HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Discussion
Rustler VXL - switching to LiPo

I've bought a Rustler VXL a few week ago and I feel it needs something more than the stock NiMh battery. I am planning to buy a 2S LiPo but I am on a budget so don't plan to spend too much.

What brands should I look for? mAh? Discharge rate?

I have a AC680 charger so I believe that will handle well any type of 2S LiPo.

Also, concerning the safety of LiPos, what else do I need to buy (charging and storing)?
LiPo bag? Ammo box?
I live in an apartment with carpet everywhere so I think I need to store the LiPos properly.

Thanks!

Edit: I bought some Traxxas Female HC Connectors. If I buy a battery that has different connectors what do I do? Just cut and solder my Traxxas ones?
cristian9509 is offline Find More Posts by cristian9509
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:35 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
Never leave your battery unattended while charging. Yes a lipo sack is recommended especially if your in an apartment. Read your charger manual on how to charge your batteries and your in business
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure View Post
Never leave your battery unattended while charging. Yes a lipo sack is recommended especially if your in an apartment. Read your charger manual on how to charge your batteries and your in business
Yep, I've read that thing with don't charge Lipos unattended. I was looking at what other people did and I think that I will buy a small/medium size ammo box and make dividers for all the lipos that I'll have. Probably I'll get some cheap lipo sacks and put each battery in their own sack. I guess these two measures should keep my apartment safe for any unforeseen events. I heard that Lipos are quite safe but I've also heard the opposite so... I guess better safe than sorry.

I found so far a Gens Ace 2s 5000mAh 40C ~$35, and Turnigy 2s 5000mAh 50C - $23. Are these brands ok? Is one better than the other?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:02 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Gen's Ace has a better reputation. Turnigy can also be good, but quality control is not on the same level as Gen's Ace.

Lipo's are quite safe, when treated with respect. For cars, it's best to get hardcase packs, as the shell around the lipo protects it from impact from flying debris like small rocks etc, that the wheels may throw up. And you need to have a speed control with lipo saver or a seperate lipo saver, to prevent deep discharge.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Gen's Ace has a better reputation. Turnigy can also be good, but quality control is not on the same level as Gen's Ace.

Lipo's are quite safe, when treated with respect. For cars, it's best to get hardcase packs, as the shell around the lipo protects it from impact from flying debris like small rocks etc, that the wheels may throw up. And you need to have a speed control with lipo saver or a seperate lipo saver, to prevent deep discharge.
What type of problems does Turnigy have with quality control? Their batteries not being safe (fires, etc) or just their mAh or discharge rate not being accurate?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
You might occasionally get a battery that's d.o.a. Meaning that it's puffed and damaged. The nanotechs are nice and the gens ace are as well. Zippy and turnigy are good too.
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:29 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristian9509 View Post
What type of problems does Turnigy have with quality control? Their batteries not being safe (fires, etc) or just their mAh or discharge rate not being accurate?
Some don't last as long or don't perform as well as others from a different batch. You can use them safely, but you don't always get the performance you expect.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Some don't last as long or don't perform as well as others from a different batch. You can use them safely, but you don't always get the performance you expect.
Gotcha!

I am down to two options right now: either Turnigy nano-tech ~5000mAh or Gens Ace.

Any reviews on the nano-tech Turnigy?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:19 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
nano techs are amazing gens ace suck i will never buy them ever again buy the nano tech
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:36 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jul 2011
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristian9509 View Post
Gotcha!

I am down to two options right now: either Turnigy nano-tech ~5000mAh or Gens Ace.

Any reviews on the nano-tech Turnigy?
the nanotechs i have for my MERV rock. Tons of power and ~25 minute runtimes.
Jeremy Kamutzki is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Kamutzki
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:46 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
yeah i have noticed extermly good run times out of my nano techs too
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlererad3 View Post
yeah i have noticed extermly good run times out of my nano techs too
Anything over 18-20 minutes with my stock NiMh 3000mAh works. And I guess I can't even compare the power of LiPo with NiMh! Haven't made any run with LiPo yet so I'm eager to get one and bash the Rustler...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:38 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
my 5000's last like 30 minutes in my rusty and i run talons on mine
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:49 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
nano techs are amazing gens ace suck i will never buy them ever again buy the nano tech
Opinions seem to vary: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1798097
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:00 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Go read some battery tests on how the nano-techs perform under load, they're usually worse than the regular turnigy packs and definitely not worth the extra cost of plain turnigy packs.

A guy that goes by "Diesel6401" has done a couple really thorough tests on a whole pile of batteries and the nano-techs definitely didn't perform well at all.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons