posts
Thanks Razor I did find that one when I was looking but they had more consistent bad reviews then any other RC company in history , not one single good review , and worse yet one of the complaints is "they said it was in stock but never shipped"
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:34 PM
United States, WI, Lone Rock
Joined May 2013
351 Posts
Yikes, sorry about that. I was searching for a P40 and came across that sight. It is so hard to find a good P40 these days.
Razer8811 is offline Find More Posts by Razer8811
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:00 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,812 Posts
No worries I appreciate the tip and like most RCers would have taken a chance but they were consistent , really consistent about being bad and they don't take calls lol !!!
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:22 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Fairly certain you don't want the mini size you linked. We need the regular size trunnions:
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...f093068278a660
Glad you caught that. Good to see someone is awake around here!

I corrected my post, thanks again.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:20 AM
indywestrc.org
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Dec 2004
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
Glad you caught that. Good to see someone is awake around here!

I corrected my post, thanks again.
My pleasure. I've 'cheated' my plastic trunions back to life with a nail:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...n#post25193572

I did similar to above but used the full trim nail head after squaring it off. Applied a little heat with a soldering iron to melt it into the trunion and level off the nail head to the normal trunion level.
Suds is online now Find More Posts by Suds
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:13 AM
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
I've read this thread in it's entirety. Gotta say there has been some great info. I bought the kit new off a guy on craigslist about a month ago. Put my own electronics in it and it was off to the races. Had horrible dive issues like OOS did right away. That was before I got to read that part of the thread though. I solved it with a stronger servo and stiffer rod. The stock rod flexed HORRIBLY. I'm currently flying with an Eflite Power 32, Castle Talon 90, and 4s 3300, pulling along with a 12x10. Could be a little faster, but I would say it's pretty scale. Also, to add to the CG craziness here, mine is set just behind the second panel line. Not sure of the mm.
Daniel B is offline Find More Posts by Daniel B
Old Jul 01, 2014, 12:13 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,171 Posts
Shaken the dust off of this thread. Here are a couple of FMS 1400mm P-40s doing some formation flying.
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2014, 12:58 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karltrek View Post
Shaken the dust off of this thread. Here are a couple of FMS 1400mm P-40s doing some formation flying.
now i definitely need a hat cam
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Jul 01, 2014, 04:58 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
799 Posts
I just finished installing the metal trunnions in retracts. I used the gear legs that came with the trunnions and used the struts from the FMS F4U. A lot of work just to get them to retract properly without binding. Next up before I try flying it again will be to install a stiffer elevator control rod. Wish I had just purchased the F4U, seems a lot better plane for the money.
bps is offline Find More Posts by bps
Old Jul 02, 2014, 04:04 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2008
686 Posts
Just finished all the painting. Just need to apply my Callie Graphics then seal it all in with a good dose of WBPU....

I just haven't had the drive or time to get it done sooner. Between this and my glassed F-86 Sabre it's certainly been a slow boat to China. Ever felt things are taking forever? Seems like I sit down to paint and only get a few coats in before i have other things to attend to.

The wait will be worth it for me.
Sed8ed is offline Find More Posts by Sed8ed
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:37 AM
United States, AL, Enterprise
Joined Dec 2013
9 Posts
Ok guys... Here's one for you. Added 1-1/2 oz. weight to nose (Zippy 4s 2800 pushed all the way forward) to balance at 75mm CG. On take off, slowly increased throttle to the point of tail lift. Further increased throttle, and it nosed over, turned right, and hit (went over) the curb. Took out right landing gear completely and jammed the left halfway retracted. Before setting CG, I took it out in the back yard to check the stock wheels in grass. When it would hang, an increase in power would cause a nose over then as well, holding full up elevator (without the weight added). Everything is stock except for 3" wheels and 17g rudder servo. My question is: Why would it nose over with increased power? Too much Down Thrust?
Stwilli is offline Find More Posts by Stwilli
Last edited by Stwilli; Jul 14, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:50 AM
Turn up the G's !!!!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jul 2010
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stwilli View Post
Ok guys... Here's one for you. Added 1-1/2 oz. weight to nose (Zippy 4s 2800 pushed all the way forward) to balance at 75mm CG. On take off, slowly increased throttle to the point of tail lift. Further increased throttle, and it nosed over, turned right, and hit (went over) the curb. Took out right landing gear completely and jammed the left halfway retracted. Before setting CG, I took it out in the back yard to check the stock wheels in grass. When it would hang, an increase in power would cause a nose over then as well, holding full up elevator (without the weight added). Everything is stock except for 3" wheels and 17g rudder servo. My question is: Why would it nose over with increased power? Too much Down Thrust?
Nose over is a common issue with the p40...my topflite p40 does the same thing. My fms p40 does it often if I don't have a smooth runway. Some have added a little bit of a forward rake to the gear by shimming the rear of gear
dskalski is online now Find More Posts by dskalski
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:04 AM
Joined Dec 2013
9 Posts
Thanks dskalski. I may have to try that.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 04:06 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,256 Posts
I shimmed the rear of my retracts to give a forward rake. I don't have a problem with nose overs anymore. I also put a zip tie on the gear with the locking block making contact with the plastic part that closes the doors so that they shut tight.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:14 AM
Joined Dec 2013
9 Posts
Good idea, krazyman. I saw where a couple folks mentioned 100 degree retracts on this thread. Has anyone actually installed a set on their P-40? And if so, what did you use, and how did they fit?