HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Discussion
Tiger 1 Project completed - PICS

Hi Guys

Well, as reported in another post I've completed the paint and upgrade of my Heng Long Tiger 1. All except the metal gears, which I'll be upgrading soon.

I thought you might like to see some photos of the finished result.

I fitted the metal tracks yesterday and was concerned about the slackness of them. As you'll see in the images the top of the metal tracks now rest on the top of the wheels. However, having studied lots of archive images it appears that this was quite normal on the real Tiger 1.

I've tried running it and it's fine. Although over rougher ground there was an occasional slip. So I may decide to remove one link when I upgrade the gears in a week or two. Oh and I upgraded the drive/sprocket wheels too.

I hope you like the result. This has been my first RC tank and my first work in painting and weathering a model. I've read up a great deal, watched lots of YT videos and I'm really pleased with the result. I've tried to avoid a smooth airbrushed result and aim for a more authentic look, inspired by the Winter weather we've had here in the UK.

Certainly the metal track completely transform the result. The whole tank looks much more realistic and sits well, it just looks 'heavy'. I cleaned them, sprayed them with Tamiya Red/Brown and then ran the tank on drive to rub off the paint. I think they look so much better than the plastic tracks.

Hope you enjoy the pics and it encourages a few more people to go for a realistic look to the HL Tiger 1

Cheers.

TS
TheSeeka is offline Find More Posts by TheSeeka
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:48 AM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
and the front

...and a slightly better image of the front of my Tiger 1.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:10 PM
Joined Feb 2010
389 Posts
Looks good!
Jeff
Jeff Van Hofwegen is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Van Hofwegen
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Van Hofwegen View Post
Looks good!
Jeff
Thanks Jeff, glad you like it :-)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:29 PM
Joined Apr 2008
84 Posts
Wow you did a very good job on you first ever paint and weathering a battle tank. love the black and white photos along with the color photos, they look so real the black and white, it does look close to the original in the photo. keep up the good work.
CHIEFSONN is offline Find More Posts by CHIEFSONN
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:07 PM
México, SLP, San Luis Potosí
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
Great Job man! I hope to start soon with the paint of my Tiger,and also I`m waiting for the 400 speed motors.Congratulations your Tiger is wonderful..now..what's next?
HECTOR2369 is offline Find More Posts by HECTOR2369
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:23 PM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEFSONN View Post
Wow you did a very good job on you first ever paint and weathering a battle tank. love the black and white photos along with the color photos, they look so real the black and white, it does look close to the original in the photo. keep up the good work.
Thanks! A low camera angle and Hipstamatic on my iPhone and it looks like the Germans are heading up my street!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTOR2369 View Post
Great Job man! I hope to start soon with the paint of my Tiger,and also I`m waiting for the 400 speed motors.Congratulations your Tiger is wonderful..now..what's next?
Thanks Hector. Any ideas on the paint scheme you want to go for? I think Tigers look good in Desert colours, as well as Western Front greens and browns. Then again German grey just weathered looks cool too.

As for my next one... Well, yes, I've got the bug now. I think my next 1/16th scale will be a King Tiger. Or maybe a Panzer III.

I think I'm going to try my hand at a 1/35 scale Tiger 1. Now I know my way around the design I feel like having a go at Desert camo, Wittmann style.

Watch this space!

TS.

PS. Post pics of your project soon!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:01 AM
México, SLP, San Luis Potosí
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeka View Post
Thanks Hector. Any ideas on the paint scheme you want to go for? I think Tigers look good in Desert colours, as well as Western Front greens and browns. Then again German grey just weathered looks cool too.

As for my next one... Well, yes, I've got the bug now. I think my next 1/16th scale will be a King Tiger. Or maybe a Panzer III.

I think I'm going to try my hand at a 1/35 scale Tiger 1. Now I know my way around the design I feel like having a go at Desert camo, Wittmann style.

Watch this space!

TS.

PS. Post pics of your project soon!
Hi Seeka! ofcourse I have an idea about the colors I want in my Tiger..you are right, maybe a desert colours or some greens will be fine,but that is going to be a surprise and I think the choice of a King tiger 1/16 for you will be very nice!
HECTOR2369 is offline Find More Posts by HECTOR2369
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:12 AM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTOR2369 View Post
Hi Seeka! ofcourse I have an idea about the colors I want in my Tiger..you are right, maybe a desert colours or some greens will be fine,but that is going to be a surprise and I think the choice of a King tiger 1/16 for you will be very nice!
Cool! Looking forward to it Hector.

Can I recommend taking lots of photos as you progress through the stages of the paint job. It's good to look back over the project and see how you've progressed. I found it really useful to keep a record of building up the layers. And it's nice to be able to look back and see where you started from.

King Tiger is the obvious choice... You just get more BANG for your buck!

Good luck and take your time!

Best

TS
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:05 PM
Drammen rock city. Norway
Joined Aug 2009
239 Posts
I like what I see. Great work
maxmekker is offline Find More Posts by maxmekker
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:57 AM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmekker View Post
I like what I see. Great work
Many thank Max!

I appreciate the comment.

TS.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:05 AM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Really nice, I had one a few years back but sold it, wish I hadn't! Never got around to finishing the paint, you did a really good job of yours.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
Really nice, I had one a few years back but sold it, wish I hadn't! Never got around to finishing the paint, you did a really good job of yours.
Get yourself another one! They're a great quality model with lots of potential. And the RC features are great too.

Glad you like it. I've just finished the 'snow' weathering... a couple of new pics to follow :-)
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Snow weathering

So, I've finally finished the weathering with the addition of the snow effects.

I've certainly found the Mig Pigments to be brilliant for this job. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Next... the diorama!