HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,387 Posts
Question
Any Suggestions for marine RC system

I'm nearing completion of my steamboat and have been looking over options for RC gear. Here's what I need to control: P= proportional, NP= On/Off, 3W= 1/off/2
1. Rudder (P)
2. Throttle (P)
3. Reverse/Forward for steam engine (NP)
4. Spud hoist winch (3W)
5. Crane turning servo (P)
6. Steam donkey drum #1 (P)
7. Steam donkey drum #2 (P)
8. Steam donkey drum #3 (P)
9. Whistle (NP) Sound unit
10. Bell (NP) Sound unit

Any thoughts on a system to do all these things. Currently looking at the DX10t, but not ruling out others.
Thanks,
Mike
hookpilot is online now Find More Posts by hookpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:15 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,752 Posts
oooh, dx10t, droooool...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,387 Posts
Drooool, me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
oooh, dx10t, droooool...
Big decision on this. Haven't looked into Futaba. But a tray radio is interesting. The only negative I've heard is the size of the transmitter, and of course, price.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:10 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,752 Posts
Size is ok, since it's a tray. The guys in Europe use them all the time for the fancy OSV models.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Nov 02, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:18 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
600 Posts
Patmat, what sound unit are you using.
Gary
P31 is offline Find More Posts by P31
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
On my 63' CC Motor Yacht, I used micro switches actuated by servos to turn lights and stuff on and off in a sequence, beep the horn and rotate the searchlight. The servo pushrods had brass egg shaped things with set screws that pressed on microswitch arms or buttons. My old Cirrus 6 channel FM transmitter had a couple of sliders in addition to joysticks that made this easy. That way I was able to do a lot of things with only six channels.

Nowadays I would recommend a 2.4GHz system for immunity from motor noise, etc., and no problems with frequency control rules. Some modern transmitters have slider controls
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
On my 63' CC Motor Yacht, I used micro switches actuated by servos to turn lights and stuff on and off in a sequence, beep the horn and rotate the searchlight. The servo pushrods had brass egg shaped things with set screws that pressed on microswitch arms or buttons. My old Cirrus 6 channel FM transmitter had a couple of sliders in addition to joysticks that made this easy. That way I was able to do a lot of things with only six channels.

Nowadays I would recommend a 2.4GHz system for immunity from motor noise, etc., and no problems with frequency control rules. Some modern transmitters have slider controls
All the lights are controlled separately with a dedicated 12 channel RC system. so the list in my original post will not operate any of the lights. I looked at Futaba's equipment and it does not have the surface and marine features that the DX 10t has. I've heard that Graupner's MC-22 may be hard to get here in the US. I'm not too far from Vancouver, BC so will look at the hobby shops up there for information on Graupner equipment. Thanks
Mike in Edmonds