SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:08 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrie1966 View Post
Any news about this charger at the moment??? The H4 is also on my list. I went to the local store this afternoon and the owner uses this charger without any problems. And now i see this tread about the H4.
Now that nearly a month has gone by since my last post here and no one has replied at all, let alone defended the charger. I really don't know what to think. But I personally don't take it as a good sign.

I did what I said and got a iCharger 308DUO instead of the H4. So far it has been great. 1300W divided by two ports and it balances very accurately. It also has live display of the pack's internal resistance and i got a free V3 parallel balancing board from buddyrc when i ordered it. So i have one of those hooked up to each of the two ports.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2014, 08:21 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,809 Posts
A flying buddy at the club did what you did times two. He has his H4 for sale and hasn't gotten any nibbles yet.

An update to his problems, he was using a variable power supply. He noticed once when he accidentally turned the knob to a higher voltage, the H4 shut down, then wouldn't power up again. It was sent in again and repaired. He had been running his at 17vdc input. The H4, according to my buddy, says don't got over 18vdc. He's thinking now that might have been the problem, he was accidently turning the voltage knob, bumping, brushing against it and so on and going over 18vdc. We speculated if you use a fixed 12vdc power supply, you might be ok. But, that's just a guess.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:12 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
A flying buddy at the club did what you did times two. He has his H4 for sale and hasn't gotten any nibbles yet.

An update to his problems, he was using a variable power supply. He noticed once when he accidentally turned the knob to a higher voltage, the H4 shut down, then wouldn't power up again. It was sent in again and repaired. He had been running his at 17vdc input. The H4, according to my buddy, says don't got over 18vdc. He's thinking now that might have been the problem, he was accidently turning the voltage knob, bumping, brushing against it and so on and going over 18vdc. We speculated if you use a fixed 12vdc power supply, you might be ok. But, that's just a guess.
Edwin
A charger that costs this much should have voltage input protection of some kind. Hell, for that matter it should be capable of 24V input since 6S charging is very common these days...

I don't really have any experience with the H4 charger or any of its "problems". But i can tell you that i had a Turnigy 400W 4x6S charger that seems to basically have all the features of the H4 but each channel is 20W weaker at 100W each instead of 120W each. However, that charger is only about $116 in comparison. I personally used one for about 2 years. I ran it to its maximum almost every day. The cooling fan still works today but two of the ports on the charger have burned out, likely from under powering the charger with a 12V supply from my car and still forcing it to charge 6S 4000 and 5000 mAh packs. Lower voltage input made it run pretty hot. So it was only a matter of time till something burned out. But like i said, two ports still work and i still can use them. But this was why i needed a new charger. After two years, that one was on its last leg. It is also why I was looking for a quality charger if i have to drop $270+ on it. Because the Turnigy charger isn't perfect. But for $116, it was hard to complain about.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 02:25 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,809 Posts
No arguments here, 100% agree. My buddy is using a couple of ichargers mentioned above and likes them a lot. I'm still considering what to do, I would like to be able to vary the discharge cutoff voltage, the X4 I have doesn't allow that for LiFe batteries. You have to fake it out. That's doable but kind of a pain. I cycle all my batteries (nicd, nimh, and LiFe) in January and remove from service weak batteries. LiPo's don't get cycled, I don't have many of those. I don't fly much electric.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:37 AM
Nederland, ZE, Zierikzee
Joined Dec 2010
60 Posts
This morning i receive the Hitec H4 charger with firmware 1.03.

I test 1 SLS 1000 Mah 3S battery and charged it wit 1C.
These are the voltage numbers after the charge.

Total voltage 12,62 volt 100% full

Cel 1: 4,206 volt
Cel 2: 4,203 volt
Cel 3: 4,206 volt

No problems until so far.
Adrie1966 is offline Find More Posts by Adrie1966
Old Dec 10, 2014, 09:38 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrie1966 View Post
This morning i receive the Hitec H4 charger with firmware 1.03.

I test 1 SLS 1000 Mah 3S battery and charged it wit 1C.
These are the voltage numbers after the charge.

Total voltage 12,62 volt 100% full

Cel 1: 4,206 volt
Cel 2: 4,203 volt
Cel 3: 4,206 volt

No problems until so far.
Excellent! keep us posted if anything shows up.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:37 PM
An unexpected error occurred
Belgium, Flemish Region, Duffel
Joined Apr 2012
838 Posts
I started experiencing problems again after summer.
With the balance adapter connected, the charger prematurely cutout, leaving my batteries charged at around 96 to 97%. When I disconnected the balance adapters, my batteries charged to 98%.
Since I already swapped mine a year ago, I didn't feel like doing that again. I was happy to read on this thread that a new firmware version should solve these problems once and for all.
So I ordered the HPP-22 USB adapter and set to work. It took a bit of fiddling with the 3-wire cables (you really have to insert them firmly and deep enough into the charger), but soon enough my firmware update was in progress and successful.

I tested it by charging one of my 4S4000 Lipos, still charged at 98%,and this is the result:

cell1: 4,205V
cell2: 4,205V
cell3: 4,203V
cell4: 4,203V

It took more than 15 minutes, but I'm very happy with this result!

It is so true, for a charger of this quality and price level, it is unacceptable that
1) It took so long to bring out a firmware update
2) there is such a lack of decent communication or support about this known (!) problem: it took a lot of goodwill form the part of the online store where I bought it to send me a replacement charger, free of charge.
Hitec Germany wanted to investigate and test first, shipment charges at my risk, to see if they wanted to support this problem.

I'm very happy with this charger, it's one fine piece of equipment, but this problem hangs as a very dark cloud over it.
I' really hoping this is the end of it, and I can enjoy this charger for many more years to come.
Phaedra is offline Find More Posts by Phaedra
RCG Plus Member