HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:31 PM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
326 Posts
Discussion
Tip for Jello-Free Hero3 footage for Mulit-rotor aircraft!

I was getting pretty good results flying my quadcopter with the Hero2 at 720p60, but when I got the Hero3, and flew at 1080p60 I noticed I got substantially more "jello" in the image from the rolling shutter in the GoPro's CMOS sensor. I noticed that I did not get this result n overcast days, so I went looking for a way to easily get a good ND filter on & off the GoPro depending on the conditions. I found Snake River Prototyping's "Blurfix3 SO Naked" 55mm filter mount that they usually use for underwater filters, but they also sold a high quality ND filter called the "Maurami ND4X" ND filter that reduces the light getting into the lens by 2 stops. The slows the camera's shutter and the result is JELLO FREE AERIAL VIDEO!!! I'm not a sales person for SRP. I just am so stoked that after a year of dealing with this I finally have a reliable solution. Of course you should still balance your motors and props, but man this solution makes up for virtually all the imperfections in your aircraft. They also have a Circular Polarizer filter I'm going to try, but the 4X ND has dramatically improved my video. Even if you're not trying to kill jello, it is a great thing to use on bright sunny days. Check out my before/after comparison.
Cheers guys!
Here's their link to the mount/filter: http://www.snakeriverprototyping.com...lurfix3so.html

Here's the before/after video (watch full screen at 1080p to really see the difference)
GoPro Hero3 Jello Test & ND Filter Fix: "Blurfix3 SO Naked" (5 min 29 sec)

And here's a test (no comparison) of the filter on the Hero3 flying at the 720p120 setting. ZERO JELLO.
XP2 & GoPro Hero3 Sunny Jello Test - 720p120 - Blurfix3 SO Naked - Marumi NR4X (5 min 0 sec)

And the thing stays on well too! It snaps on and stays on, though they have a lanyard included for insurance.
Chadfish is offline Find More Posts by Chadfish
Last edited by Chadfish; Feb 02, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:39 AM
www.allthatido.com
India, MH, Mumbai
Joined May 2006
120 Posts
Great find Chad. Can this filter be used on a point and shoot cam like sony HX9V ?
ankurkaul17 is offline Find More Posts by ankurkaul17
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:15 AM
What's a servo?
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
447 Posts
Re Sony or NEC cameras.

ND filters will help to remove jello on ALL rolling shutter cameras.
Any brand or model that fits the camera are suitable.

2 stops should be enough for most applications, and recommend not going over 4 stops so the low light usage of the cameras is not crippled that much.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:43 PM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurkaul17 View Post
Great find Chad. Can this filter be used on a point and shoot cam like sony HX9V ?
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. The email notification defaulted to "No Email Notification"!

The mount I bought from SRP (BlurFix3 SO) is designed for the Hero3 camera only. It takes any 55mm Filter. Looking at the B&H listing of the HX9V I can't see that it takes filters. You may have to mod up some way to get a filter in front of the lens if you don't see any filter threads on the lens. Any camera with a CMOS sensor that's causing you jello will benefit from having an ND filter.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:55 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
WOW,
I really like this idea of a ND filter.
Question though, the ND4X filter is $31. I see cheapy ND filters out there for $10 and free shipping.
I don't know anything about filters and wondering if the ND4X filter is worth the extra $20 or will any ND filter give the same jello reduction footage?

Since my GoPro is new and I want to keep it in the case I don't have an option to use my Sorbothane to get rid of the vibration.
My TBS Discovery is pretty well balanced and still has some jello. I have stock DJI motors and 10" Graupners and have ordered 900kv Tiger motors and 9" Graupners to try to help with the jello.
Just curious if someone can look at the clip and tell me if for sure that spending the extra money on the GoPro3 filter mount and ND filter will get rid of my jello.?
TBS Discovery and Gopro3 aerial test at Mission Inn Riverside California (1 min 39 sec)
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:54 PM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
326 Posts
A cheap ND filter would work too, but due to the wide angle of the Hero3 lens, you may get vignetting if the filter isn't machined down like the Marumi's they sell. Most filter's metal ring around the glass protrudes out a bit from the lens, and that can be picked up by the GoPro's wide field of view. SRP grinds that off. Also they tested the filter they are selling along with many other cheap and expensive filters and decided to go with this one because it had the best results. 32.00 or whatever the cost is really isn't a lot for a filter. But as I said, ANY 55mm FILTER WILL WORK WITH THE Blurfix3 MOUNT. I have only used the Marumi 4X and got great results. Any other filter you buy will be an experiment. So please post your results on any filters you try! I personally wouldn't risk all my footage having dark areas around the edges to save 15-20 bucks.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
perfect answer thank you very much I really appreciate it. I'm going to go ahead and order the nicer filter and hope it gets rid of the little jello I have.
thank you very much.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:24 PM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
perfect answer thank you very much I really appreciate it. I'm going to go ahead and order the nicer filter and hope it gets rid of the little jello I have.
thank you very much.
Cool! Maybe post your results here? It would be nice to see an A/B comparison other than my own.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:01 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,806 Posts
As I think I understand this, the ND essentially slows the shutter speed of the GP?

