HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2014, 03:59 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
547 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did think that the motor might be a tad small to be honest.
The model, either the Wind or something else will be a pressie to myself with a little help from my lovely GF.

Exactly a year ago today I suffered a heart attack and was rushed to hospital where I remained for 7 days. Being a smoker of 40+ years was the main cause and I told myself "no more fags" while in transit to the hospital.

So, here I am now, a non smoker for one whole year and very pleased with my achievement. The deal with my GF was that any money I saved through not smoking could be used to fund this wonderful hobby. I did dabble with the idea of buying the Sebart PC-21 but investing so much in one model is somewhat frightening to say the least, which brings me nicely back to the Wind S50e.

Methinks more motor investigations need to be undertaken.

Cheers,

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:15 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,156 Posts
This plane is such a great flyer with the stock setup, you would miss out with that motor. This is absolutely the hands down best flying plane I own. After 50+ years of RC, that's saying a lot.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Nov 20, 2014, 07:39 AM
Malapp1
Joined Nov 2014
1 Posts
After an 18 year sabbatical, I am back into RC planes and my first love Pattern flying. My first plane was Great Planes Revolver 70 with a Rim Fire motor. Flies great but not a pattern plane. FedEx says that my Wind S will arrive tomorrow. I ordered the yellow and black from Jason who was very helpful. I read through the entire thread and found lots of good info here. Here is my equipment. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Hacker A50-16S
Castle Creations Talon 90
Mini servos are Hitek 5245 Digital
Aileron and rudder servos Hitel HS 8775 MG digital
Spektrum DX6 radio

I have read the forum start to finish. One area of concern is the mixing the book calls for. Any suggestions as to a good place to go for help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Malapp1 is offline Find More Posts by Malapp1
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:00 AM
United States, MI, Saginaw Charter Township
Joined Feb 2007
115 Posts
I would try it without the mixing and see what you think. It's a great flying plane.
Tim
RCBRUSKI65 is offline Find More Posts by RCBRUSKI65
Old Nov 20, 2014, 03:03 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
965 Posts
Mixing is a matter of how you think the plane is reacting to your input. The plane will not crash if you don't mix. The mixing suggested probably suits Silvestri's flying and feel of the plane. I do not mix but then my flying is such I wouldn't know the difference anyway. It is the same with the suggested dual rates. I started lower than suggested and have gradually changed them until I feel comfortable. If you asked me what they are now I couldn't tell you.

It is a great flying plane. Be gentle on landings as the under carriage legs are very soft and it is easy to bend them and take out a prop. Unfortunately CF legs available on line are too stiff and I have wrecked the support when I turned hard at the end of the runway so as not to go on the grass. I caught one leg on the runway edge and ripped the leg off. I went back to the aluminium and having to straighten them occasionally.

An interesting observation is when I approach my club I can be a mile away and I know when a friend is flying his Wind. It has an imposing but calm presence in the sky.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Nov 24, 2014, 04:54 AM
Lithuania, Vilnius County, Vilnius
Joined May 2014
4 Posts
Hello,

i plan buy Wind S for next season and while saving my money i look for a alternative motor for hacker. At the moment i found Emax motors http://www.emaxmodel.com/pic/201101/27162243.jpg
GT4030/08 looks better for me but is it enough to mount 16x10 prop? Could i use 16x11 or 16x12 instead?
Also i BL4030, which is lighter so will he give enough power?
http://www.emaxmodel.com/pic/201101/28163335.jpg
Also i guess GT series is better then Bl...
What are your thoughts about these three motors?
vexe is offline Find More Posts by vexe
Old Nov 24, 2014, 06:28 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,273 Posts
I think the smaller BL-4030 is a bit too small. Kv on the GT4030-08 is awkwardly just a bit low for the props that will fit. Of the 3, although the Kv is on the high end for 16" props, the GT4030-06 with 16x8 is probably the best bet to start with. You'd likely be able to use 16x10 depending on actual wattmeter testing. The max power rating looks pretty conservative compared to the motor weight, so a good chance 16x10 would be OK.

More expensive than Emax, but significantly cheaper than the Hacker is the OS 5035-375. It seems to me a perfect match for my Wind on 6S with a 16 x 12. It's big enough to stay cool at around 1300W max, and the Kv gives great speed and thrust with a 16 x 12.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 24, 2014, 07:32 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
..........................More expensive than Emax, but significantly cheaper than the Hacker is the OS 5035-375. It seems to me a perfect match for my Wind on 6S with a 16 x 12. It's big enough to stay cool at around 1300W max, and the Kv gives great speed and thrust with a 16 x 12.
I agree with Scirocco. We both fly the same combination and it provides effortless power. I can easily get 7 mins flying.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Nov 24, 2014, 08:11 AM
Joined May 2014
4 Posts
Thanks guys. What about this motor? Does RPM looks like perfect for 16x10?
http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...cts_id=9700089
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:01 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
That looks like a good budget option. Weight, size and Kv are very close to the 5025 OS. If you try it with 6S, 16x10 is a good starting point.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Nov 26, 2014, 03:19 AM
Joined May 2014
4 Posts
Do standard servo fit in wing? The height ~43 mm (1.70 in) or should i use low profile?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 04:42 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexe View Post
Do standard servo fit in wing? The height ~43 mm (1.70 in) or should i use low profile?
No they don't. Minis the size of the Align DS510 or the Futaba 9071SB which are about 29mm high fit well. You could use a bit wider and longer than these, eg the JR9401 is a Sebart recommendated servo, but low profile is important.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 26, 2014, 08:28 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
Actually, standard servos can be used in the wings if you add a 2-3 mm shim under the rear edge of the servo mounting. The front edge does not need anything.

This is not as pretty of course but works fine if you happen to have otherwise suitable standard servos already. This is what I did...

Of course, if you are buying new servos for the plane anyway, I recommend low profile ones.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:13 PM
Joined May 2014
4 Posts
Thanks. One more question: does spinner come with model?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 06:54 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,218 Posts
Yes, spinner is included (57 mm) but it is not of great quality so I suggest another.
I use a aeronaut spinner on my Wind S 50E
https://www.electricwingman.com/prod...px?product=865
(available in white, red, yellow, black, carbon)
Gator RC flow thru spinner should works fine also
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/gator-spinner-922

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee