SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 743 86.10%
were just asking for too much 120 13.90%
Voters: 863. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by Dinghy
Cap'n
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Dec 2013
245 Posts
Hi Lee,
I know the first version of the UMX Corsair had a bad reputation for being impossibly tail heavy.

The current version, seems to have this mostly solved, making it a sweet flyer.
Some on the V2 UMX Corsair thread are finding that they need slightly heavier 250mah lipos at the very back of the battery trayfor proper CG. Oone even needed to carve the tray back to get a good balance.

My V2 Corsair, arrived with 1 degree of UP thrust and zero right thrust. It was also a tad tail heavy. 2grams nose weight and fixed thrust angle after crashing it trying to get it trimmed (unsuccessfully). Now it flys great, indoor and out. Was flying it back to back with my UM T-28 yesterday, indoor, one basketball court with generous margins. Used 4 batts (mini A's, tks for your recommendation) in each plane. The Corsair, with some expo and lowered rates was somewhat easier to fly than the t-28... One thing I have noticed, the t-28 stays in the last bank angle when sticks released. The UMX Corsair, gently returns to level flight, like a Champ does, when the sticks are released (centered). Not quite as quickly as the Champ. It does not seem to be the AS3X doing it, Also, Both t-28 and Corsair have enough dihedral to be turned rudder/elevator only. They do not turn quickly that way, but definately can be turned without using ailerons.

So, respectfully, my advice to Mark, was based on his success with the UM T-28, and my comparitive experince wth both t28 and Corsair (v2).

Lee, you have much more experience flying than I do, and have flown many more different models than I,
What other UM would you recommend as a next step after the UM T-28, instead of the UMX Corsair ?

Always love your posts.

PS, another improvement on the V2 Corsair, they redesighed the 3 blade prop to be more effecient/powerful.. If you can get the V2 props, they may be a very nice mod for the T-28 and Mustangs. Check the Corsair thread for part #
Dinghy is online now Find More Posts by Dinghy
Last edited by Dinghy; Apr 23, 2015 at 12:49 PM. Reason: PS
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:46 PM
Cap'n
Joined Dec 2013
245 Posts
Mark, I have played around a lot with the iron/steam method... I have tried thin wet paper towel and that works ok.... Bare iron, med to med high heat touching the bead of water works better.. Sizzle and does not melt the foam. May take the shine off the finish, but no melting..
However, the paint will melt/smear a bit, so be careful and maybe use paper towel in those areas. I also find that most creases need sizzle, repeat sizzle a few time to really get the best result.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by Shoetec
United States, NH, Hooksett
Joined Jul 2014
60 Posts
+1 for Dinghy's ironing method. I mostly use it over a wet paper towel...on my UM T-28. Yes, my nose looks pretty ugly too. So does the plane's.
Shoetec is offline Find More Posts by Shoetec
Old Apr 23, 2015, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,672 Posts
Dang Dinghy, ya got me there. I have not flown the new F4U. Heck I suspected, but did not know, that they went AS3X with it. And just heard of the new three bladed prop.
I will now confess...knowing this...I am again tempted to get a new one. Heck, I should...it is my favorite looking plane of all times. hahahahaha
I have owned two Micro corsairs and one rather large one. All three sucked.. hahaha.
I could fix the large one now. Given what I have in stock to add to it. Just havn't done it yet.
I will retract my statement now on bad mouthing the F4U. I am still ignorant on the newest version. But that might just change soon now. Thanks to you. Thanks.

Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 23, 2015, 09:15 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,672 Posts
Ohh, and it used to be easy to advise someone of a progression of flight. Not anymore...heck I am ignorant. With all the new tech and new planes...your guess is as good as mine. I don't even know that I would suggest a Champ for a first plane now. Considering they have the SCS and the UMXraidian. And that is just naming two that are great. Now a day's...you really have to get to know someone. And what they wanna do. And what there experience is. To even start to suggest a plane. Isn't it great? What a time to be in the hobby. And MA's still rock. But, like the planes...not always. Depends on the model in question now. Lovin it.
Lee
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by jbarchuk
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinghy View Post
One thing I have noticed, the t-28 stays in the last bank angle when sticks released. The UMX Corsair, gently returns to level flight, like a Champ does, when the sticks are released (centered). Not quite as quickly as the Champ. It does not seem to be the AS3X doing it,
AS3X has nothing to do with self level. AS3X 'dampens/corrects for unwanted input' such as air turbulence, and that's it.

The 'very high' wing of the Champ makes the dihedral self-level much more effective.

The 'stay on the bank' effect of the T-28 really is the goal.

I've never even seen a UMX Corsair fly or know anyone who has one so don't know how it behaves. The polyhedral is more complicated. There're a couple of guys at the field with larger (and MUCH) larger Corsairs so I'll ask them.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by jbarchuk
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
I don't even know that I would suggest a Champ for a first plane now. Considering they have the SCS and the UMXraidian.
Apprentice if you can't avoid flying in the wind.

Quote:
And what they wanna do.
Exactly. With -proficiency- in T-28 then the next step for...

...pattern/'larger' aerobatics: Yak, Sbach or Extra.

...tighter aerobatics/3d/crowd pleasers: Pitts or Beast.

Just a personal preference and what I've heard recommended by the pros,the best for those two classes are Extra and Beast.

For any of those cut the recommended low rates in half for first flights to get oriented, then turn them up when you're more comfortable. All of them can do lighting fast rolls and super tight loops at highest rates.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:09 PM
Find More Posts by kitetricks
Flying Object Crash Tester
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jun 2013
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
AS3X has nothing to do with self level. AS3X 'dampens/corrects for unwanted input' such as air turbulence, and that's it.

The 'very high' wing of the Champ makes the dihedral self-level much more effective.

The 'stay on the bank' effect of the T-28 really is the goal.

I've never even seen a UMX Corsair fly or know anyone who has one so don't know how it behaves. The polyhedral is more complicated. There're a couple of guys at the field with larger (and MUCH) larger Corsairs so I'll ask them.
I must have one of the better old UM Corsairs. Battery needs to be forward but it flies well. It does roll upright on it's own more than the T-28, is smaller making it look quicker. The Corsair aileron rolls more off center than the T-28, and I think it needs rudder input more.

Oh, did I mention, nothing looks more cool on a fly-by in the parking lot at work!
kitetricks is online now Find More Posts by kitetricks
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:37 AM
Cap'n
Joined Dec 2013
245 Posts
Thanks Lee,
To finish the HY-jack....one other feature on the current UMX AS3X F4U Corair...the ailerons are set up for proper differential.
IE, down ailron travel is only 1/2 of the up travel.... Less adverse yaw and less likely to tip stall in sloooow turns.

JB, I have not flown any of the 'next step after the UM T-28' you recommended.
I would say that the UMX Corsair can be more acrobatic and precise than the T-28. but only a small step in difficulty difference.

Kite T. Yes the Corsair has few peers for cool-ness on a fly-by, or steep banked turn.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 04:19 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,672 Posts
The spacewalker looks purty kewl when it flies by really slow and low.
But, by far...the best "looker" I have for that is the UMX Pitts. Dang thang looks real flying by. I can almost see the pilot waving to me as he passes. haha

Lee
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:39 AM
Cap'n
Joined Dec 2013
245 Posts
YEP, love my Spacewalker (indoors) and the UMX Pitts is on my 'someday' list.