HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:25 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
Starting the beefing work, gotta put a bit more strength in some spots.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Last edited by dkrhardy; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:46 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
483 Posts
Temptation is Always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
Guess what my favorite UPS driver dropped off today?? Now if only my son didn't have Cub Scouts tonight and tomorrow night...

PS- Congrats on the maiden RCAV8TOR!! Can't wait for mine, might just have to pull an all nighter!
...getting the best of me, too...

chuckman,
Priorities must be given to the family first but then once the family's taken care it's all about me time! The assembly should be no big deal just be aware of the noted issues...

Today I went ahead & changed out the push rods & keepers on the tail feathers for some heavier gauge Dubro ones. I knew before the maiden that these were questionable as there is way too much slop in the stock linkages. The elevator was especially bad, deflecting over 1/16" up or down between the servo arm & control arm. Definitely not acceptable since this could cause control surface flutter & very imprecise flying... I think this could've accounted for some erratic behavior when I flew her inverted yesterday...

Have fun with the assembly & keep us posted with your progress because the Devil is calling.........
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Jan 22, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
Pushrods, eh? OK, that is the 1st I'd heard of them maybe flexing. I'll look into that also. The other day I bought a package of Dubro connectors and I do have piano wire here, so I'll look to see if my sizes and lengths can be used. Thanks for that.
Don
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:20 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
483 Posts
Spaghetti is for Dinner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Pushrods, eh? OK, that is the 1st I'd heard of them maybe flexing. I'll look into that also. The other day I bought a package of Dubro connectors and I do have piano wire here, so I'll look to see if my sizes and lengths can be used. Thanks for that.
Don
...not for RC aircraft...

dkrhardy,
I had problems with the Peaks push rods, & the Devil uses the same size wire, that really flexed when pushing the tail control surfaces, especially on full up elevator... On the Peaks, these rods looked like wet noodles bowing & curving once it neared the end of the travel but well before reaching the end of deflection... Remedied that on the Peaks by keeping the same push rods but sleeving them with carbon fiber tubes. I simply cut the CF tubes to length, slipped them over the rods & I was done. Quick, easy, lightweight & most of all, very effective...

Having said that, I really didn't notice the rods flexing on the Devil like they did on the Peaks. This time, at least on this Devil anyway, it's the (too small) push rod wire diameters & clevis pin sizes where they connect to the servo arms & control horns that's causing all the slop... I can deal with a little play but in stock form it was entirely too much...

I guess the control horns, servos & servo arms could all be replaced but I decided to go with a lower-level fix (for now). This seems to have worked really well, too since the all the play is gone from both of the tail surfaces...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:04 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
The is becoming popular at our field. Two more on order!
We have at least three peaks at the field too!
Great birds at a good price.
I'm gonna have to inquire about the unpainted Peaks. I'd buy one at a discounted price.
Good Day, Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
Walter - From what I saw on the unpainted Peaks, ther is NO discount. The price was quite a bit more than the painted one! Go figure.

RCAV8T0R - I looked at my rods and they seem quite stiff. Oh jeez, I just realized that I said I have stiff rods ...................
But I will pay attention when all is hooked up. I filled the gear cavity with epoxy, added epoxy to the wing mounting points ... all around those plastic inserts, epoxied a ply piece behind the foam that holds the firewall and mount, and worked on straightening the trailing edge of the elevator. I then noticed that both wings have a bit of droop out toward the tips and on the trailing edges. I may leave them alone for now. I did drill the gear legs and did a piano wire brace/strut between them. I did it at the mid-point so that the gear can still flex a bit but hopefully not get all rubbery. We'll see.
Tomorrow I'll drill the holes for the screws that will go through the mount and tie up the ply to it. Sure won't take a lot to finish it up.

I saw some posts about the battery area needing a floor made. Mine is dead flat and long. Does anyone have more info on that floor thing? I did trim the side pieces a bit to take 2450 4s batteries, and the cover fits fine. Just gotta figure out a good Velcro strap mounting. I have 2 2200 4s batteries on the way, so I'll probably CG it for both and just mark where each size needs to go.

I'm going to buy some Glo Coat floor wax to coat the plane with. Saves the paint and gives it some shine .... and it is cheap and easy to apply.

Don
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:43 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
483 Posts
Up is Down & Down is Backwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Walter - From what I saw on the unpainted Peaks, ther is NO discount. The price was quite a bit more than the painted one! Go figure.
...must be the laws of supply & demand, meaning the demand is low for the plain Peaks. Might as well get & repaint the painted one & save some jingle...

Quote:
RCAV8T0R - I looked at my rods and they seem quite stiff. Oh jeez, I just realized that I said I have stiff rods ...................
Hate when that happens...wait I DON'T hate when that happens, at least that's what she said...

Quote:
I filled the gear cavity with epoxy, added epoxy to the wing mounting points ... all around those plastic inserts, epoxied a ply piece behind the foam that holds the firewall and mount, and worked on straightening the trailing edge of the elevator. I then noticed that both wings have a bit of droop out toward the tips and on the trailing edges. I may leave them alone for now. I did drill the gear legs and did a piano wire brace/strut between them. I did it at the mid-point so that the gear can still flex a bit but hopefully not get all rubbery. We'll see.
Tomorrow I'll drill the holes for the screws that will go through the mount and tie up the ply to it. Sure won't take a lot to finish it up.
dkrhardy,
Really sounds like you're giving her a thorough reconditioning before she even needs it......... Best way to get familiar & be confident she'll do what you want her to do. If not, just beat that Devil into submission...

