SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2013, 06:36 AM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
570 Posts
Joe,

That is a novel (and amusing) way to solve the problem.

Hutton
VHO is offline Find More Posts by VHO
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2013, 09:30 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
Hutton,
I forgot to respond on this one.
My solution was to put the battery on top of the fuselage behind the wing. I glued a couple of carbon plates on either side of the fuz to box in the battery. Not very elegant, but workable. The one concern is the elevated rf noise with the battery wiring + ESC running past rx & servos.
It will be nice when eSoaring reaches the point where manufacturers will actually mold purpose-built fuselages configured to accept our power and radio systems AND to balance the planes while doing so

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban
Old Apr 05, 2013, 03:37 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,892 Posts
The only reason why I did it this way was because I was retrofitting a std F3J fuselage that already had the servos installed up front. If I had started with the eMAxa fuselage, I would not have needed to go to my rather unaesthetic solution. I was too lazy to rip out the existing servo installation and re-install the servos back in the tail. With the motor/gearbox up front, I had to do something in order to get the plane to balance out...
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:01 PM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
655 Posts
F5j egida

My EGIDA F5J from Jaro Muller and today´s test flights: Power unit 15/8" AE prop, NEO 15-790 motor, SPIN-44 ESC, LiPOL 3S 1800...
All Up Weight 1860 g with RC-MULTI altimeter, climbrate approx. 200 m/30 s :-)
I think, model is ready for first F5J competition next week. I only need to change my hands :-)

Palo
tender is offline Find More Posts by tender
Last edited by tender; Apr 22, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:58 AM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
570 Posts
Making a Maxa-e from the F3J version

Once upon a time, I had a light F3J Maxa. It came to grief.

After a weekend of F5J at the NEFR (Cootamundra, NSW, Australia), at which I used a home built Supra and learned the benefit of bagged wings, I recovered the F3J Maxa fuselage and have now prepared it for electric (F5J) use.

The pictures below tell the story of how I fitted the servos in the tail, made up a new bellcrank and completed the install. The rudder is also home made (but Vladimir is so kind as to provide a set of full size plans for all to see) .

It has a HET2w-20 and Great Planes 4.3:1 gearbox in it, turning a 16x8" Aeronaut prop, Jeti 70 A Pro switching BEC controller and 3s TP1300 65c pack. CG without ballast is at 100mm. I might need a slightly less massive pack.

It performs almost as good as bought one, although a new wing would help, so I don't have to keep taking one off my F3J toys. I am working on that.

Is it competitive? Well David, you will have to wait and see...

Hutton
VHO is offline Find More Posts by VHO
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:07 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1 Posts
F5J in Argentina

Hello, my name is Hugo Bustos, I'm from Argentina and two years ago we flew F5J in competition.
We have two dates in Argentina for the II Intertour puntables to be held in Slovakia in August 2013.
After reading many reviews, I wish to convey my opinion on the matter.
Flying F5J skills is simply exciting.
It will be necessary, extensive training and experience in thermal flight and a good combination of time / precision in the landings, in addition to finding the right sailplane for each meteorological situation, maybe 2 models will be necesary.
F5J seems similar to other categories, but will coincide then that is quite different and demanding. If you want to know which is the right model, I say at this moment that is still wrapped in a mystery.
I leave some data as a function of my experience, 3 meter wingspan more / less 10% , lightweight, strong and very close to the 14,5 grm/ dm2.
The cutting height is the variable to clear and who defines the winner if it can see and read the meteorological situation when you fly your round ..
Good flights, I am at your disposal ( sorry by my english translater)
Visit www.f5jargentina.blogspot.com.ar
dapsajet is offline Find More Posts by dapsajet
Last edited by dapsajet; Apr 25, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:50 PM
Tailspin
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
436 Posts
JW

Joe, I am putting together a Maxa E for the season and downloaded your setup from Kennedycomposites.com and am a little confused, is the table in mm or degrees? I think it is mm but not sure if I plot it out, it could be either.

Thanks for the help.

Jack
jiafret is offline Find More Posts by jiafret
Old May 02, 2013, 11:22 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,892 Posts
Jack,

My post was in degrees, which are rather close to mm given the chord at the end of the flap...

For reference, the measurements in mm are here:
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...20settings.jpg
(as translated by Aaron Valdes) BTW, I'm not sure whether he translated the mm measurements as being the vertical dimension or the total dimension... only a possible issue with the larger deflections.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W