SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:08 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
Discussion
BVM Electra

Hi, my name is Chris - occassionally I build jets when I'm not hanging sheetrock

Finally have a shop and I'm back on the Electra which has taken WAY too long! No fault of the plane, I've probably spent a total of a month or month and a half at most on it in the last YEAR .

In any case, I shot the first coat of color over the weekend which promptly ran all over the place . Something about the 40 degree application temps and my rusty spray gun skills I'm sure. I spent a couple hours sanding out all the runs over the past few days and tonight did it right. Came out great, it was a little warmer and I did what I should have done the other day - kicked the cars out of my new GARAGE and shot it in there. Nice to have some actual space to work in for the first time in my life
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:13 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Nice! I need to get color on mine still!
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:23 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Looks good Chris.

Whats that on the left sidewall behind the nosewheel bulkhead ? Are you useing air retracts ?
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:30 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
Thanks! It's just the radio switch, I use a large JR switch with the built in charge receptacle and it didn't quite fit on the radio tray so I made a mount up. The gear are the BVM mechanicals. With the correct JR monster torque retract servo's they work very smoothly. Took me a while to get the nose gear working perfect with the doors but it was worth the effort, the mains by contrast were pretty easy to set up.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:52 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,608 Posts
Welcome back Chris, your front row seat in Jet Nirvana has been kept warm and is waiting for you, the Electra looks great and I am sure it will be ready to tear up the sky in style. No telling what sort of high voltage juice we are gonna see coming out from behind the curtain now that you have a bonified jet factory shop at home. Are you still flying out of the grass strip or do you have a solid piece of asphalt to fly off from these days
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:16 AM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,837 Posts
i like the yella!

CT i was thinking of usin air retracts, i have like 3 extra pairs. I know the BV rertacts are VERY nice but i'm not a mech. retract fan. i would think it would be just as light with air and i would not have to worry when removing the wings about unlinking them.

your thoughts?
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:15 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
Still grass Eddie.

Hoser, no problem adding air cylinders. But I suspect you're not talking BVM parts . They used to have, and probably still do, little plastic tab adapters you could use to mount "other brands" to the BVM flex plates. The problem becomes now you need to re-engineer things. You can probably still get the nose gear doors to work without too much agony but what about the mains? With the gears sitting an 1/8" higher you'd probably need to mould new bulged strut doors and figure out a way to mount em solidly.

The BVM gear has a tapped hole in the LG trunion that mounts the top of the door and a full page of instructions on how to finess the parts for a good fit. I gotta say, doing those doors was one of my favorite parts of the build. The instructions made a fiddly operation go by in about 10 minutes per door - sand the top 1/2" down X on a slight curve until the top of the door clears the skin when retracting, take a couple swipes HERE, one or two THERE until the edges touch the skin, apply thin CA while pressing to shape and viola! you're done and it fits. Gotta love it.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:24 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Mar 2004
589 Posts
Chris...glad to see you hard at it and the paint looks great so far. I can't wait to see the finished product!
CTulanko is offline Find More Posts by CTulanko
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:29 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,734 Posts
Hoser, All retracts are mechanical. I'm just not sure why BV chose to acutate them with servos instead of air cylinders. I'm sure you'll sort it out. See you next week.
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:37 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
One more thought Hoser, weight is less an issue than drag. The strut doors really do clean things up and if you fly exclusively from pavement he has an alternate set of doors that are longer and cover more of the wheel. I got to fly the red, white and blue prototype at Fentress last year which was pretty cool - he shipped it up to one of his reps for the weekend. What impressed me most was the low drag, not being my airplane I flew it pretty conservatively. Right after liftoff and getting the gear and flaps up I throttled back a lot and just flew around at 1/2 throttle most of the flight. The plane just kept getting faster and faster through the first 2 or 3 circuits at 1/2 throttle which told me it's a really clean package. The doors are a big reason for that so whatever you do - do it right
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:07 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2004
278 Posts
im loving mine!
i bumped the original 4012 fan i had up to the 5012 fan and picked up quite a bit of top end speed. id say full throttle went from 160 to around 180+. like you say, its very clean and holds speed well, untill you drop gear and flaps, then it takes 40% throttle to keep it flying, which makes approaches and landings go off without a hitch.
not 1 issue with the mechanical retracts, they work great.

Kirk
imacav8r is offline Find More Posts by imacav8r
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:21 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
Which battery setup are you running? 5k's or the 6,400's? I'm semi undecided at the moment, it's fun to show off with the maximum possible power once in a while but for everyday flying the 10S setup is adequate .
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:47 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2004
278 Posts
Batts

Im actually running (2x) 6S1P-6000 cells from Falcon Batteries. i like the fact they are a 1P config with 6000mah, plus each pack is built like 2 3S packs side by side with a hinge, so you can fold them to any angle to fit anywhere. i use them folded into a brick for the heli, or open them flat for the jet. they are 20C cells, and dont have any trouble showing the 115 amps required, using my medusa meter during ground runs. post flight they seem to be around 120 degrees or so. (i do have the NACA cooling ducts)

Kirk
imacav8r is offline Find More Posts by imacav8r
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:35 AM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Nice Chris. Glad to see your back at it.

The Electra is a very clean airframe. Until you drop the gear. The nose gear airbrake produces a lot of drag. Be prepared to add up elevator and increase the throttle when the gear comes down. The flaps slow you down some but not as much as the gear.

Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:48 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,267 Posts
Chris, thats a great looking bird

Nice to see you back at it
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe