SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2013, 06:00 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
355 Posts
Mini-Review
WLToys V944 (HiSky FBL90 rebrand) Tiny-review

This review is under development. I will add more information as and when I get more experience with this heli. Questions and suggestions are welcome!

This arrived yesterday:

http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V944-...200971201306VP

Only took about two weeks, which is quite a nice delivery time.

Well, I tried the V944 and WOW! That thing is F-A-S-T!

I really thought I'd gotten a hang of how to fly a 4ch FP heli. Well, to certain degree I have...with flybarred ones. This bird is all over the place with my current skills, I managed to hover it just enough to see that there's nothing wrong with it and it's quite nicely trimmed out of the box, in fact any trimming attempt (electronic) made it drift worse. So any drifting is because of the nature of FBL and the lack of skills.

Now I completely understand the "ball on a plate" -analogy about helicopters. The room I flied it in is about 15x15x5 meters (about 50x50x16 feet) and it's nowhere near big enough for my current skills. The heli gathers speed so fast and the response is so instant that I was constantly overcorrecting and hopelessly late with my stick input that I crashed it over a dozen times flying only two batteries.

Seems like I have a loooong way to go before I can say that I have any kind of control. Oh well, learning curves are for learning, aren't they?

The overall impression is that it's an impressive heli and beautiful. I had an issue with the TX first, it was constantly beeping and I couldn't get it to bind correctly or reset it before I opened it up and there was the reason: the connector from the throttle potentiometer to the TX board was loose. Pushed it back and after that it worked.

I have to fly it some more before I can say more about the quality of the TX, but it feels a little bit too sensitive for me at the moment. I think that with the 9X it will be easier to fly because I can add some expo to tame it a little around the center of the sticks. I'll try that when my WL-T6 adapter arrives.

EDIT: Flied some more today, outside this time. It was a bit windy but this bird behaved just like there was no wind at all. Which, of course, in my case means that it was all over the greenery just as much.

Anyway, it seems to handle wind like there was no wind. Amazing, I'd say.
ScorpioFIN is offline Find More Posts by ScorpioFIN
Last edited by ScorpioFIN; Sep 04, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2013, 06:36 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
355 Posts
I was sorting the spare parts that shipped with the V944; main blades, a bag of links and servo rods (nice!) an allen wrench, a mini phillips screwdriver... and a tail blade that looked quite familiar...
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:00 PM
Eastern, NC
Joined Apr 2008
533 Posts
Very nice summary!
I'm strongly leaning towards getting a v944 to go with my v911.
I'll be watching your updates here to see how you like the 944 and what (if any) issues you have.
Where have you found to be the best place to buy the 944?
Everyone seems to push BangGood around here, but I hate waiting 3+ weeks for stuff to get to me. I order quite a bit from Chinese suppliers, and it always seems to take forever and a week.
CX2Mike is offline Find More Posts by CX2Mike
Old Sep 17, 2013, 08:02 AM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX2Mike View Post
Very nice summary!
I'm strongly leaning towards getting a v944 to go with my v911.
I'll be watching your updates here to see how you like the 944 and what (if any) issues you have.
Where have you found to be the best place to buy the 944?
Everyone seems to push BangGood around here, but I hate waiting 3+ weeks for stuff to get to me. I order quite a bit from Chinese suppliers, and it always seems to take forever and a week.
It's indeed a gread addition to my V9xx fleet.

Due to the weather conditions (endless rain) I haven't been able to fly much, but the learning curve for the FBL sure is steep. Since it doesn't self-stabilize, it keeps going in the direction of the last stick input until you tell it otherwise. It means that to make the heli stop, you have to give it exactly the right amount of opposite stick input, if you get what I mean.

I noticed that it helps a lot if I look at the rotor disc instead of the heli itself. Much easier to anticipate the next move. I think I will paint the blades with bright white stripes or something like that.

I find Banggood a good place to buy, despite the long delivery times. Here in Finland there are no local shops who carry these cheap helis and free shipping takes the same time from everywhere. Of course I can get my orders faster if I pay double the price, but I'll rather be patient. Can't say anything about other countries, but I understand that it's not much different.

I choose BG because of their great customer service and their mostly best prices. Others may have different opinions.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:55 AM
Eastern, NC
Joined Apr 2008
533 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the reply!
Have you flown any CPs?
I'm seeing comments here and there that seem to suggest I'd be better off getting something like the v922 and just flying it FP until I'm ready to go CP.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:11 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
355 Posts
Quote:
Very cool, thanks for the reply!
Have you flown any CPs?
I'm seeing comments here and there that seem to suggest I'd be better off getting something like the v922 and just flying it FP until I'm ready to go CP.
I think that's one possibility. From what I have read, many seen to think that it's better to step straight to CP like the V922 and skip FBL 4ch. It's a highly personal thing and I can't say what's best for you.

I do not own, nor have I ever flown a CP, so I can't tell my own experiences either. Anyway, from what I have read about FBL micro CPs, the V944 behaves like them to some point, mainly in the way it needs to be flown quite differently than 4ch with a flybar as I described above, so my logic says that a V922 would be quite similar to fly as FP. Not 100% sure of course, because I haven't tried.

I guess it comes down to what you want from this hobby. If you're sure that you will advance to CP one day, the FP 4ch might be an unnecessary expense between the V911 and a CP. On the other hand, the more helis the merrier.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:35 PM
Austria, Tir., Innsbruck
Joined Sep 2013
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioFIN View Post
I think I will paint the blades with bright white stripes or something like that.
I think those blades are exactly what you are looking for

Edit: ok I just noticed, that those are V922 and not V944 blades...
xMeox is offline Find More Posts by xMeox
Last edited by xMeox; Sep 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:31 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMeox View Post
I think those blades are exactly what you are looking for

Edit: ok I just noticed, that those are V922 and not V944 blades...
Yes, the FBL100=V922

However, that's one colour that I have in mind. Fluorescent ambulance yellow might also be nice, specially with strong UV spotlight at night.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:03 PM
no borken corters allowed here
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Jul 2013
183 Posts
Ive been looking at this heli. I have a th9x, what module is needed to bind with this?
rontech420 is offline Find More Posts by rontech420
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:36 PM
Eastern, NC
Joined Apr 2008
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech420 View Post
Ive been looking at this heli. I have a th9x, what module is needed to bind with this?
This one or this one.
They're identical to each other, except for the stickers.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:49 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
355 Posts
Yes, they are. Just pick the one that suits your taste and whichever is a better deal at the moment.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:29 AM
Eastern, NC
Joined Apr 2008
533 Posts
Hey Scorp, any updates on the v944?
Do you still like it? Any problems crop up?
I'm still flip-flopping between this and a v922.
So far, I'm thinking the prudent choice is the 944, but I'd like to hear more about your flight experiences first.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:58 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
355 Posts
Quote:
Hey Scorp, any updates on the v944?
Do you still like it? Any problems crop up?
I'm still flip-flopping between this and a v922.
So far, I'm thinking the prudent choice is the 944, but I'd like to hear more about your flight experiences first.
I've been a bit busy setting up my own little importing business, but so far I've had no problems. The battery tray is a bit flimsy and needs some velcro to hold the lipo properly or, like I did, a little modification to push the lipo further forward into the canopy. The canopy is thin and has cracked from the underside, fixed that with CF pattern adhesive film, but any tape will do.

Those little problems are of course present in the V922 too, basically they share the same parts in those areas.

As for flying, I like it a lot. However, if you are still pondering between these two, I'd say take the V922. Reason being that if you are still thinking, you are most likely going to go CP sooner or later.

If you decide to get the V944 after all, order a V922 tail blade or two with it. The word is that it makes a significant improvement to tail hold.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:03 PM
Eastern, NC
Joined Apr 2008
533 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the update, and congrats on your business!
I hope it goes well. Is it RC-related?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 06:27 PM
Pysy ilmassa, perkele!
Finland, Köyliö
Joined Jun 2013
355 Posts
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the update, and congrats on your business!
I hope it goes well. Is it RC-related?
Partly. Also electronics and lighting + live performance equipment. And of course gigs with the band, arranging shows for others and providing sound/lighting services.