HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
Lost my HZ Super Cub, so what plane next?

Hi Guys

I had a HZ Super Cub as my 1st plane and enjoyed it. But recently crashed and it's gone, but not forgotten. So my question is what should my next logical type of plane be after a Super Cub? I want a warbird but wonder if I'm ready, so what about a Durafly T-28 Trojan? Has anyone tried it?
DeepBlueGray is offline Find More Posts by DeepBlueGray
Last edited by DeepBlueGray; Jul 11, 2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: clean up wording a little
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
How many "successful flights" did you have on your Super Cub? Only reason I ask is because it sounds like the last time out didn't end well. I looked at the the T-28 looks like a nice plane, but isn't as forgiving with crashes, as some other options. I would stray from it unless you felt you were ready.(Not trying to say your not just don't know your flight experience)
xsputnikx is offline Find More Posts by xsputnikx
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:09 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,177 Posts
If you have truly progressed beyond the Super Cub then a T-28 is a reasonable progression. However I would go with the ParkZone T-28. Yes it is more expensive than the Durafly but at least parts are readily available.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,452 Posts
Yep, go with the Parkzone T-28; parts are everywhere. 4 channel planes are a whole new ballgame compared to the Super Cub. I have both and the difference is like night and day. I have been flying my HZ Super Cub for a couple of months and can fly that and my HZ Champ very well. However, even though I maidened my PZ T-28 successfully the second flight didn't go so well. I ended up crashing and finding my plane 3/4 of a mile away. Although the 3 channel planes get you up to speed on many aspects of RC flying, just be aware that a 4 channel is a bit harder to fly than what you are used to with the Super Cub. BTW - I have never crashed my Super Cub or any of my three channel planes, so, the fact that you crashed yours leaves me thinking you aren't ready for 4 channel yet.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
I guess I would say I crashed my Super Cub 4 times. The first two were more rough landings where it bounced kinda heavy and went over on the nose and cracked the cowl. Once I was flying low in a large football field and hit the goal post at the far end of the field and came spinning to the ground. The last flight on which I lost it, I was flying in a smaller field and a big wind came up and just blew the plane away. Each time I turned into the wind to fly it back to the field, it was just blown right, left, up & down and farther away. I guess it just got out of radio range and fluttering to the ground in an area of dense trees and bush. 4 or 5 searches later and I still haven't found it. So I'm guessing it's a lost cause finding it and that the crew is now in the "Hanoi Hilton". Which brings me back to getting a replacement. I liked the Super Cub, but ailerons would have really helped in the wind. Since I a have a Spektrum DX6i a 4 channel BNF would be my next choice. (Or how about a 5 channel with flaps.) Or just get another Super Cub and cut in ailerons and flaps. Decisions, decisions...
DeepBlueGray is offline Find More Posts by DeepBlueGray
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:07 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,197 Posts
Before you go for that warbird, get another SC and fly more. Consider buying another plane not when you crash one to replace the one you crashed but rather when the SC becomes old hat and you can fly it without having to think about it.

Don't give up the search for the cub!

Then when you go to the field you have 2 planes you can fly.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:23 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlueGray View Post
The last flight on which I lost it, I was flying in a smaller field and a big wind came up and just blew the plane away. Each time I turned into the wind to fly it back to the field, it was just blown right, left, up & down and farther away....
I have been flying a friends Super Cub. He was having the same problems as yourself. However I have been flying in the wind with no problems so it is not the plane. I think you just need more experience. I agree with the dedStik about getting another SC and becoming proficient with it.

Going on to a plane with ailerons will not correct your inability to bring the plane back from downwind.

Get good with the SC and then move on the the T-28.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, IL, Des Plaines
Joined Apr 2012
26 Posts
You may want to look into a Fly Zone Sensei or E Flight Apprentice, Both are bigger and have more power than the SC, Both are Top Wing Trainers, Both have Ailerons.

By going this route you still have the stability of a Top Wing Trainer plus the ability to learn using Ailerons, Of course having a trainer with Buddy box would be of great help as would practice on a sim.
JohnMD is offline Find More Posts by JohnMD
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,452 Posts
Bottom line is, if you can't fly a Hobbyzone Super Cub, you are NOT ready for a 4 channel plane. The advice about a buddy box is sound though. I would definately recommend his finding an instructor.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:20 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,722 Posts
Quote:
Or just get another Super Cub and cut in ailerons and flaps.
cut ailerons, no need for flaps. do that on another hz sc and fly for a while and then you can jump to the t28.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,055 Posts
Get a Cub blank fuse > build it up from scratch. Good experience and you'll end up with a fine plane.
Based on your report a T-28 might not have a very long life.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys

I had a HZ Super Cub as my 1st plane and enjoyed it. But recently crashed and it's gone, but not forgotten. So my question is what should my next logical type of plane be after a Super Cub? I want a warbird but wonder if I'm ready, so what about a Durafly T-28 Trojan? Has anyone tried it?
seeing as how you crashed and destroyed the Cub beyond repair it's a no brainer. ANOTHER CUB... Keep doing it until you no longer crash and destroy the Cub then you can safely move on... A warbird is no plane for someone crashing/destroying a Cub...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,333 Posts
Quote:
II liked the Super Cub, but ailerons would have really helped in the wind. .
NO THEY DO NOT.....

NO THEY WILL NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you get your info ???????????????????????????????
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,452 Posts
Deep, step back a couple of steps and analyze the situation. I agree with rtbates. If you get a warbird, any warbird, you are just going to get frustrated worse than you are now. Ailerons have no bearing on wind. Wing loading does. For a newbie like yourself, wind just makes it more difficult to fly if you are not used to it. I have flown my Super Cub, Firebird Stratos and Champ in wind about 10 MPH and it ain't easy. Maybe you need to get a simulator and practice a while. Reset buttons are infinately more forgivng than dealing with real life crash situations. You need to trust us on this. I have been flying my Super Cub and simulator, like I said, for about 3 months now, and I am BARELY ready for 4 channel. I am going to fly my Trojan again this weekend. Am I apprehensive about it? You bet. Like Harry Callahan said, "A man's got to know his limitations." I do.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I am going to fly my Trojan again this weekend. Am I apprehensive about it? You bet.
good. so i'm not the only one freaked out by the t28
my fear manifests as a constant drymouth from the first takeoff to the last landing.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl