HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2002, 02:31 AM
Hairy E-Pilot
Ellensburg, Wa, USA
Joined Dec 2000
554 Posts
My new plane (long post)

Well here it is, my new plane, Iíve been holding off posting about it tell after the maiden flight, which was today (more on that later ), so here it is.

First the specs:
50Ē span, 9 ďcord, 450 squares
Endo, MEC Monster box @ 4.2:1, APC 12x8E, 380 watts
10 cell CP2400, Kontronik Sun 4001
Hitec Supreme 8, HS-81s
NACA 2412 airfoil
Balsa sheeted foam core construction
AUW 75oz, Wingload 24oz/ft

This plane was designed to fight the wind, hence the highish wingload, maidened today in 5 to 10 mph wind and it flew PERFECTLY, I mean just beautiful. I did some taxi tests about 2 weeks ago (25mph daily wind from then tell now) and had a pretty bad nose over (tall grass) so I found a better field to do the maiden. Easy take off from the some what rough field, about 40 feet at ĺ throttle, smooth fast climb out, level flight at about ľ throttle with 2 clicks left trim on the ailerons. This thing really moved out at ĺ throttle, I never got near full, smooth and rock steady, I was in love. I ran a few circuits, then lined up for landing approach, this thing is pretty clean and needs a little time to slow down (I wasnít ready to try the flaperons or spoilerons just yet), so to fast, overshoot on the first, no problem, around again, second pass still a little hot, still no trouble as Iím only about 3 minutes into the flight. So third pass I go further out and move the throttle way back, a little closer I chop it to zero, prop slows and the plane starts to slow down nicely, this one looks good (can you tell Iím building toward something). At this point Iím telling my self to bring it in soft and hold it in ground effect for a bit and go full elevator up on touch down to avoid the nose over and SMACK ( you know the sickening POP), the plane stops mid air and drops, small peaces flutter down, as I realize, FENCE POST. As I start that walk I wanna cry and puke. I hit the steal fence post (the barbwire type thatís about 1Ē wide), head on with the spinner. Scuffmark on the post is about 2Ē from the top, if I were 6Ē higher or to the side it would have been nothing more that a close call. Anyway, picture tells the rest, its rebuildable and it flew so damn pretty I have to fix it.

Damage list:

The cowl and nose are gone
Broken spinner
Bent gearbox shaft
Rear gearbox bearing blown clean out
Ripped radio wires out of the ESC (hope it still works)
Striped elevator servo (bounced off the post and hit the ground tail first)
Gash in wing from fence wire
And deep ego bruising

More pictures at
http://communities.msn.com/BigfootsB...nw?albumlist=2

Thanks for listening to my story, Iím sure there is more to come, Standing by in the ICU
Gary
All__talk is offline Find More Posts by All__talk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2002, 02:32 AM
Hairy E-Pilot
Ellensburg, Wa, USA
Joined Dec 2000
554 Posts
another

from the back
Old May 09, 2002, 02:36 AM
Hairy E-Pilot
Ellensburg, Wa, USA
Joined Dec 2000
554 Posts
and the aftermath
Old May 09, 2002, 03:06 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,431 Posts
All talk.
Let me say very nice looking machine and very purpose full looking.

We feel ya pain but as the Phoenix will rise again and starnge as it seems they usually fly better second time round.

Do not be discourged we all do this some more than others just do it byo.

Sluf7
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old May 09, 2002, 05:43 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Ouuuch... Get that great looking plane back together ans up in the air!! Good job before hitting the post!!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old May 09, 2002, 07:50 AM
It's just PLANE silly!
Ontario
Joined Jan 2002
915 Posts
photo

You had to go and take a picture of the plane before the maiden eh? See what happens?

If you don't take a picture, they last 8 years.

Sorry about your plane. I am sure it will fly fine again soon. Just don't take a picture next time

Eric
balsaman is offline Find More Posts by balsaman
Old May 09, 2002, 08:43 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Gary
That's a bummer, but be careful kicking fenceposts - they don't really care and you could find yourself hobbling around for weeks

Seriously, that's a real nice looking model you've done for yourself - you have every reason to be real proud of her.

Rebuild her, or make a more refined version and go forth to committ more aviation. While you're at it, publish the plan someplace - our world needs a model like that. Looks an ideal model to step up from an LT25 basic trainer without buying new gear.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 09, 2002, 09:02 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Oww....

I know the feeling- my Super Pacer got strained through a tree on its second flight- that wasn't so rebuildable.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old May 09, 2002, 09:30 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
What a heartbreak! It was a fine looking plane judging by the first photos. Be sure you collected every tiny scrap of foam if you plan to repair it.

I'd suggest tying a bright dayglow orange ribbon to the the fencepost just to avoid the same mistake in the future after you've had time to forget it's still there.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old May 09, 2002, 09:48 AM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
I can empathize with the "cry and puke" feeling. I felt the same way as I took one of those long walks to the general area where I last saw my plane and last heard a loud THWACK.

It's a bummer, but fortunately your plane looks thoroughly repairable. And, it is a very nice looking ship.

I look forward to hearing about it's phoenix flight.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old May 09, 2002, 05:19 PM
Hairy E-Pilot
Ellensburg, Wa, USA
Joined Dec 2000
554 Posts
Thank you all for your good words, just what I needed to hear to lift my spirits and inspire me to rebuild it better than ever.

I donít think Iíll piece it back together, more likely Iíll section off the front and build a new one. I think I might extend the nose an inch or so because I had to move the battery all the way forward and use a heavy spinner to get it to balance. I'm sure I'll be posting as things proceed.

Again, thanks to you guys, without you and the E-zone this hobby would really be missing something for me.

Feeling the love in the room
Gary
Old May 14, 2002, 07:53 PM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Sorry All_talk, know the feeling.

On the photographing thing, I've found that photographing a plane prevents crashes rather than causing them. I have a number of planes that have gone to God that were never photographed. Maybe it's the opposite down under?
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old May 14, 2002, 08:06 PM
Big Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2001
138 Posts
Hmmm. Seems to work for me.

Maybe it's an individual thing. I just crashed a plane for the first time that did any real damage in a long time this weekend. One day after photographing it. I never photograph planes, but this one I did.

Could have been worse, though. It'll be fixed by Saturday!

Capslock
Capslock is offline Find More Posts by Capslock
Old May 14, 2002, 11:16 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Rebuild

Hi Gary -

S--t happens.

I had a similar experience with a converted ARF called a Schoolboy from Hobby Shack. The wing folded on the second or third flight and it came in from about 20 feet.

I cut things back under the wing and scarfed on new sides, making the nose longer as you planned. By the time I finished, including putting a carbon tube in the wing, it was a better plane and I never looked back.

Good luck.

Ron
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Aug 24, 2004, 02:23 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune. I'm sure by now it's well on it's way to recovery. I have had to make the sickening walk to the crash site, dreaming up all kinds of scenarios on the way.
The last walk involved a folded wing on a Cermark New Timer. The plane lawn darted into the asphalt and drove the Mega into the ESC/lipo.
That wasn't the end of it..after leaving the lipo outside for a few days on a metal chair, I resumed flying with it. A few weeks later, it caught on fire in the house!!!!!!!!!!!
I lucked out and threw it in the sink while $160 worth of lipos finished burning...Total incident cost North of $320... 5 times the total dollar loss from the previous 6 years in the hobby...
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane