View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:15 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Well it looks like the Chinese have finally caught on and are making a mass produced IOM
http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-boats/hu...boat-hull.html
I have also seen these on ebay.
It looks to have now where for the mast to go and doesn't come with fin, bulb and rudder.
I cannot find these on the website.
Looking closely at the photos it looks to have CF in the hull which we all know is againest the rules but this may be the same photo used on the CF version, which they also state to being an IOM.

Who here is going to be the test dummy and buy on to see how they go.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:58 AM
Canada, BC, Maple Ridge
Joined Jul 2011
464 Posts
From the specs it has a beam of 218mm - which is much wider than the current top boats - The picture of the red boat look like an FG layup. Blue hull looks like CF and so not IOM legal.

John

Material Epoxy Fiberglass
Length (mm) 985
Width (mm) 218
Height (mm) 145
Net Weight (kg) 0.598
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Last edited by hiljoball; Feb 25, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:45 AM
Australia, VIC, Paynesville
Joined Sep 2009
149 Posts
On ebay Aust they have a red and blue in Epoxy and a blue CF one at a higher price that they claim to be legal as an IOM - someone hasn't read the rules! There are IOMs being sailed in China, you'd think they'd ask those sailors what the market wants!

Strange that they aren't selling rudders or keels to suit yet keel box is already in place with no access to update it to fit other keels. How could you fit a keel into one of these without cutting the deck off and who knows what you'd find as structure under that forward deck.

Not like the Chinese to copy an old design, surprising it is not "Cheinz" copy (they'd probably like the name!) :-) It is actually good that they haven't stolen a good boat design as the damage could be terrible for the real designer/builder. They will need watching...
coolmobility is offline Find More Posts by coolmobility
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:26 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmobility View Post
On ebay Aust they have a red and blue in Epoxy and a blue CF one at a higher price that they claim to be legal as an IOM - someone hasn't read the rules! There are IOMs being sailed in China, you'd think they'd ask those sailors what the market wants!

Strange that they aren't selling rudders or keels to suit yet keel box is already in place with no access to update it to fit other keels. How could you fit a keel into one of these without cutting the deck off and who knows what you'd find as structure under that forward deck.

Not like the Chinese to copy an old design, surprising it is not "Cheinz" copy (they'd probably like the name!) :-) It is actually good that they haven't stolen a good boat design as the damage could be terrible for the real designer/builder. They will need watching...
the design looks very similar to the maximus design which has been around for a few years now, still like to know where the mast goes and where to get a fin from.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:29 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
From the specs it has a beam of 218mm - which is much wider than the current top boats - The picture of the red boat look like an FG layup. Blue hull looks like CF and so not IOM legal.

John

Material Epoxy Fiberglass
Length (mm) 985
Width (mm) 218
Height (mm) 145
Net Weight (kg) 0.598
Hey John,
at that price it wont be a world beater but hey it could be a great starter boat for someone and get them into the sport/hobby

Mike
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:52 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
Well it looks like the Chinese have finally caught on and are making a mass produced IOM
http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-boats/hu...boat-hull.html
I have also seen these on ebay.
It looks to have now where for the mast to go and doesn't come with fin, bulb and rudder.
I cannot find these on the website.
Looking closely at the photos it looks to have CF in the hull which we all know is againest the rules but this may be the same photo used on the CF version, which they also state to being an IOM.

Who here is going to be the test dummy and buy on to see how they go.
It shure looks like TS2 equip could made to fit,deck stepped mast.The fin is paralell so could prob be shaped to fit the trunk.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
I stumbled across these IOM hulls the other day as well. First thing I noticed was the carbon hull being listed as IOM legal which I thought wasn't the case.

I notice that they have some 'E' class (??) 30" hulls as well. for them they list 2 different keels, and various rudders as available as well as mast, booms and sails

Could it be that with just a little more thought on their part (ie. hull keel and ballast) and mast ready they could have a 'decent' starter boat for those who want to enter the IOM club
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:37 AM
United Kingdom, North Shields
Joined Feb 2012
22 Posts
Winch Layout

I'm at the point of deciding how to layout the sheets and lines to the winch, and wondered what the advantage of a winch system with a line on and a line off (i.e. a loop) and just having one winch line with elastic to take up the slack. The only winch systems I've used to date uses single line + elastic. I get the impression that most of the experts use 2 lines looped.

