HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How do I fix my landing gear?
Some kind of glue? 2 11.11%
Tape? 1 5.56%
Replace the entire landing gear? 6 33.33%
Something else? 1 5.56%
Use the Force? 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:02 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,269 Posts
Discussion
I bought my first heli tonight and it was good for a few minutes...

Then I noticed the landing gear broke on one side already and that when I fly it forward and backward won't work. I was flying it indoors and the crashes I experienced were barely crashes, so I am surprised there are any problems. I can't find anything visibly wrong with the things that make it move forward and backward and I am hoping I can replace the landing gear with a new pair of skids.

The heli is an MCX2. If any of you have experience with this heli and can offer any advice, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks!
GB
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:13 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,269 Posts
I feel a little foolish now. I figured out why I wasn't moving forward and backward anymore. THE second battery I used was too long and that was what was causing the issue. The guy at the hobby store said it would work so I trusted him.....lol

So now onto the landing gear issue. Do any of you have experience replacing landing gear on this heli?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:32 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,220 Posts
Try the coaxial threads here http://www.rcgroups.com/coaxial-helicopters-200/ I have 2 mcx's and never broken the skids. not sure about the mcx2 but mine on the mcx just push in to the mainframe with two pegs I've had them off a couple of times
skyeblu is offline Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:38 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,269 Posts
Thank you!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 07:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
use glue, I use quick set epoxy on the kids micros

Only one thing tho.... if you glue one skid, glue the other in the same place to keep the balance
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:24 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I feel a little foolish now. I figured out why I wasn't moving forward and backward anymore. THE second battery I used was too long and that was what was causing the issue. The guy at the hobby store said it would work so I trusted him.....lol

So now onto the landing gear issue. Do any of you have experience replacing landing gear on this heli?
It is easy - you will see that it just pulls off and pushes back in. It is best to replace it but epoxy will sometimes hold it together depending on what you broke. Helicopters land softly though - the skids are the last thing you should be breaking
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
the skids are the last thing you should be breaking
very strange!.... They were the first thing to break on both my boys micros
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:53 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Yeah they are fragile - when you get the new set, boil them in water for about 10 minutes, then let them cool - make sure they stay the same shape. This will make them a little more bouncy. Still - helicopters are supposed to land softly, so I'm always amused when people break the skids
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
the boys are 10 years old.... Nuff said lol
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,352 Posts
if this is your first heli, I would glue it for now till you get the beginner crashes out of your system, then replace...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:51 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,269 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions! The boiling idea is a pretty good one. I ended up buying two new skids and some super glue. I have some epoxy coming with an order for a jet and another heli similar to this one, so I didn't want to double up on the cost.

Anyhow, I put on the new one and glued the stock one for when I break the new one. I also got a glow in the dark skid and some carbon fiber rod. My plan is to build a cushion with styrofoam balls on each end. I still need to pick up the balls.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:39 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,352 Posts
keep in mind the glow in the dark stuff is WAY more fragile than the black plastic stuff, so you REALLY want to get all the crashes out of your system before putting them on...

RE: boiling... this is an old RC car trick from when many MFG's made control arms out of nylon, boiling make the nylon more pliable and so less likley to break.... Unfortunately, it does absolutely nothing for the plastic these helis are made of, other than giveyou a chance of warping the part if you get it too hot... Not recomended.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:48 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Um, I don't think super glue will work at all on these parts. Epoxy will.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:41 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,269 Posts
I like how using the Force won the poll lol
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2011
9 Posts
A trick I used was heat shrink tubing. Cut a piece large enough to cover each part of the broken piece by at least a half inch (so minimum 1" if possible), then get the parts as close as possible before shrinking the tubing up. Radio Shack sells some bulk packs with various sizes that will fit just about any heli's gear. The shiny stuff is a bit more rigid once shrunk than the matte black (made of different material) heat shrink. Either one though will provide a nice repair adding very little weight and will allow for just enough flex to prevent breaking it in the same place again which I've seen happen.
jdsheli is offline Find More Posts by jdsheli