New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2014, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by Bobimp
Joined Sep 2006
87 Posts
Discussion
Kk falcon

Hello,
regular viewers will perhaps recall that I was recently seeking a scan or plan of this model, which I have now obtained through the Forum, and commenced building. I have long been aware of this model from my early modelling days, but the size and the cost put it well outside my range in those days! Older members will no doubt recall that the Falcon was kitted by KielKraft, late 40`s/early 50` s maybe. I had always assumed that the design was connected in some way to KK but on studying the plan it is marked that the draughtsman was Albert Hatful with no claim that he had actually designed it. It has some (to me) rather odd constructional methods, for instance there are no full depth fuselage formers under the wing mount and it makes great use of built up wing and tail spars, which I had not previously used. Makes it interesting! It seems that it was fairly common practice in those early days that companies would kit someone`s design without permission, the KK Scorpion being an example of this! I vaguely remember there being some fuss when KK kitted this Scorpion, which had been designed I believe by an American pilot flying for the RAF! and although some of the structure was changed, the wing for example, it was a straight copy of the original!
All that was a rather long winded way of getting to what I really wanted to ask! Does anyone know who was the original designer of the Falcon. Must have been impressive flying free flight with a big sparkie up front! Unfortunately mine will be electric powered, this form of propulsion being more suited to my advancing years! If there`s any interest I will post pics. of the build as it progresses.
Thank you,
Bob Imp.
Bobimp is offline Find More Posts by Bobimp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2014, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by owlsabie
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
3,094 Posts
Hi Bob, we'd love to see some pictures

Al
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Nov 06, 2014, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
902 Posts
The original design was called "Cloud Cruiser", and it was designed in 1937 by Ben Shereshaw. KK made at least two modifications, namely adding the sub-fin at the rear and an enlargement of the vertical fin. There were other changes made to the design by Ben Buckle at a later date to allow for RC equipment.

Here's a link to the Outerzone page for the original plan: LINKY
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Nov 06, 2014, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by John38
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
The original design was called "Cloud Cruiser", and it was designed in 1937 by Ben Shereshaw. KK made at least two modifications, namely adding the sub-fin at the rear and an enlargement of the vertical fin. There were other changes made to the design by Ben Buckle at a later date to allow for RC equipment.

Here's a link to the Outerzone page for the original plan: LINKY
Not to be confused with the "Cloud Cruiser" by Harry Moyer and also designed in 1937 and is quite a different model. Harry's is the Cloud Cruiser which is featured in my current build log

john
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Old Nov 07, 2014, 04:13 AM
Joined Sep 2006
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John38 View Post
Not to be confused with the "Cloud Cruiser" by Harry Moyer and also designed in 1937 and is quite a different model. Harry's is the Cloud Cruiser which is featured in my current build log

john
Thank you to both who responded. I was confused about the origin of the Falcon as although it was said that it developed from the Cloud Cruiser I had seen that this aircraft had a parasol wing and was completely different to the Falcon. Now I have seen the Sherenshaw design that you mentioned it becomes apparent that this Cloud Cruiser is very similar to the Falcon. Thank you for clearing this up, it`s nice to know who designed the models you build. Build is now under way, started with the fuselage sides and tail group. Pics. when remember!
Bob Imp.
Old Nov 07, 2014, 04:33 AM
RFJ
Find More Posts by RFJ
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,816 Posts
Bob - for comparison. My Cloud Cruiser and Ian Easton's Falcon.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Nov 07, 2014, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by Neil Ives
United Kingdom, England, Royal Leamington Spa
Joined Sep 2013
20 Posts
A friend gave me a part made Ben Buckle Falcon to finish off. I have an OS FS-60, (http://goo.gl/LrQjKV) for the plane. I'm going to be following your progress; I need all the help I can get!
Neil Ives is offline Find More Posts by Neil Ives
Old Nov 08, 2014, 06:16 AM
Joined Sep 2006
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Ives View Post
A friend gave me a part made Ben Buckle Falcon to finish off. I have an OS FS-60, (http://goo.gl/LrQjKV) for the plane. I'm going to be following your progress; I need all the help I can get!
Hello,
I don`t know that my build log will be of much use to you as I tend to use my own building methods and not follow the plan other than for the general outlines. I know this is somewhat frowned on by others, but "my model, my rules!" Also yours is IC powered and mine will be electric needing a different front bulkhead arrangement. I have posted some pics. from the start, I keep expecting some Brazillian gangsters approaching me wanting their rain forest back! Tail surfaces mostly built, just standard, apart from the built up spars that I`ve not used before, seems stronger than I would have thought. I am not mounting the servos in the rear as is usually done with these large models but in the normal position. I intend using closed loop on the rudder, with the control wires passing under the horizontal tail so as to be less viewable! Pics. show the system. Probably push rod to an idler arm and than to the elevators as I`ve done several times before. Very little of the control mechanism shows using this way. All for this time, more pics. if an interest!
Bob Imp.
Old Nov 08, 2014, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by owlsabie
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
3,094 Posts
That's looking great
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Nov 08, 2014, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobimp View Post
"...mine will be electric..."
Then your build log will be of great value, Bob! That's what we need to see -- how you accommodate the newer powerplant into a 77-year-old design. Electric seems to be gaining ground with OT models, so your conversion process is of great interest!
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Nov 08, 2014, 09:52 AM
Joined Sep 2006
87 Posts
[QUOTE=Bobimp;29890390]Hello,
I don`t know that my build log will be of much use to you as I tend to use my own building methods and not follow the plan other than for the general outlines. I know this is somewhat frowned on by others, but "my model, my rules!" Also yours is IC powered and mine will be electric needing a different front bulkhead arrangement. I have posted some pics. from the start, I keep expecting some Brazillian gangsters approaching me wanting their rain forest back! Tail surfaces mostly built, just standard, apart from the built up spars that I`ve not used before, seems stronger than I would have thought. I am not mounting the servos in the rear as is usually done with these large models but in the normal position. I intend using closed loop on the rudder, with the control wires passing under the horizontal tail so as to be less viewable! Pics. show the system. Probably push rod to an idler arm and than to the elevators as I`ve done several times before. Very little of the control mechanism shows using this way. All for this time, more pics. if an interest.

These were the pics. I meant to post of the start! I normally strip the spars etc. from sheet with my old homemade balsa stripper. It`s much cheaper!
Bob Imp.
Old Nov 09, 2014, 05:15 AM
Find More Posts by Neil Ives
United Kingdom, England, Royal Leamington Spa
Joined Sep 2013
20 Posts
I see some people have added ailerons to this plane. Are you planning to do the same?
Neil Ives is offline Find More Posts by Neil Ives
Old Nov 09, 2014, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Ives View Post
I see some people have added ailerons to this plane. Are you planning to do the same?
Arrrrgggghhhh!!!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Nov 09, 2014, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer View Post
arrrrgggghhhh!!!
+1.