Thanks
SimonRobinson is offline Find More Posts by SimonRobinson
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:52 AM
Joined Feb 2012
22 Posts
Epoxy Resin problems

I have for over 30 years had problems using epoxy resin, so tend to avoid it but I did decide to use it to build my IOM. Normally I get dermatitis - skin lessions on my hands and wrists, but care with nitrile disposable gloves on top, with cotton liners + lots of hand cream inside has reduced that pleasingly. This time my face is reacting to the resin.

I started using SP 106, but have changed to Sicomin SR 8200 as it is reputed to be better on the body (it does seem less agressive, will report back on that when I've finished all the epoxy work).

But has anyone discovered any barrier creams that actually work?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:50 PM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRobinson View Post
I'm at the point of deciding how to layout the sheets and lines to the winch, and wondered what the advantage of a winch system with a line on and a line off (i.e. a loop) and just having one winch line with elastic to take up the slack. The only winch systems I've used to date uses single line + elastic. I get the impression that most of the experts use 2 lines looped.

Thanks
Probably the only advantage for the two line, continuous loop system is reliability. Dacron, Dyneema or similar will last a lot longer in salt and sunlight than a length of thin bungee which could stretch or snap at any time!
Well, that's my guess!
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PSS Hurricane 66" MK1
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:22 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
538 Posts
I used the elastic stuff on the slack side and it always seemed to break,rots very quickly in the sun. Now I use a line on both sides and a spring on the slack side to keep tension. The spring is about an inch long and 1/8 diameter. Works great.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRobinson View Post
I have for over 30 years had problems using epoxy resin, so tend to avoid it but I did decide to use it to build my IOM. Normally I get dermatitis - skin lessions on my hands and wrists, but care with nitrile disposable gloves on top, with cotton liners + lots of hand cream inside has reduced that pleasingly. This time my face is reacting to the resin.

I started using SP 106, but have changed to Sicomin SR 8200 as it is reputed to be better on the body (it does seem less agressive, will report back on that when I've finished all the epoxy work).

But has anyone discovered any barrier creams that actually work?
Sounds like you are allergic to epoxy. I have read that this happens. It will get worse each time you are exposed until you can no longer even be around cured epoxy. From what I have read, the only solution is to no longer use it.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
I stumbled across these IOM hulls the other day as well. First thing I noticed was the carbon hull being listed as IOM legal which I thought wasn't the case.

I notice that they have some 'E' class (??) 30" hulls as well. for them they list 2 different keels, and various rudders as available as well as mast, booms and sails

Could it be that with just a little more thought on their part (ie. hull keel and ballast) and mast ready they could have a 'decent' starter boat for those who want to enter the IOM club
China does sail the E class, which I believe was the forerunner of the iom class. The rules have changed over time, so the E class is more open than the iom, same sail plan, but carbon rigs, deeper keels and such.
I have an iom that might be the one being discussed that was made in china. It was ~ $350 when I bought it. Mine is blue and is a round section hull with a deck stepped mast. They were sailed in shanghai and hangzhou. There was a thread a few years back showing these boats.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
22 Posts
Winches systems and Epoxy

Yup, I am alergic to Epoxy, or at least very "sensitive". I got over enthusiastic about making my own boat, in fact I'm trying to make two. Cured epoxy is OK after about a month whatever, it becomes completely inert. I have found that if I leave it long enough between working I can nearly handle it. The trouble is having the patience to leave it long enough to recover. I had just hoped someone out there had some new cure, or at least a barrier cream!

Judging by the replies, its a 2 line systems for the winch.

Thanks guys.

PS I'll post a few photos of my (slow) progess soon
Last edited by SimonRobinson; Feb 25, 2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:37 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, The Mumbles
Joined Dec 2010
537 Posts
Hi Simon
I purchase a lot of my laminating materials from CFS, so hearing of your allergy I thought I'd have a quick look at their website; http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/
They sell barrier cream which I would have thought would offer protection from Poly or epoxy resins.
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PSS Hurricane 66" MK1