HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:16 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeeetm View Post
I am buying a bigger micro SD card today. Per the nr16manual.pdif, I'm planning on getting a class 4 micro SDHC 32GB locally at MicroCenter.

besides those general guidelines, any other guidance or pitfalls to avoid?

thanks.
It is my understanding that FirmWare v 0.49 has improved SD card handling code, and should remove the SC card problems, but your Idea of going for a class 4 card is still a good one, as the camera doesn't need a card that is faster than class 4.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Have anyone made a solar cell to USB charging solution for this camera? How big solar cells and what mAh charging circuit would be required to build such a system?
Maybe a time-lapse photoshoot of more hours would require such a continuous charging through USB port, when the camera is set for example in the nature or places where no other power souce can be found.
Maybe the atmosphere project would require such a solution. Not only for having the camera charged but some kind of heating could be solved for the camera int those minus Celsius degrees up there
nagyger is offline Find More Posts by nagyger
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyger View Post
Have anyone made a solar cell to USB charging solution for this camera? How big solar cells and what mAh charging circuit would be required to build such a system?
Maybe a time-lapse photoshoot of more hours would require such a continuous charging through USB port, when the camera is set for example in the nature or places where no other power souce can be found.
Maybe the atmosphere project would require such a solution. Not only for having the camera charged but some kind of heating could be solved for the camera int those minus Celsius degrees up there
A tiny bit out of the scope of an aerial photography thread don't you think............

VideoKing is online now Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Oct 2012
41 Posts
update to the time lapse battery capacity tests:

with the configuration and setup below, I got 9 hours and 38 minutes. I compiled a video with PhotoLapse...its uploading now @ 22% will post in a bit.(EDIT: the video was mostly night time, so nothing going on interesting except the timestamp moving. Decided not to waste everybody's time w it)

photo frame 1280x960, @60s time-lapse
camera fully charged
USB external battery using two lithium AAs (1.5V in series = 3V) through a home made boost converter putting out a regulated 5V. Note I used lithium batteries, no L-ion or Li-poly, just plain old super expensive and energy dense lithiums.

Also, I'd like to correct my previous post that there is no indicator blink on image captures after the first one: there is, it's just really hard to see because I think the red stays on as well.
ezeeetm is offline Find More Posts by ezeeetm
Last edited by ezeeetm; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
Sweden, Malmö
Joined Oct 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
update to the time lapse battery capacity tests:

with the configuration and setup below, I got 9 hours and 38 minutes. I compiled a video with PhotoLapse...its uploading now @ 22% will post in a bit.

photo frame 1280x960, @60s time-lapse
camera fully charged
USB external battery using two lithium AAs (1.5V in series = 3V) through a home made boost converter putting out a regulated 5V. Note I used lithium batteries, no L-ion or Li-poly, just plain old super expensive and energy dense lithiums.

Also, I'd like to correct my previous post that there is no indicator blink on image captures after the first one: there is, it's just really hard to see because I think the red stays on as well.
Nice, want to see this !
Hate it when youtube takes forever to upload and finish a clip...

Hope its up soon
Ulrik_A is offline Find More Posts by Ulrik_A
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:58 AM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
955 Posts
Like I said. I mean NO disrespect...fishycomics is a bit eccentric. I just felt this thread was starting to turn into an attack thread.. Enough said I completely understand everyone's views and I thank everyone who contributes to furthering my understanding of how this cam works.
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Oct 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyger View Post
solar charging would depend on a lot of environmental factors, but is very do-able with a small solar panel and a boost converter. although the current iteration does not include aux solar (my goal is to keep cost/complexity/weight to a minimum)...future versions will have several small solar cells on the outside.

regarding the heater, I'm using a nichrome mesh and a PID microcontroller to keep things at temp. The capsule is made of r13 foam and lined with reflective mylar. at 100K feet there is only 1% atmosphere, so it requires some radiative heating (no air for conductive/convective heating). Nichrome is the same stuff found in toasters and hair dryers, but in my design it will only put out a few watts...just enough to keep things at about 50-60F.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:03 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
USB external battery using two lithium AAs (1.5V in series = 3V) through a home made boost converter putting out a regulated 5V.
For reference, what was the mAh rating on the two AAs?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Oct 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash74 View Post
.fishycomics is a bit eccentric..
is he eccentric though? I get the sense that he's perfectly normal, just that English is not his primary language...no?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Oct 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
For reference, what was the mAh rating on the two AAs?
each is 1.5 Volts 2900 mAh (this can vary based on temp and constant current discharge rate in mA)

they are no joke, and they are rated down to -40C !

Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:25 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
I think if he'd just pipe his posts through google translate things would be way better for everyone (him included!). Like I said in my post, clearly he has a meaningful contribution to make, but the language barrier causes very real problems for Tom and Iso. It's fishy's responsibility to overcome that barrier, especially when google translate is a cut and paste affair. You are correct...nobody should be attacked. Expressing annoyance and frustration is != being attacked though...just my 2c, respect your opinion totally sir.
No translator could make sense of Fishy's posts!

Have you watched his videos? His English is fine, it's his typing that's atrocious (so bad that you even assumed that English isn't his primary language).

Fishy blaming his bad typing on having an iMac is an insult to Apple.

But the most serious issue is when he posts totally incorrect or totally unrelated information. That can only help to confuse people.
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
A tiny bit out of the scope of an aerial photography thread don't you think............

Sorry for being off topic. Where could this question be "in-topic"? I promise I will ask it there.
nagyger is offline Find More Posts by nagyger
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Oct 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
No translator could make sense of Fishy's posts!

Have you watched his videos? His English is fine, it's his typing that's atrocious (so bad that you even assumed that English isn't his primary language).

Fishy blaming his bad typing on having an iMac is an insult to Apple.

But the most serious issue is when he posts totally incorrect or totally unrelated information. That can only help to confuse people.
I'm starting to understand it all better...I'm new here so don't have the history. I understand now what iso means when he says "promised he wouldn't post text messages" ( I was like...um then what would he post?) I'm guessing now that you guys have asked him to post video questions using spoken word instead of typing. If this is the case then, yeah...fish why don't you do that (especially if you promised you would?)

Your posts are really really hard to decipher, fish.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
955 Posts
Keychain cam 808 go GWS flylite (6 min 1 sec)
eccentric!! I tried to reference some other videos..but they are almost all deleted!!
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Last edited by crash74; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,351 Posts
Quote:
I'm starting to understand it all better...I'm new here so don't have the history. I understand now what iso means when he says "promised he wouldn't post text messages" ( I was like...um then what would he post?) I'm guessing now that you guys have asked him to post video questions using spoken word instead of typing. If this is the case then, yeah...fish why don't you do that (especially if you promised you would?)

Your posts are really really hard to decipher, fish.
His lens-cap post #9802 together with his text took me by surprise. This his how all his posts should be and proves that if he makes a bit of effort he can write understandable English.

He sort-of spoiled my fist impression when he posted very similar pictures in three different posts. He could easily have avoided the unnecessary posts by combining the following posts into the first one. It would also have been easier to make comparisons. But I won't criticize this. He has made an effort, and that's what counts.

I hope he doesn't go back to his gibberish and I sincerely hope he doesn't try to dominate the thread again. Quite honestly, I was on the verge of ....

Fishy, try and limit your posts to one compact and understandable post per day and only post when you are sure you have your facts straight and together.

I'm sure on the behalf of most readers, thank you in advance. Let's keep this excellent thread fun and informative as it should be.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop