SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:49 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Implementation of a RF receiver and transmitter for secure data-exchange

Hello all,

I need some help regarding Implementation of a RF receiver and transmitter for secure data-exchange. I am using RFM70 transceiver for wireless data transfer, I am using a microcontroller dsPIC33EPxxxGP504. Please give me some idea how can i transfer secure data. my main aim is to "In „normal operation“ the system shall receive position points and move indepently. Relevant data shall be transmitted to the base station."

I should progarm in C. If any one can help me with some idea how can i proceed then it would be great.

Thank you
nilmani is offline Find More Posts by nilmani
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:47 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,341 Posts
What exactly is meant by "secure data-exchange" ?

Does that mean reliable data exchange or encrypted non-hackable date exchange ?

I would go back to whoever set you this exercise and ask for clarification.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:33 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,918 Posts
Odd! You join an Rc group forum today just to ask a question that would be better in an Amature radio forum.

Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:13 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilmani View Post
Hello all,

I need some help regarding Implementation of a RF receiver and transmitter for secure data-exchange. I am using RFM70 transceiver for wireless data transfer, I am using a microcontroller dsPIC33EPxxxGP504. Please give me some idea how can i transfer secure data. my main aim is to "In „normal operation“ the system shall receive position points and move indepently. Relevant data shall be transmitted to the base station."

I should progarm in C. If any one can help me with some idea how can i proceed then it would be great.

Thank you
I answered your question already on the RCM&E forums here: http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...s.asp?th=74172
Here it is again if you missed it:
Quote:
Agreed, you're probably better off asking on eda-board or similar.

To answer your question, one way would be to use an off-the-shelf module and protocol, such as the XBee range or even two Bluetooth modules.

Alternatively there is commerical encryption libraries that you could use - however its likely they would need 2 way data transfer at some point, to exchange the public key. There probably is open source libraries and/or ports about based on a type of encryption used by SSL - such as based on OpenSSL.

However if its a school/university project and the principle of security is all that is required (and not actually decent, secure encryption that's safe enough for a commercial project), you could look at using simple XOR encryption.

Again, if you want more help or information, I'd advise going to either EDA-Boards, or possibly more coding support forum such as stack-overflow, etc. Make sure you show some leg work in trying to solve the problem, otherwise they'll slaughter you (or get no response at all)!

Cheers,
Si.
To add to that, I'd also google AES encryption and have a look through some example code.

Your not going to get much more information on a RC forum!

Si.

Edit: How apt, this is my 255 post. Looks like I'm about to get out of the 8-bit post count world.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:35 PM
Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Joined Dec 2007
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Edit: How apt, this is my 255 post. Looks like I'm about to get out of the 8-bit post count world.
I like it......:-)
IanJ is offline Find More Posts by IanJ