HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:27 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,452 Posts
Discussion
Freewing Spacewalker

I bought a Freewing Spacewalker 44" foamie from www.valuehobby.com a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to maidening it. I wasn't sure what to expect since this is my first vintage type plane. All I can say is it is a great and easy flying plane. The best part is, it was only $99.00 receiver ready!!! It's a great looking looking too. I'd like to hear from anyone that has one of these. It's really a sleeper plane.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:25 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,911 Posts
Freewing seems to have some nice planes, I had bought the stinger last year from Motion. My first purchase out of the Parkzone realm. Valuehobby looks promising for future purchases.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:36 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,452 Posts
Flew the SpaceWalker again this morning, but this time I used a GForce 2200 30c battery in it. What a difference from the 1800 mah recommended battery. Now she flies straight and level at just over half throttle and has plenty of flight time. I'm really liking this plane.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:59 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,010 Posts
I thought the removeable cockpit foam piece prevented a 1800 mah or larger battery from fitting in there ?
Or have you removed some foam ?
Thanks
wattman is online now Find More Posts by wattman
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,452 Posts
Yes I did remove some foam. It's almost like they intend for you to do that. The foam piece I cut from the hatch came out perfectly square. Every 2200 battery I have now fits perfectly. It helps if you use a new #11 hobby knife blade. I am really beginning to think that this would make an ideal 2nd plane for someone looking to get into a low wing plane after coming off a high wing trainer.
Last edited by chucksolo69; Feb 20, 2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:05 AM
Joined Jun 2004
1,010 Posts
Thanks , I have not flown mine yet , bad winter for flying .

I have several planes that I fly , but I always have a HBZ Super Cub in my van , always . And I was wanting
a different plane to live in my van , and be ready / handy to fly anytime . So I am hoping the
SpaceWalker will be a good replacement . Because its at a good price from MotionRC.com
Last edited by wattman; Feb 21, 2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 06:02 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,010 Posts
Finally the weather was decent and I have flown the SpaceWalker several times now , and it flys and lands really well ! I used Electrifly 1600 mah lipos , so I will have to try larger capacity batterys . The 1600 mah is set for 8 min of flying on my timer , with 20% capacity remaining .
Its a really good value for the money , the SpaceWalker looks and flys great .
FreeWing made a good one with this plane .

Last edited by wattman; Mar 02, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 11:04 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,452 Posts
Wattman, try an 1800 mah battery in her. She will fly great and CG is spot on. I use either my Flyzone 1800 with a Deans adapter or my GForce 1800s in her. All work great. I think this plane is one of the best kept secrets in RC airplanes.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 06:53 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,010 Posts
Been flying the Spacewalker , and also tried the PKZ 1800mah, seemed to fly better . But , I was having to much fun and over did my time .......and was aborting a landing , and pulling back up for a go around when the low voltage cutout engaged
and I almost had it turned about for a emergency landing , but , wheelpants caught the hill , and it stopped there , took out the landing gear and mount , and thats not the first foam plane that I have torn out the landing gear
So its glued back in , and landing gear reattached , ready to fly some more .
Seems like a tuff plane for me to impact it in the dirt , and it only lost the landing gear .

Old Apr 03, 2014, 10:24 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,774 Posts
I just ordered one from MotionRC--can't wait!
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Apr 04, 2014, 03:45 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
I just ordered one from MotionRC--can't wait!
11.00 less at Value Hobby
99.00 plus 3.99 shipping
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Apr 04, 2014, 05:25 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,010 Posts
Good price , but I could not find any parts they carry for the Spacewalker , like MotionRC does , MotionRC does carry parts for what they sell .
I know from this from experience ! Like today , I received a spare landing gear for my Spacewalker

But thanks for the headsup for another Freewing dealer in this part of the country