HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2001, 12:02 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
New incandescent light source?

Okay, I've just cooked two esc's in a row on my wattage extra 330. Both were 20 amp cont. rated, both worked for a couple of radio tests and both glowed very brightly upon failure. Same three initial brand. Both wired correctly. Both under very little load and under max cell count.
What am I missing here? I've used this brand before with satifactory results.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2001, 12:15 PM
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
803 Posts
Is your motor shorted?
SheldonYoung is offline Find More Posts by SheldonYoung
Old Sep 07, 2001, 12:25 PM
Spokane WA
Joined Aug 2000
185 Posts
Hi,
Any chance you were trying to measure voltage across the motor when this happened?
DT
Dave Thrams is offline Find More Posts by Dave Thrams
Old Sep 07, 2001, 03:21 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
The motor might be shorted, but it draws normally when tested on a power source. Doesn't smell, no visable arcing.
Nope, wasn't testing the draw when the esc's fried.
wierd.
Old Sep 07, 2001, 03:56 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
The motor might be shorted, but it draws normally when tested on a power source. Doesn't smell, no visable arcing.
Nope, wasn't testing the draw when the esc's fried.
wierd.
Old Sep 07, 2001, 04:07 PM
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
803 Posts
The fact it's getting bright indicates it's getting a lot of power from somewhere. If the motor is working normally it may be that you have a shorted connector or fuse (if you're using one).

Of course, you could have plugged the battery into the wrong connector. I don't know about you, but I've never done that. Nope. Never.
SheldonYoung is offline Find More Posts by SheldonYoung
Old Sep 07, 2001, 04:15 PM
T-52 over Seattle
Seattle
Joined Jun 2001
267 Posts
LOL, and I've never hooked the charger directly to the esc either. Nope, never! Not even last weekend when it made strange beeps and turned the motor over a few times.

I didn't even leave the TX in its aluminum carrying case and try a quick check to see if I had fried it. If I had, I can tell you that the TX range is less than 2 inches in its case.

Luckily, everything turned out to be OK, hypothetically. Of course, nobody slow charges their batteries inside their planes anyway.

Silver
Silver is offline Find More Posts by Silver
Old Sep 08, 2001, 01:00 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
I've never hooked up anything wrong in my life(snort). That's why I make sure that there's only ONE way to make a hook up.
Tommorrow I'll snip the pos lead from the esc to the motor. If the esc still glows, I guess it's just a piece o' poop esc. They are pretty inexpensive, so maybe I got what I paid for.