HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:09 AM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, Newton
Joined Dec 2010
481 Posts
Discussion
Edge; Maiden

Edge is my fourth IOM design and build project which I will use to compete at my local Club and a couple of district events through out the year. She is made from a Balsa core and laminated with 200g & 80g/m2 weight FG. Prior to glassing the decks a walnut veneer was applied.
Edge's maiden was quite a short affair but none the less she floats, beats and runs. The corrector weight of approximately 165g or 5.8oz will be positioned just behind the keel box as the bow was just touching the water as the transom was just above. So all in all her longitudinal balance is just about as expected. Her beam is 180m, transom 95mm and the C/L of the mast is 500mm from the transom. C/L of mast to L/E fin 15mm. Whilst beating her helm was very neutral which is fine as a bit of rig tuning can feed in a touch of weather helm. Edge's general speed and tacking appeared fast enough but extremely difficult to judge without any comparisons.
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Add an X to VTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:35 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,722 Posts
That is very nice work FWal, photo 3 says a lot about how that boat will perform there is simply no disturbance evident at the back end which means it will be fast as it is set up there.

Would you be happy to share a profile shot and aft view when running?

I think you have done a super job on that and ought to be sending the details into Traplet. A few words and photos and I am fairly sure they will be delighted to feature a new designer with talent.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old Jan 25, 2014, 06:00 PM
Flying without a licence
United Kingdom, Wales, Newton
Joined Dec 2010
481 Posts
Thanks Robert for your kind words. I guess it's too early to tell if this design has legs and we shall have to wait until I've posted some results. In the meantime here's how the Edge reacted to my 10 year old on the sticks

Edge Maiden (1 min 21 sec)
FWAL is offline Find More Posts by FWAL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Add an X to VTX
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:04 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,722 Posts
Thank you for posting that FWal, is its predecessor still sailable? Sail them together in the same condition and see if you have made the new one better than the old.

The boat looks good upwind, good downwind but its narrow chest on the reach is evident (the back end lifts rather than the bow rising when a gust hits. As it won't be reaching much in races that doesn't matter.

It is nice you have got a good helm to help with the evaluation, hopefully he isn't the only youngster in the Swansea club.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May