Is that correct?

Is there a way to know what shutter speed seems to be the optimal one for reducing or eliminating jello and/or vibrations?

Is the GP shooting normally at 120th or 60th or what?

Is there a sweet spot for shutter speed to reduce jello?

The reason I ask is because our RX100 can be set to manual mode to control shutter speed, and you can also manual adjust ISO and aperture.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Last edited by daskim; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:35 PM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
326 Posts
You can't tell what the shutter speed is on the GoPro because it changes to allow more or less light in. So when it's bright out the shutter is really fast, and that gives you jello depending on how balanced your multi-rotor is. There is no substitute for a perfectly balanced aircraft remember, but the ND filter has helped me a lot. No telling what the sweet spot is as far as shutter speed goes because it depends on the quality of the camera sensor. I haven't seen much, if any jello on my NEX-5n at 125 shutter. The weight of the camera has some bearing too. I am now only flying with the Battery BacPac on the Hero3, just to add a little mass.

For a camera with manual shutter, the rule generally is that you double the frame rate to get the shutter speed. But sometimes you want a fast shutter for effect, like they did in the beginning battle scenes of Saving Private Ryan. A fast shutter gives you a kind of jittery, high energy look. But for 60fps, set the shutter to 120 when you are able to. On my NEX-5n I only have a 125 shutter speed, but that's close enough.

For your RX100 I suggest you do some testing and see, and by all means post the clips of the results.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:44 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,806 Posts
As soon as we get some contrast here in Northwest, I'll do some experimenting with the RX100.

I've shot some good footage using it with out XP2 as well. But nothing when it's been sunny outside with some color.

Can't wait to see what the XP6 looks like
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfish View Post
Cool! Maybe post your results here? It would be nice to see an A/B comparison other than my own.
Ok, I''m going to bite the bullet and spend the money on the lens adapter and ND filter.
I really hope it improves my videos during the day.
I'll post results later in the week.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:50 PM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
Just curious if someone can look at the clip and tell me if for sure that spending the extra money on the GoPro3 filter mount and ND filter will get rid of my jello.?
Looking at your footage I can say that YES, an ND filter will kill that jello you are getting. Also, if you can handle a little color grading and possibly sharpening in post, your GoPro image will be better if you shoot in ProTune Mode with the White Balance locked at 55k. In Protune you have a higher bit rate (35 vs 15) and the aliasing you see on that building with the straight vertical lines will disappear, as well as the blown out highs. But as I said you'll need to grade the image in post. Protune gives you a flat, sort of milky looking image that has a greater dynamic range, and more leeway to push the colors in post. I use Magic Bullet Looks and some sharpening to get my footage looking sweet.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:09 PM
New to Flying.
Joined May 2011
326 Posts
I must note that I did see some jello in one situation when using the ND filter. I was shooting at close to sundown, and the sun was going down into the ocean. When I was aiming at the sun I got jello. I think the direct sun was amplified by the reflection of the water, and the combo was enough to make the shutter go too fast again. As soon as I turned away the jello went away. The next day I tested earlier in the day at 720p120, and intentionally aimed at the sun, and got no jello. So I'm pretty sure it was the direct sun with water reflection that caused it. I also have an ND8X filter that may have worked better, but I have not tested that out yet. ND8X is 4 stops of suppression, and that's too much for a lot of stuff. Good for maybe snow, where everything is white and reflecting the light.

Check at about 39 sec and again at 1:15 and 1:55 to see where I got jello. Otherwise this whole video was shot with the ND4X. You do see some artifacts from the post stabilization, but that's not jello. Watch at 1080p full screen.
Arcata Marsh FPV - Aerial Views (7 min 4 sec)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfish View Post
Looking at your footage I can say that YES, an ND filter will kill that jello you are getting. Also, if you can handle a little color grading and possibly sharpening in post, your GoPro image will be better if you shoot in ProTune Mode with the White Balance locked at 55k. In Protune you have a higher bit rate (35 vs 15) and the aliasing you see on that building with the straight vertical lines will disappear, as well as the blown out highs. But as I said you'll need to grade the image in post. Protune gives you a flat, sort of milky looking image that has a greater dynamic range, and more leeway to push the colors in post. I use Magic Bullet Looks and some sharpening to get my footage looking sweet.
Great, thanks.
I'll try the settings but I do not know how to do any post production or editing of any kind.
I just downloaded a free 30 day trial of Final Cut Pro X and watching the tutorials so hopefully I'll be able to learn.

I went to order and said out of stock of the ND4X filter.
I called and it's in stock just not updated.
I ordered it and the Blurfix3 mount and a lens cap and shipping out today.
And they also have a 30 day return policy in case it doesn't help the jello.

Spoke too soon, they just called me back and the wrong lens's came in and it's not in stock and maybe another week or so.
Bummer.