HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:28 AM
Joined Feb 2003
99 Posts
Discussion
How to convert my battery's XT60 connector to JST?

I got the following battery from hobbyking

ZIPPY 1300mAh 2S1P 20C

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...00mAh_2S1P_20C

The connector is XT60. I have a lipo charger which only takes JST connector. How can I convert XT60 to JST?

BTW, I'm building a GWS Slow Stick and bought the following brushless motor and ESC combo.

TowerPro BM2409-18T with 25A BEC

Thanks,

Tom
tomx is offline Find More Posts by tomx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:10 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
You don't, JST plugs are only good for 10 amps MAX before they begin to get HOT after a few minutes of flying.

You need to use Deans ultra connectors. Those XT60's also won't survive anything above 50 amps or so for a whole flight before they begin to soften..

Solder a pair up and you'll be set
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:28 AM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
@XPress, I don't think Tom is going to be pushing 50A with that pack.

@Tom, as Xpress said, JSTs are not good discharge plugs for this size pack because they can't handle the current, but there is nothing wrong with the XT60s for this size pack. Dean ultra/T-plugs are also good, and is what I and many people use, but that's largely personal preference. I also have friend who uses PowerPoles, but I don't like them. As far as your charger is concerned, I would recommend making an XT60 to JST adapter. That way if you get any more packs with XT60's you won't have to deal with converting each one. At this low amp draw (the pack isn't rated for more than 26A), I would even consider making an XT60 to Deans adapter if my ESC had a Deans on it. If I intended higher amp draws, then I would convert the plug to a Deans.
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2003
99 Posts
Thank you guys for the quick replies! Yes, I would love to make an XT60 to JST adapter. Not only I can use my existing charger to charger the new batteries, but also I can use these new batteries for my pico TM as well. Is there any more information on how to make an XT60 to JST adapter? Any input is welcome, I really appreciate it!

Tom

>> As far as your charger is concerned, I would recommend making an XT60 to JST adapter. That way if you get any more packs with XT60's you won't have to deal with converting each one.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:58 PM
Joined Feb 2003
99 Posts
Is there any place other than hobbyking that sells XT60 connector? I haven't found any so far
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:39 PM
Joined Feb 2003
99 Posts
OK, I finally found one on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomx View Post
Is there any place other than hobbyking that sells XT60 connector? I haven't found any so far
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:30 AM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Adapter: just connect the + on the XT60 to the + on the JST, and - to -. Put heat shrink tubing over the connections, and you're done. Basically just make sure the red wire from the battery traces through to the + on the JST, and the black wire to the -.
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:24 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
XT60 connectors are sold directly through Hobby City, and is their "specialized" connector. Anyone else who has them has bought them in quantities from HC
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:00 PM
Joined Feb 2003
99 Posts
For the connection between the ESC (come with the brushless motor - TowerPro BM2409-18T with 25A BEC) and the motor. I got something called E-flite EFLA241 Gold Bullet Conn Set, 3.5mm (3) from my LHS. I heard that EC3 connectors could be used to connect ESC and the brushless motor. Is that true? Which one is better? EC3 or Gold bullet? Thanks!

Tom
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:04 PM
Miami, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2007
234 Posts
Use the bullet connectors, the EC3's are only two wire and you need 3 for a brushless motor.
F4J Denny is offline Find More Posts by F4J Denny
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:35 AM
Joined Feb 2003
99 Posts
Got it, thanks you! - Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4J Denny View Post
Use the bullet connectors, the EC3's are only two wire and you need 3 for a brushless motor.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 12:24 PM
Joined Feb 2014
8 Posts
Hi! Does these jst cables connect to each other? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...S1P%5F20C.html http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5F2pc%5F.html
JonttuFin is offline Find More Posts by JonttuFin
Old Dec 01, 2014, 12:31 PM
Joined Feb 2014
8 Posts
Oh Im sorry I meant those red wires
JonttuFin is offline Find More Posts by JonttuFin