HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2008, 10:24 AM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
New Product
Hangar 9 Twin Otter

Hangar 9 is releasing this fine airplane after all! It is now up on horrizhobby and here is the link:

Horizon Hobby Twin Otter Page

Twin Otter ARF
Key Features
Painted fiberglass Engine Nacelles, Cowlings, Nose and Main Gear Fairings
Fixed Landing Gear with functional Oleo Nose Strut
EVO 36/Power 25 ready
Clark Y Airfoil
Easy-going sport plane flying manners
Exceptional scale outline
Plug-in wings with slotted flaps installed
Balsa/light plywood airframe
All hardware included
Overview
Hangar 9’s Twin Otter is a scale model of the UV-18 'Twin Otter' is the military version of the DeHavilland DHC-6. The trim scheme is based on the three UV-18B planes used by the US Air Force Academy cadet parachuting program which carry a pilot, copilot and up to 17 jumpers, and are the only three owned by the Air Force. Although this is a multi-engine model, the high wing design and clark Y airfoil improve low speed handling and provide stable flight characteristics which make this a great first-time twin for intermediate to advanced pilots. The Twin Otter ARF also features an electric power option which adds to the reliability. It also features fiberglass cowlings and fairings which make it very durable and easy to repair. The aircraft also includes fixed gear and large landing flaps to provide easy and fun landings without the addition of complicated landing gear necessary.

Needed to Complete
Glow Power
• 6+ channel radio system with 10 servos
• 2 engines
• 2 propellers

Electric Power
• 6+ channel radio system with 8 servos
• 2 electric motors
• 2 speed controls
• 2 battery packs
• 2 propellers

Video
2008 SEFF VIDEO

Hangar-9 Twin Otter Preview
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
Last edited by countrygentleman; Mar 11, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2008, 10:41 AM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman
E-Flite has made a prototype Twin Otter in their latest Platinum Series. The plane was seen flying at SEFF. I believe right now the people at E-Flite are measuring the demand for the plane. Sign here, send an email, or call Horizon if you want this plane to make its way to the market.

Picture
Thanks for opening up this thread, Chris. Not too many scale civilian twins out there right now in the electric ARF realm, so if this beauty is right-sized, I would buy it. Any idea on some of the specs, even though currently subject to change as the good idea matures?
rjmanzuk is offline Find More Posts by rjmanzuk
Old May 04, 2008, 11:16 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,602 Posts
Looks good. Maybe a float option? (or am I thinking of another plane?) I dont know alot about the twin otter.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old May 04, 2008, 11:18 AM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
I think the short nose version looks more DeHavilland like. Here is a pic of the real thing and a thread of a scratch built RC version:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852593

The thread starter uses differential thrust in lieu a water rudder.

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old May 04, 2008, 05:14 PM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
I fully agree with this as a have to aircraft for E-Flite to build for us!!

As a note Viking is manufacturing new Twin Otters going forward as the -400 model.

http://www.vikingair.com/content.aspx?id=276

ff
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Old May 04, 2008, 06:30 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
twin otter

My vote goes for the Twin Otter as well.
Ok You guys at Horizon, are you watching this thread?
How about an ARC version as well. Some of us may want to dress her up in some other colors.
This plane has a very high "cool factor" as much if not more than the 'Deuces wild".
Add a pair of floats from Sea Commander and yer all set for some fun scale flying.
cheers and a tip of the float!
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old May 04, 2008, 08:12 PM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
Power pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Float Flyer
I fully agree with this as a have to aircraft for E-Flite to build for us!!
As a note Viking is manufacturing new Twin Otters going forward as the -400 model.
http://www.vikingair.com/content.aspx?id=276
ff
Whoa! With those dim3ensions, can you imagine the size of motor, ESC and battery pack we will need? Maybe John should scale that back a little?
Where's Steve Neu when we need him?
Old May 04, 2008, 11:20 PM
President @ Hemet Model Master
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Oct 2006
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman
E-Flite has made a prototype Twin Otter in their latest Platinum Series. The plane was seen flying at SEFF. I believe right now the people at E-Flite are measuring the demand for the plane. Sign here, send an email, or call Horizon if you want this plane to make its way to the market.

Picture

Sign me up. I'll take one to go with my Vmar one.
huggie9999 is offline Find More Posts by huggie9999
Old May 04, 2008, 11:39 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Count me in!

Hi John,

I come back from a week end of float flying My E-flite Beaver, to find this?....

It would be great if you guys offered the Twin Otter. Perhaps 1/10 scale. or 1/12 scale sound good. It should be a comliment to the Beaver, and be able to show right beside it. I'm all for it, and would definitly purchase one. I was gonna buy another beaver. Keep one dedicated to float flying. And one on tundra tires. Maybe now I'll leave the floats on the Otter. Yeah.
Well John, don't just sit there. Finish up the Beta testing, and get that baby to Production. Oh, and get a good start on that Owners Manual also.
My Beaver flys great off the water, and I love it.

Happy designing, and flying, Gary
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Old May 05, 2008, 12:07 AM
Squawking 1200
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Feb 2006
50 Posts
Sign me up! Ive been looking for a nice twin for a while, this would be perfect, depending on its size though, hope its not too big!
SROlmeda is offline Find More Posts by SROlmeda
Old May 05, 2008, 01:51 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,754 Posts
I hope they make floats for it.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old May 05, 2008, 03:57 AM
CP140 NAVCOM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2001
655 Posts
I'll vote for for the twotter too.. just one thing.. if you do it.. make a good setup for changing between wheels and floats, or.. get really tricky and do Amphibs! As for colour schemes... one all white, all yellow, and all red. Reason for this is to be able to do different trim options for various carriers/users of the Twotter. Include whatever decals you like.. but just leave them a basic colour to start, so we can customize them a bit easier!

Torn between doing a Harbour Air or Ken Borek livery... hmmm
knight of Ni is offline Find More Posts by knight of Ni
Old May 05, 2008, 10:13 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,088 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=45 They even got my colors right.

I like it a lot. I'll cost me a pretty penny to get batteries for it.. but I do like it.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old May 05, 2008, 11:23 AM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
I just mentioned this in the Beaver thread... and saw there was a twin otter thread... I love Candian Planes! KMP is coming out with an EP twin otter shortly... I beleive they had it scheduled for sometime this month

http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?...ef6a6545ac3cef8
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old May 05, 2008, 12:35 PM
aka MadMan
San Diego, CA (USA)
Joined Aug 2006
633 Posts
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_suruncle
I just mentioned this in the Beaver thread... and saw there was a twin otter thread... I love Candian Planes! KMP is coming out with an EP twin otter shortly... I beleive they had it scheduled for sometime this month
http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?...ef6a6545ac3cef8
That looks just good enough that it might discourage E-Flite from taking it on as a competitor. I wonder, now. John Redmon? You out there? What do you think? Still game o go into mass production with your SEFF prototype?