HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:48 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,805 Posts
Its not that I hate Spektrum, I just dont trust it and have seen and experienced first hand too many failures. My last loss of signal was the last straw because I was preparing to start flying larger planes with larger, more dangerous propellors; my 70" Extra, 1/4 Cub and 1/5 P-47 are all swinging 20+ inch propellors and I was not comfortable loosing control with one of those. Not to mention each one of those had significant funds invested.

I do appreciate your backing up your comments, but since the only issue brought up was backwards compatibility (now solved), I cannot see any reason why I would not move forward with my purchase. Had there been other issues with customer relations I would reconsider... but I am not going to try to listen to all those podcasts from the last two years (no patience for that) Not to mention I have found their support top notch. When I was on the learning curve, and there is a learning curve coming from Spektrum/JR, their pilots spent hours with me over the phone and at events programming my planes and teaching me the ropes.

I do admit, I was upset that my 9c (not for sale) and my 10c (for sale) were not compatible with FHSS, but by no means did I felt like I was being screwed. It might have been inconsiderate, but they did that because only the higher end rx's supported the higher resolution. I felt it just came with the territory of wanting the best performance out of a top of the line radio.

MLT~ That is probably the only real truth in this whole thread
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,252 Posts
i suggest at least check out the most recent rc today show podcast, lots of info on the 14sg straight from hobbico in there
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:20 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,445 Posts
After losing over 2k in airframes, I sent my new 9503 in to HH. They confirmed there was an issue with the firmware on my radio. They fixed the radio, Sent me a $1300 plane as a consolation. I sold both , bought am 8fghs with 5 Orange RX's and have had zero issues since. I loved my dx7 and only started having issues after I upgraded to the 9503. I may look at JR's new line later for hunter. But for now we have both an 8fgh and a spektrum dx7.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:11 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,196 Posts
I also want to add that just because I trust Futaba more than JR or Spec and that I choose to spend my money on Futaba - does not mean I hate JR or Spec or any other brand. Nor do I hate anyone that flys with JR or spec.

I prefer Snickers over Reece's peanut butter cups but by no means do I hate Reece's Maybe we can start the Atlanta area candy bar talk thread.

MLT
MLT67 is online now Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:42 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
I prefer Snickers over Reece's peanut butter cups but by no means do I hate Reece's Maybe we can start the Atlanta area candy bar talk thread.

MLT
HERSHEY's SPECIAL DARK OR GO HOME!
C_Watkins is online now Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
DX6I problem

Wasn't sure where to post this question but maybe someone here can help me, I have a DX6I and the throttle control is erratic first I thought is was a servo but then I powered up another plane and I have the same problem so it's in the radio, does anyone have any idea what I could do to fix it? all the other controls work just fine it's just the throttle stick.
Mgblunt is offline Find More Posts by Mgblunt
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,252 Posts
send it to horizon, i have seen that happen with a friends Trex450 and it almost took my face off and dented his car.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:49 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,805 Posts
Do not try to fix it, just take a week off and send your radio tx, rx (and esc if it is a HH product) in to HH for a free service. If there is anything that does not check out, they will replace with functional equipment.

Your problem may not be in your tx, it could be in your ESC which is responsible for distributing power to your motor. But it is tough to tell with the given info, more troubleshooting is necessary to isolate the issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:54 PM
Meramec Mike
Joined Dec 2011
57 Posts
I don't have an ESC in this plane it's a gasser I don't think this radio is under warranty anymore so I'm not sure if the price would be worth fixing it .
Mgblunt is offline Find More Posts by Mgblunt
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:18 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgblunt View Post
I don't have an ESC in this plane it's a gasser I don't think this radio is under warranty anymore so I'm not sure if the price would be worth fixing it .
Send it in. It's the best thing about Horizon. They will likely fix it for free.

If not, please tell us where and when you will be flying so we'll be sure to not be there. :O
rpstar is online now Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:23 PM
DLGFPVBAJAOCD
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
3,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgblunt View Post
You can always jump to futaba
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:27 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
You can always jump to futaba
Well, given it's a DX6i I'd recommend switching radios if this plane is anything bigger than about 60". Dx6i is a beginners radio and I can't recommend it for gas planes for sure.
rpstar is online now Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
ohh your talking about the fhss, fasst and now the fasstest protocol receivers, They introduced the fhss stuff as a cheap alternative to the fasst stuff on their lower end transmitters and some of the 8fg and higher end TX owners were upset because their stuff was only compatible with the more expensive fasst receivers. The new 14sg is compatible with all three protocols so they fixed that issue
I was fairly frustrated this time last year. I really wanted a 8FG, but couldn't see buying one when I wasn't really sure if Futaba planned to make anymore FASST radios at all. Their only releases that year were the 18MZ and the 8J. So, $3,000 or switch to S-FHSS???! I almost switched to Spektrum myself! (Not to mention Hobbico was releasing their Any-Link...)

But, now there is the 14SG, which is for me, exactly what I wanted. Something that works with all their standards - including the telemetry one, has enough channels for a large warbird, and doesn't break the bank. The fact that it's considerably cheaper than the Spektrum 18 is icing on the cake!
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:21 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,805 Posts
That 18mz is something I will never have, but it is a damn workhorse. I set up several of my planes on it and it only takes about 1-2 minutes per plane. I have never used anything so smart and intuitive, we flew through the setups. Then we pulled out my 10c, it took exponentially longer to set up the same planes.

as you said, 14sg does everything I need and IMO sets the standard for new Futaba radios that are not uber expensive.
RCG Plus Member