HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:27 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
Discussion
Solar Powered UAV Project

A classmate and I designed and built a solar powered airplane for our senior project. We're using a Pixie-20p ESC and a Berg 4L (Both have performed exceptionally well). There's a thread about the project in the UAV forum which covers most of the details:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572000

The most frequent question that comes up is why we're using a brushed motor, but for the low power levels that we're operating at (8 watts @ 750rpm) high-precision brushed motors are more efficient. We are using a Maxon RE25 18volt carbon brushed motor with a 4.4:1 ceramic planetary gear head, the tested motor efficiency is around 79%.

Questions and comments are welcome,

-Adam
AJWoods is online now Find More Posts by AJWoods
Last edited by AJWoods; Nov 15, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:59 PM
No warning points today!!
Hixson, TN
Joined May 2005
645 Posts
Flight time?
flyingace451 is offline Find More Posts by flyingace451
Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:15 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
Right now we're still collecting test data (one of the requirements for the design class), so we've been making a series of short 10-15 minute flights to determine the airplane's performance at different times of day. There's no onboard power supply other than the solar cells (there is a receiver pack for safety), so flight duration is dependant on the minimum solar inclination angle needed to sustain flight. Last thursday we were able to fly until 3:15pm, which translates to a sun angle of about 16 degrees and a possible flight duration of 6hrs (In november in MA). In june this would allow us to fly for over 11 hrs , and this number would get larger if we took the plane up to Maine or Canada.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:40 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,094 Posts
Very nice!! What airfoil are you using? Are the solar cells recessed into the wing panel, or do they protrude? What is the efficiency of your cells?...Pete
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:32 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
Pete,

The airfoil we're using is an NG01. Itís a F1c style airfoil that has a more generous speed range than most used for FF duration.

The solar panel consists of 18 Sunpower A-300 solar cells, and the manufacturerís spec claims efficiencies up to 21.5% The cells are encapsulated between sheets of optically clear Kapton, and the resulting panel is about 1/32" thick. The encapsulation material helps distribute loads evenly over the cell so it is possible to bend them around gentle curves without breaking. As a result we were able to mount the panels directly to the upper surface of the wing, requiring no airfoil modifications. Extra encapsulation material was left around the cells to make give the panel a uniform leading edge, and the resulting lip serves as a tabulator strip.

-Adam
Last edited by AJWoods; Nov 16, 2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 03:23 PM
Registered Triplane Addict
Winchester MA
Joined Jun 2004
1,770 Posts
wow where do you guys fly this? I would love to see it... Im not far off.
68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat
Old Nov 29, 2006, 03:49 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
We ususally fly at CRRC's glider field in Sudbury. We're writing our final report right now, so we probably won't fly again until after christmas.

-Adam
Old Jan 04, 2007, 10:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
15 Posts
MIT KID, I pm'd you a request for the supplier info for your A300 cells, maybe you didn't see it. Pretty please?
murmur is offline Find More Posts by murmur
Old Feb 05, 2007, 01:07 PM
AVOID BARNS AT ALL COSTS!
Joined Jan 2007
42 Posts
any copies of the plans?
lowbudgetflyboy is offline Find More Posts by lowbudgetflyboy
Old Feb 05, 2007, 07:38 PM
AVOID BARNS AT ALL COSTS!
Joined Jan 2007
42 Posts
and how much did this cost to make
as much info as possible i have a woodshop project next semester on something either solar or batterie powered and might like to build something similar.
lowbudgetflyboy is offline Find More Posts by lowbudgetflyboy
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:10 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,184 Posts
WOW Looks Great!!
What is the output per cell (Volts, Current or Watts)?
I wanted to try something myself and I was looking at the Power film Solar gear but I'm not sure if they are efficient enough to get a plane off the ground.
If itís ok I have a few questions....
How much power does you plane use to maintain flight?
Did you use any specific formulas to calculate how many solar cells you needed?

Thanks

Scott
Bilox is online now Find More Posts by Bilox