HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2014, 01:13 AM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
1,688 Posts
Sorry for the video quality. It was an older camera and my filmer zoomed in in the middle and didn't know. A turbine fired up behind me and was waiting to come out. Had a cross wind but was mainly nervous... ran off the runway on landing and almost ran into the turbine jet. lol

From the few passes I was able to edit out hopefully you can get an idea of performance. At least it picked up the nice sound this setup provides

ExceedRC F-18 - EDF Hobbies motor/fan combo (1 min 23 sec)

PS: that sport turbine had issues on landing actually. Had more of head wind on landing and his flaps are almost at 90*. He came in too slow, flared, stalled and bounced in. Bounced off the runway and ripped the NG out... . I did have to epoxy my retract a bit after my run through the grass.
tdford is online now Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 64mm F-22 Raptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2014, 09:40 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,688 Posts
Also got some flight video...

ExceedRC 70mm F-18 EDF flight video 1 (3 min 37 sec)

ExceedRC 70mm F-18 EDF flight video 2 (4 min 14 sec)

ExceedRC 70mm F-18 EDF fligh video 3 (3 min 32 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2014, 09:59 AM
Joined Nov 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Sorry for the video quality. It was an older camera and my filmer zoomed in in the middle and didn't know. A turbine fired up behind me and was waiting to come out. Had a cross wind but was mainly nervous... ran off the runway on landing and almost ran into the turbine jet. lol

From the few passes I was able to edit out hopefully you can get an idea of performance. At least it picked up the nice sound this setup provides

http://youtu.be/QUNBdysIh48

PS: that sport turbine had issues on landing actually. Had more of head wind on landing and his flaps are almost at 90*. He came in too slow, flared, stalled and bounced in. Bounced off the runway and ripped the NG out... . I did have to epoxy my retract a bit after my run through the grass.
nice, did you balance the fan or edfhobbies did that?

thx.

flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:04 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011 View Post
nice, did you balance the fan or edfhobbies did that?

thx.

I had to put the combo together. So I balanced it the best I could (so not dynamic balanced). From when I started to now, the vibrations are at a minimum. Next time I may spend the $20 and have Jack do it - I didn't know at the time of ordering that they did it (for an extra cost).
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2014, 06:12 PM
Warbird Willie
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Jul 2012
196 Posts
Finally gave up on the retracts and installed fixed gear. Modified Maiden tomorrow.

Jim
jtalley10 is offline Find More Posts by jtalley10
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtalley10 View Post
Finally gave up on the retracts and installed fixed gear. Modified Maiden tomorrow.

Jim
other options:

1/ bungee
2/ dolly
3/ even hand launch

:-)

flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:23 PM
Warbird Willie
Joined Jul 2012
196 Posts
I have to land on either pavement or desert, pavement is a lot better, and really needs wheels. A little extra drag but a huge loss in weight from 3 retracts. Was really surprised at how well this thing flies when worry is taken away. Really enjoyable flying, landings really make me look good. Very disappointed in Exceed for the crap retracts in such a beautiful plane.

Jim
Old Feb 20, 2014, 01:54 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,688 Posts
Glad you are at least flying it and enjoying it now. The Exceed retracts definitely need some TLC to be useable. I have mine working well now, with changes previously mentioned.

I did fail to mention that I went to a Freewing wheel all the way around with the mains and nose. It's about the same size as the foam wheel, just a bit smaller. This wheel comes on many Freewing jets (F-18 nose, Eurofighter nose, F-35 nose, etc.). My foam wheels were getting beat up and since they don't roll true (toed in) they actually cause some rolling resistance. I can tell from these new rubber wheels that the F-18 rolls easier during taxi.

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-wheel/

My only complaint currently is I'm still using the pull-pull steering on the nose. It can cause some unpredictable take offs. But havent ran off the runway in quite a while. The next time I do, I'll be going to the common Freewing steering arm - which some foam will have to be trimmed to fit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2014, 06:59 PM
United States, NY, Bayville
Joined Aug 2009
133 Posts
I was really hoping that the retract issue was fixed but it has not. Second operating the retracts the one ball joint failed and the threaded screw stripped out.

I was able to fix that and when to fly her for the first time and low and behold the one retract woulded extend fully. Luckily, she landed pretty good and slitly damaged the front retract. Beefed it up using Molly's and gluing them in. Got the retracts fully extended and will fly it that way until I can get the issue resolved with Nitroplanes.

On another note, she flew pretty nice and only required a little trim. She glided in nicely and if it wasn't for the retract issue, she would have laned beautifully. I wasn't impressed with the speed and thought she would have been faster so it looks like an upgrade is in the future.
rlbomber is online now Find More Posts by rlbomber
Old Mar 10, 2014, 08:48 AM
Warbird Willie
Joined Jul 2012
196 Posts
Never got my retracts working...put her in the shed and almost forgot about her. Finally decided to try with fixed gear and quickly became a favorite. Beautiful flying airframe, just sorry I spent the extra money on crap retracts. Guess I'll stick with FMS and Freewing. Really a shame they messed up a great flyer. Even get a good "whooooosh" on high speed low passes.

Jim
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:48 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,688 Posts
Fun to fly, she'll be missed..... she gone.

Exceed RC 70mm F-18 tribute (4 min 5 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tdford; Mar 16, 2014 at 09:00 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:07 AM
United States, NY, Bayville
Joined Aug 2009
133 Posts
Dam Tdford, it looked like the one wing collapsed on you. Is that what happened?
rlbomber is online now Find More Posts by rlbomber
Old Mar 16, 2014, 08:52 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,688 Posts
That was at impact. She basically went straight in.

Everything, servos, rx, ESC, BEC, and motor all worked after the crash. I had no control the last 3 seconds, so the receiver is suspect.

EDIT: one of two things happend. My battery moved forward after the roll (was using a velcro strap though) and CG changed, or I lost the port side elevator surface. The stab was intact, but not the control surface. It was the only thing not recovered from the crash site. It was seperated perfectly from the foam hinge.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tdford; Apr 03, 2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2014, 02:39 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
1,688 Posts
I've decided not to replace the F18... It was one of my favorites. Will maybe get the Freewing 90mm down the road.

I have some spares that I can probably let go. Some drop tanks and missles, landing gear both retracts and fixed. Some brand new. I'll gather it up and get it posted, or if you're interested shoot me a PM.
RCG Plus Member