Quote:
I saw some posts about the battery area needing a floor made. Mine is dead flat and long. Does anyone have more info on that floor thing? I did trim the side pieces a bit to take 2450 4s batteries, and the cover fits fine. Just gotta figure out a good Velcro strap mounting. I have 2 2200 4s batteries on the way, so I'll probably CG it for both and just mark where each size needs to go.
Check out post #115 by pullup & #134 by yours truly. I think you'll understand after you fly her that she's a nose heavy bird & that the forward wing strut will cause problems for getting a more neutral CG with any size battery except say for a 4S 1800mAh pack... I haven't tried flying mine with a smaller pack but if you do go to a larger one, IMHO of course, I'm betting yours will be VERY nose-heavy you'll end up having to input lots of up trim and/or add tail weight to counter that right out...

I (temporarily) added 1/4 oz. to mine to see if I can get a tail heavy condition since I've moved my 2200mAh packs aft well past the strut & she still balances & acts like she's nose heavy... I'm going to test this out so I can get the elevator more in line with the horizontal stab so it doesn't end up in an exaggerated up condition the way it is now. It's not helping matters that it's so warped from the factory, either...

Quote:
I'm going to buy some Glo Coat floor wax to coat the plane with. Saves the paint and gives it some shine .... and it is cheap and easy to apply.

Don
Gonna have to look into that idea about waxing her up to give her a nice & shiny appearance so she'll want to perform even better for me...

Keep us posted...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
Check out post #115 by pullup & #134 by yours truly. I think you'll understand after you fly her that she's a nose heavy bird & that the forward wing strut will cause problems for getting a more neutral CG with any size battery except say for a 4S 1800mAh pack... I haven't tried flying mine with a smaller pack but if you do go to a larger one, IMHO of course, I'm betting yours will be VERY nose-heavy you'll end up having to input lots of up trim and/or add tail weight to counter that right out...

OH! Jeeeez, I never even gave it a thought that the area was toward the aft part! OK, makes a bit more sense now. The telling part will be when I try to CG it, eh? So far, with a few small things .... this plane looks like it'll be fun.
Don
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
Looked at the photos, and my battery area sure seems to be bigger, aft, than what you guys are talking about. I should be able to move back quite a bit with no issues. It may make the battery insertion easier too. It will be easier to battery-up with the wires forward. What I DO need is a strap-down method. I may cut a slit and glue the Velcro strip into the slot so I can strap the battery down.
I even glued all of the fiber board parts in the wing, the attachment points for the cabanes and the horns/attachment fixtures from aileron to aileron. This puppy will break foam before a "thingie" comes loose!

"Gonna have to look into that idea about waxing her up to give her a nice & shiny appearance so she'll want to perform even better for me..." I don't think it'll be any more slick, but it does look better. Plus, you can pick the plane up without getting paint specks on you fingers. Plain old, cheap, Glo Coat.
Don
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
Technical Specifications:

Wingspan: 1016mm (40in)

Overall Length: 1130mm (44.5in)

Wing Loading: 55g/d㎡

Flying Weight: 1450g (51.2oz)

Package Include:

Speed Controller: 50A Brushless

Motor : BM3720A-KV650 Brushless Outrunner

Servo: Two 9 gram, Two 17 gram servo

Battery: 14.8V 2200mah Li-Po 25C

Required to complete:

Charger:Li-Po battery charger capable of 14.8v charging

Radio:4 Channel

Package Include:

Required to complete:

Package Include:

Required to complete:

Dynam Devil ARF $126.99
eric080 is offline Find More Posts by eric080
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:35 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,929 Posts
Eric - thanks for taking the time to post that, but I do believe we all knew that.

I used some of the "glue" that came with the plane to firm up the wing and surface control mounting areas. I wish I had mixed up some more epoxy since that glue does not appear to be dry. After an overnight cure, it is still a bit tacky. ????

Today I will coat the plane in the floor wax and hopefully add piano stripes, white, to the bottom of the lower wing as well as the horizontal stabilizer. If I have yellow trim tape, I may use that. Wide, contrasting stripes help me orient the plane. I don't care for solid, dark color wing bottoms. Some do, but I am used to light and dark stripes on the bottom.

Don

edit: I forgot to mention that I balanced both props and they were not that bad, right out of he box. Both were a bit heavy on the side that has the metric size embossed on it. It took very little to get them spot on.
Last edited by dkrhardy; Jan 23, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:36 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
The is becoming popular at our field. Two more on order!
We have at least three peaks at the field too!
Great birds at a good price.
I'm gonna have to inquire about the unpainted Peaks. I'd buy one at a discounted price.
Good Day, Walter
I purchased the unpainted one when they first came out for $99 with all electronics, was a good deal and I did the red, white, blue sceme....but since then they have had it at $169.....even more than the painted one....go figure.
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:21 AM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
I purchased the unpainted one when they first came out for $99 with all electronics, was a good deal and I did the red, white, blue sceme....but since then they have had it at $169.....even more than the painted one....go figure.
That looks sharp! Nice paint job.

I was telling my flying buddies the same thing, the unpainted Peaks is 169!?!?

I'm a huge fan of doing my own paint jobs. I tend not to abuse them right away if I put time into making it look cool.
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:23 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
Nice Paint job!
I think they have to drop the price just to get rid or them.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:24 AM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Hey everyone! Well, the build was very easy and straightforward. As with everyone else, my horizontal stabilizer is really warped downward. Any recommendations for an easy fix for that? Got my batteries yesterday and she balanced almost perfect. Just a tad nose heavy but should be an easy fix shaving a little foam. I measured 4-3/8" from leading edge of top wing and next to the wing support, falls just behind the carbon rod, does that sound right to you guys/
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49