HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:29 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Why do you want to use a helicopter? It's been proven that a multirotor has greater carrying capacity and is more stable as an AP platform.
I agree with you, but some feel that if you are doing video in flight, the heli is better in banked turns. The Multi drops one side and raises the other. No, I don't get it, but . . .

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:02 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
The right setup and pilot skills will get you banked turns ;-)

FPV - urban nights (4 min 6 sec)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:39 AM
Romania
Joined Jan 2009
234 Posts
Quote:
Why do you want to use a helicopter?
I answer, because I already have 7 heli, and I do not like multirotors.
takeoff2 is online now Find More Posts by takeoff2
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:55 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,377 Posts
Quote:
Why do you want to use a helicopter? It's been proven that a multirotor has greater carrying capacity and is more stable as an AP platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-QJ_y9-cGg

I do have a multichopper but I have found that a large 700-size helicopter is much more stable in the wind. After you have flown both you will see what I am talking about. I have also tried airplanes, which are nice for long flights. Of airplanes, multichoppers and helicopters multichoppers are my least favorite.

I do have lots of experimenting with all aspects of the hobby!

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I do some AP so I want something that will navigate me to a location (GPS coordinates) and hold position for some photographs. Will Naza, Align and Skookum all perform those tasks?

I have a simple autopilot that will do that (AMP2) but it won’t fly a FBL helicopter.

None of the vendors you listed will do that unless you go with the ultra expensive DJI systems with waypoint capability. You are talking $10,000 for a waypoint system that will take the craft autonomously to set locations and hold it there.

The SK will have hold position, return to home and hard deck functions, the new Naza has three modes.....manual flight, attitude hold using accelerometers and barometer, and GPS atti which brings the GPS coordinates to lock the heli into place or allows the heli to be flown at a fixed attitude, altitude and speed. The next firmware will add semi auto takeoff and landing.

The DJI H version has functions right now very similar to what the SK is claiming, but the DJI version is called the Ace One with return to home and its priced at $3,200. The SK will be a deal at its estimated price point if it really does what it claims compared to similar products now.

What you are describing in sending the heli to a position would require programable waypoint capability, and that going to cost you big time at this point, and DJI has it available called single waypoint, or just waypoint for the really big bucks. http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...MWP&pageid=809
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Nov 19, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,377 Posts
It looks like I will not be in the market for a Skookum GPS if it won’t even do way-point navigation. My APM2 in an airplane does perfect way-point navigation and has camera control. I think I will design and build a larger airplane over the winter especially designed for AP work. My current airplane easily does 30 minutes which is plenty.

I would think that way-point nav would be easy for Skookum especially since APM has a very mice system for only $200.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
It looks like I will not be in the market for a Skookum GPS if it won’t even do way-point navigation. My APM2 in an airplane does perfect way-point navigation and has camera control. I think I will design and build a larger airplane over the winter especially designed for AP work. My current airplane easily does 30 minutes which is plenty.

I would think that way-point nav would be easy for Skookum especially since APM has a very mice system for only $200.
i would send an email to Skookum just to verify, but I don't recall seeing any information regarding any waypoint capability with the SK unit and nothing like that is listed on their website.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:59 PM
Aviation Technician
Joined Feb 2012
315 Posts
That was awsome silver, i learned something and had fun learning it to ! lol
GetToDaChopper is offline Find More Posts by GetToDaChopper
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
i would send an email to Skookum just to verify, but I don't recall seeing any information regarding any waypoint capability with the SK unit and nothing like that is listed on their website.
There have been rumours that waypoints will be added, but nothing specific. Considering how long we have waited for GPS. Who knows.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
There have been rumours that waypoints will be added, but nothing specific. Considering how long we have waited for GPS. Who knows.
I would think that AP customers would account for many sales so it would definitely pay for them to include that capability. That has become very popular in the last two years.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Good to know, thanks. I'm going to go ahead and pick up one of the Naza units and put it on my 500EFL Pro just to experiment with it. Atlanta Hobby has a package deal including the FBL unit, GPS and logging BEC unit, all for $450.

I figure I will see how well it works and then maybe use the unit in scale build down the road, or use the setup in my Goblin if it does what I need it to.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:34 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,176 Posts
I saw that same unit today. Impressive to say the least if it works as advertised and can fly with that seat of the pants on rails feeling the Sk gives us. The market is getting far more competitive. Which is a good thing.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:29 AM
Romania
Joined Jan 2009
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Good to know, thanks. I'm going to go ahead and pick up one of the Naza units and put it on my 500EFL Pro just to experiment with it. Atlanta Hobby has a package deal including the FBL unit, GPS and logging BEC unit, all for $450.

I figure I will see how well it works and then maybe use the unit in scale build down the road, or use the setup in my Goblin if it does what I need it to.
But in this package is not clear if GPS is included.
takeoff2 is online now Find More Posts by takeoff2
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeoff2 View Post
But in this package is not clear if GPS is included.
I don't think you have seen the latest ad. It's very clear......it's a bundle of the FBL unit, GPS, BEC and LED status indicator. I'm an "Electron Club" member with Atlanta Hobby so I get little additional discount on top of the bundle price.

http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...idcategory=942
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:35 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,985 Posts
That is a remarkable value. I have the NAZA unit on my multi-copter, and it was very simple to set up and it works very well. I have to wonder how well the NAZA FBL part works . . . If you are only doing AP, the necessary FBL hardware/firmware for stickbanging may not be as important.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816