HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
Joined Jun 2013
5 Posts
Help!
My Heli turning on its own.

Hi, I am a total newbie, I don't know anything about RC helicopters, I never new that it was so complicated to fly a RC Heli.

I bought a Helicopter this morning it says Gyro on it's box. Just after it lifts off the ground the plane skids off to the back or sometimes to the left, and if I take off slowly it starts to spin counter clockwise slowly. I live in Pakistan, shop keepers here sometimes play with the Helis and pack it back as if they were new and then sell it, maybe they broke it, I am not sure. Is this normal? if not, how should I fix it?

Help will be appreciated,
Heli Freak64
Heli Freak64 is offline Find More Posts by Heli Freak64
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:10 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Welcome! Let's start with what helicopter you bought. That way folks with experience with that bird can help.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:14 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,475 Posts
Can you post a picture?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Jun 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Welcome! Let's start with what helicopter you bought. That way folks with experience with that bird can help.
Thank you for the Welcome message. I don't really know the name of the helicopter, there is no name on the heli itself and it only says V-Max on the box. China sells low quality stuff here in Pakistan, they don't care if there is a name or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Can you post a picture?
This one looks just like my heli, but it is not mine:

I noticed that sometimes the heli never lifts of the ground. When I push my throttle the heli skids to one direction sometimes left sometimes right, backwards etc. Or sometimes it does lift off the ground but moves to a different direction and crashes, and it is also rotating clockwise on its own.
Is it broken?, should I get it repaired?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:17 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Freak64 View Post
I noticed that sometimes the heli never lifts of the ground. When I push my throttle the heli skids to one direction sometimes left sometimes right, backwards etc. Or sometimes it does lift off the ground but moves to a different direction and crashes, and it is also rotating clockwise on its own.
Is it broken?, should I get it repaired?
Take off more quickly. You can't do anything with those helicopters while they are blocked by the ground. The gyro doesn't work properly until the helicopter is free to move in the air. That's why the behavior seems random - because it is. If you had a trim problem, the thing would always go off the same direction. Also check everything for little hairs - they get into the tail rotors and cause it to move slowly.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:53 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,475 Posts
Ah, a coaxial. Give it enough throttle to get it at least two feet off the ground asap, they don't like ground turbulence. Once it's in the air, it'll self stabilize if you give it enough room to settle down.

Once that's done, you use the trims to stop the heli from spinning.

Note that the flybar is attached to the upper rotor, making it heavier so the load on the motors are always uneven. You may have to keep adjusting the trims as the battery winds down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:04 PM
Houston
Joined Oct 2006
251 Posts
Here, we call those (shopping) mall copters.. 3.5 channels is their category of rotary birds. Don't fly worth a darn in any kind of wind, but inside, or no wind, they should hover with no input provided they are balanced.. The tail rotor either blows down to lift the tail and make it fly forward or up to make it fly backwards.. They turn by slowing down one of the two main rotor motors and speeding up the other.. I flew one.. Once.. Ugh.. Horrible..

No swash plate what so ever to control cyclic pitch.

Should have a rotary knob on the front of the radio that controls the yaw trim to keep the heli from rotating left, or right and keep it pointing in one direction..
Tail Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Tail Wheel
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:17 AM
Joined Jun 2013
5 Posts
okay, I think I have to buy a new heli. Can anyone suggest a helicopter for me?, and remember I am a newbie.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:08 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,475 Posts
A micro quad like a v929 will be fine, it's mechanically simpler and perfectly symmetrical so you're less likely to have the rudder and aileron idiosyncrasies commonly found in helicopters.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:56 AM
Joined Jun 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
A micro quad like a v929 will be fine, it's mechanically simpler and perfectly symmetrical so you're less likely to have the rudder and aileron idiosyncrasies commonly found in helicopters.
No, I don't want a Quadcopter I want a Heli.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:08 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Freak64 View Post
No, I don't want a Quadcopter I want a Heli.
v911 then. It's how i learned to fly a helicopter. If you've ever been frustrated because your coaxial keeps getting sucked into the walls, having ailerons would be a godsend. It'll still have the same eccentricities of a larger heli but toned down to beginner manageable levels.

V911 HOVER with a brand NEW 145mAh battery.wmv (10 min 15 sec)

The advantage of having a working swashplate/cyclic.
RCG Plus Member