HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
Question
UMX T-28 Capabilities Question

Hi All,

New to RC flying but I love it! Started with Champ, then got the T-28 ultra micro which I have been having a ton of fun with. Currently using the standard transmitter but have a DX6i coming from the wife for Xmas.

I had a question on what the capabilities of this plane are? I can do standard rolls no problem. I've gotten to the point where I can fly inverted though even with full "up" elevator it tends to drift downwards. I try to do different tricks but think it may not have enough power to do much else and was hoping for verification of whether this is true or if I need to keep practicing! Please note my T-28 has taken some damage though seems to fly great though. I did have to use some glue but only a small amount.

The other thing I've noticed is when flying straight at 1/2 throttle it flys level, but at full throttle it pulls up A LOT. I have to trim set to its max but I feel like i always have to yank down to keep it level at full throttle. Is this standard?

Thanks a ton!

Jon
JonDStewart is offline Find More Posts by JonDStewart
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,014 Posts
Yep, nature of the plane is it wil fly straight and level at half throttle and climb at full. That is normal for this plane. If it climbs at too steep an angle and stalls, then you need to trim the elevator, but it should climb at a nice rate at full throttle. Remember, you control altitude with the throttle and airspeed with the elevator. It will do mild aerobatics, but remember, this is a UMX plane and not really suited to flying outside in windy conditions. If you want to do more extreme flying, I suggest you get the larger Parkzone T-28 Trojan. Excellent plane and can fly as slow or as fast as you want it to.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
Thanks Chuck that helps a lot. Is there a rule of thumb for the difference in space needed for a larger plane than a smaller one? I live in San Diego so our parks are a bit busy and small. For a larger plane do you find you need a much larger field?

Thanks!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:39 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,097 Posts
4~500 feet should be sufficient for a larger plane. if you've flown a while, even less is fine.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, IN, Elberfeld
Joined Feb 2011
121 Posts
The umx sbach is an awesome little plan, but it may big to big of a step up from the t-28. If you are looking for more aerobatics, less expense, and small space flying look into profile plans. Or, build one yourself. Its a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot. You can find some cheap airframes here in the classified section...
kzart is offline Find More Posts by kzart
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Remember, you control altitude with the throttle and airspeed with the elevator.
Hi Again,

You mentioned that I control altitude with Throttle -- which I get -- more throttle = more altitude.

But I'm not sure I understand the airspeed with elevator. I probably use the elevator more for altitude. When you say control airspeed with it is this simply because you go up and down to slow it down? Or is there something I'm missing?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:59 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
641 Posts
The pzumt28 is a nice flying um, but like all the brushed motor um planes, it is not gifted with an overabundance of power. Also, those motors wear out. A new motor may be what you need.

The full sized pz t28 will be easier to fly and will be capable of more aerobatics, but will need more space. It is wildly popular for a reason.

If you can manage a very simple build, the stevens aeromodel adrenalin rush with one of the 12-30 inrunner power systems and a 2s lipo can be flown inside a football field and will perform terrific aet aerobatics. Ignore the speed freaks who will lead you astray. On 2s, the adrenaline rush is a sweet parkflyer, light, responsive and slows way down.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,014 Posts
Let's say that at half throttle, you are flying straight and level at a constant speed, then you giv "up" elevator, immediately the plane will begin to slow down as the force of gravity and other factors plys its power on the plane, the reverse will happen when you give "down" elevator, the plane will gain airspeed. A simple explanation but that's how it works.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,444 Posts
If you are trimmed to fly level at 1/2 throttle the plane will be flying at a certain speed. If you reduce the throttle and don't move the elevator the plane will descend at the same airspeed. If you increase throttle without moving the elevator the plane will climb at the same airspeed.

Now if you want to fly slower than 1/2 throttle and maintain level flight you will reduce the throttle then add up elevator. Now at this new elevator trim it will climb or descend at a slower airspeed when you change the throttle setting. Throttle is still controlling up and down and the elevator has slowed the speed.

Of course it is really a balancing act between power and pitch (elevator) but even with full scale airplanes it is taught that power controls altitude and pitch controls airspeed.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob