SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:28 AM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
Prop and prop shaft with gear. That's all I've ever broken.
That's what I was thinking about, thanks for the confirmation.
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:48 AM
Joined Feb 2007
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostcity View Post
The micro J3 Cub motor will be a good replacement motor. Also a couple of spare props. Otherwise it is pretty durable
I read about the J3 motor but isn't that one a LOT heavier compared to the stock motor? (As in tenths of grams).
Looked around but I couldn't find the weights of the stock and J3 motors to compare.

BTW I'm going to fly it in a very confined space (10' by 13') , so I'm guessing I'll need it to be as light as possible.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:56 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,936 Posts
I haven't flown mine in a while... But I also haven't flown anything in a while! Damn weather!! I think I might break out my MV tonight and do some living room circuits!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Dec 11, 2014, 01:15 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy View Post
Question though: which parts are most susceptible for breaking that I should order?
The only part I've broken on ultramicro ultralights was the LG landing in grass. Yeah it's CF but super-thin.

On grass don't try to roll it but land vertically from 6" or so at stall speed by gradually increasing elevator till it slows drops.

On pavement don't elevator it but let it roll. Again, the LG is fragile and even at 1/3oz pavement is hard.

ANY prop/shaft can break if you faceplant it regardless of model. Interestingly I've bounced off trees, cut the throttle as I did it so there was no power behind the hit, and it drops a foot or two and points in a different direction, then the dihedral forces it to regain level and it keeps flying.

Quote:
60mAh cells, but what else?
Lighter is always better. True it is much less stressful flight so longer flights are easier but I prefer crisper handling over longer flights. Get the 60 but try the 30 too and see the difference.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Dec 12, 2014, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2007
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
The only part I've broken on ultramicro ultralights was the LG landing in grass. Yeah it's CF but super-thin.

On grass don't try to roll it but land vertically from 6" or so at stall speed by gradually increasing elevator till it slows drops.

On pavement don't elevator it but let it roll. Again, the LG is fragile and even at 1/3oz pavement is hard.

ANY prop/shaft can break if you faceplant it regardless of model. Interestingly I've bounced off trees, cut the throttle as I did it so there was no power behind the hit, and it drops a foot or two and points in a different direction, then the dihedral forces it to regain level and it keeps flying.

Lighter is always better. True it is much less stressful flight so longer flights are easier but I prefer crisper handling over longer flights. Get the 60 but try the 30 too and see the difference.
Never thought of landing this thing but your explanation to "parachute" the landing makes sense, thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 03:25 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,352 Posts
The only think I have broken is the whole plane... If you plan on leaving the plane on the coffee table unattended, and happen to have a new puppy, I recommend keeping a spare BNF around so you can keep flying afterward....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Dec 12, 2014, 05:02 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy View Post
Never thought of landing this thing but your explanation to "parachute" the landing makes sense, thanks!
I forgot one analogy. The LG in the grass is a scale issue. MV and others of the -ultralight- ilk are very fragile, though sturdy enough if handled with care. Landing in 'normal' grass varies for different size model planes. Landing in grass might be thought of as a full scale plane landing in a full grown corn or sugar cane field. It's gonna suffer some cosmetic damage, maybe some LG damage. Land an ultralight in a cornfield at speed and it's gonna be VERY not fun. Covering torn, bent frame parts, cables ripped out, and if very unprotected the pilot gets beat up too. An MV should handle putting green grass easily, but the fairway not so much. Here in FL we have 'alleged' grass that tears the *SNOT* out of small and even medium size models. The stalks are so solid (not necessarily thick just woody) that planes are known to land 'on top' of the grass and not fall to the ground.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Dec 13, 2014, 03:29 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
MV discontinued what will replace it?
All the individual radio/drive-motor components are still available at Horizon. Do you think its only a matter of time, before they all run out?
Trisquire is online now Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Dec 23, 2014, 06:37 AM
United States, MO, Dexter
Joined Dec 2013
16 Posts
Thanks to whoever posted the link to alternative batteries for the Mini Vapor. I've never had any luck with the stock batteries. Even brand new they only gave a few minutes flight time. Now they don't hold a charge at all. I've had the most success flying with the larger batteries out of my Night Vapor. It messes with the CG a little bit, but at least it works.

I can't wait to see how the new ones work out. It would be nice to have an airplane that actually works as a living room flyer. The Night Vapor works great at the gym but is just little too big to pull it off at home.
Bootheel Hawkeye is offline Find More Posts by Bootheel Hawkeye
Old Dec 23, 2014, 08:09 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,352 Posts
You are talking about the 60mah ones from hobbyking right? I got three with my last order, they work great.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Dec 24, 2014, 08:26 AM
Still Flying
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Mar 2013
163 Posts
Living Room Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootheel Hawkeye View Post

I can't wait to see how the new ones work out. It would be nice to have an airplane that actually works as a living room flyer. The Night Vapor works great at the gym but is just little too big to pull it off at home.
I have been flying my MV in my living room for the last two winters. It does not get any use in the summer. I got it out this year and the motor was shot so I upgraded to a J3 Cub motor I had. With the new motor my old 30 mah batts would not last at all. I now am using the 60 mah batts from HK (Nano Tech) and I am flying 4 minute flights with no issues. The new motor,battery combo makes the plane much more powerful. But it is heavier. I have always positioned the battery as far back as possible so I had to make an extension to the battery holder to position the new batteries below the rear of the electronics.

I fly the plane high alpha to slow it down. It is a blast and a challenge to maneuver around my living room and out to the kitchen and back. A real diversion for Wisconsin winters.
OldRCNut is offline Find More Posts by OldRCNut
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
The only think I have broken is the whole plane... If you plan on leaving the plane on the coffee table unattended, and happen to have a new puppy, I recommend keeping a spare BNF around so you can keep flying afterward....
That is why dogs stay outside and away from my planes. Ouch!!!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden