HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2010, 01:51 AM
Joined Feb 2007
72 Posts
Discussion
Covering Carl Goldberg Electra

I'm just about to finish building my first kit plane (Electra) and I'm now strating to consider how to cover it.
Please help me with these things:
1. What is a good color scheme?
2. I want to use te film sold in UnitedHobbies. How good is it?
3. How many rolls do I need?

Thanks allot
knfevg is offline Find More Posts by knfevg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2010, 05:09 PM
Taos, NM
Joined Oct 2008
61 Posts
I'm not familiar with United Hobbies, but I have a strong liking for Ultra-coat. It's like Monocote but a lot stronger. Monocote was great when it first came out, Ultracoat is just an improvement on it.

I also have a few Carl Goldberg sailplanes. One is the Gentle Lady, which has transparent red wings and tail feathers, and a yellow fuselage. It's modified with a wheel and skid on the bottom, and a cockpit on top. Otherwise stock. It looks good. The red really stands out up against blue sky or clouds.

The other one I have is a Sophisticated Lady. This one is going to be chrome silver monocote, only because I've had a roll of that stuff for years. To off-set the silver, I thought I'd do the bottom of the wing in purple so that I can tell if it's rightside up when it's far away. I'll probably also use purple trim over the silver elsewhere. Now the purple is Ultracoat, but I think it'll be okay. It'll just make the bottom of the wing tougher for landings.

And I think probably one roll will do you, but just to avoid frustration, maybe you should pick up two rolls. Besides, then you'll have some left for repairs.
ameimen is offline Find More Posts by ameimen
Old Apr 02, 2010, 06:16 PM
September 2010
United States, OR, Lakeview
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
Agree with the ameimen, that Ultracote is a very good product and would recomend that you consider using that. I will be interested in seeing if anyone says anything about the United Hobbies (AKA Hobby King) covering because I don't know anything about the film.

Colors are very subjective, I have found that most everything shifts to a dark spot at altitude. My Electra is covered in dark burgundy and black and I seem to see it easy enough. Please post any photos that you want to, we are always up for anything that you want to share. Even my white Radian seems to be very dark unless it is against a very blue sky.
Outback Joe is offline Find More Posts by Outback Joe