HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,222 Posts
Help!
Choosing Radio

Hi Guys,
As you know, i only fly parkfliers (yes, all of them old timers) and i want to change my old radios, since fm receivers are more expensive, and hard to find matching crystals, im looking for good 2.4 rc system

i have 3 options:
orange ORX with a lot of channels (i use only 3...) just learning 10 memories.
Turnigy 6xs with memory for 6 planes... 6 channels
or a simple 4channel turnigy....

Thanks for the help!!
colibriguitars is online now Find More Posts by colibriguitars
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:00 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,840 Posts
I have an Orange ORX and it works well for me.
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Last edited by California Condor; Feb 03, 2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:26 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,283 Posts
Although most of my models are paired with either of my Futaba FF8 Tx's one on 35 MHz and the other with a DMS 2.4 GHz module, I do have three models using my Turnigy 9X Tx and the matching receivers with complete satisfaction. The receivers are a little bigger than the Orange 6 channel ones I use with the 2.4 Futaba, but not much and are very light.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:07 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,222 Posts
So any are good choice?
ORX is out of stock and the receivers are a little more cheap.
The Tournigy 6XS is in stock, a little cheaper, but the receivers cost 3 dollars more.. and are heavier.
and, well the four channel will cost less than shipping, so maybe is not a good idea to ask for them....
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:48 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibriguitars View Post
So any are good choice?
ORX is out of stock and the receivers are a little more cheap.
The Tournigy 6XS is in stock, a little cheaper, but the receivers cost 3 dollars more.. and are heavier.
and, well the four channel will cost less than shipping, so maybe is not a good idea to ask for them....
Rodrigo

I don't know the Turnigy 6XS, mine is the 9X.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:39 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,368 Posts
Look at a Spektrum DX6i ,new or used. Has most features you may ever use. If you get more serious in future you can buy a transmitter with more programming options. The DX6i is very popular is compatible with a number of tiny to fullsize receivers and some orange clones. Spektrum support is quick and good.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:05 PM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
312 Posts
I have a Spektrum DX8 and a Spektrum DX7, and a Futaba FF8 with an Orange "Spektrum" module. All of these transmitters work with an assortment of genuine Spektrum receivers, with Orange receivers, and with my latest find, the Lemon featherlite receivers. All of my "Spektrum" gear just works without a problem.
Knowing what I now know, if I was to start again, I would buy a Turnigy 9X transmitter from Hobby King without a module, and fit it with an Orange "Spektrum" module also from Hobby King. For Park Fly use I would not hesitate to buy Orange receivers, particularly the tiny 4 channel one without a case, and for ultra light 6 channel I would use the Lemon featherlite receiver at just $6 each. If the transmitter ran out of memories I would just buy a second one.
[I have also flown, and still own, Futaba with FrSky module and receivers, and although apparently technically superior, I prefer the wide range of receiver options available with the "Spektrum" setup. But it is good reliable equipment, as is "Spektrum"].
As they say on forums, just my 2 cents worth. But it is based on a lot of Spektrum flying.
krafty is offline Find More Posts by krafty
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:29 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
570 Posts
I have a Futaba 7UAF that I'm planning to order a FrSky module for. Tx and Rx package with no telemetry is less than $40 (USD).

Turnigy has a new Tx, the 9XR, that looks interesting. It's shown as "backorder" at Hobby King, though...
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,222 Posts
Thanks Guys for the support!!
i have ordered and Orange TX with 4 Orange transmitters as they were on stock and needed some other stuff from hobby king. now is time to wait like a week or two....