HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:19 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frede2 View Post
Excuse me for asking, but what is "TFF"?
Phil
For us old non texters....
http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/t...reviations.asp

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:42 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,569 Posts
Any news?
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:58 AM
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Guys, as a Radian owner as most of you, the pictures look real to me. The one thing that is bugging me however is whether or not the inboard "flaps" are just that, or actually spoilers instead. Here are my thoughts, though some of this is contradictory.....If these were flaps in the manner that Parkzone usually does things, there would be a bevel cut on the bottom side of the wing, as there is with the Aileron. There does look to be a cut along this seem, and if taped, you could have a flap, but the top of the wing looks like it is "hinged" the same as other Parkzone planes. (very thin section of foam.) The contradiction however is that the servo horn looks like it is in the aft position, indicating that travel would only go forward, hence a flap. Coluld be a mistake on their part in putting it together though.

For some odd reason, I am leaning towards these being spoilers, which would go up, thus defeating airflow on that section of wing, and would be triggered by the 5th channel of the DX5E.

What do you guys think?
ghueser is offline Find More Posts by ghueser
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:15 AM
Joined Jul 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Guys, as a Radian owner as most of you, the pictures look real to me. The one thing that is bugging me however is whether or not the inboard "flaps" are just that, or actually spoilers instead. Here are my thoughts, though some of this is contradictory.....If these were flaps in the manner that Parkzone usually does things, there would be a bevel cut on the bottom side of the wing, as there is with the Aileron. There does look to be a cut along this seem, and if taped, you could have a flap, but the top of the wing looks like it is "hinged" the same as other Parkzone planes. (very thin section of foam.) The contradiction however is that the servo horn looks like it is in the aft position, indicating that travel would only go forward, hence a flap. Coluld be a mistake on their part in putting it together though.

For some odd reason, I am leaning towards these being spoilers, which would go up, thus defeating airflow on that section of wing, and would be triggered by the 5th channel of the DX5E.

What do you guys think?

If you listened live to "Airshow" on the RC Radio Network last night. All this would have been put to rest for you. This is their next giveaway, Atlanta Hobby will be the first distributor get a couple, and the announcement of this aircraft is this week.

Check www.rcradionetwork.com Thursday afternoon/Friday morning to download the mp3 file of the show. But, but then HH should have announced the aircraft.
rcdude07 is offline Find More Posts by rcdude07
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:41 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post

What do you guys think?
I think they are indeed flaps, and only go down. Why? Two reasons.

1) If you look closely at the servo for the flap, it appears that the servo arm is fully to the rear, judging by the short black pushrod. This means that the only way that servo can go is to pull, which would pull the flap down.

B) If it was a flap, it would only need to go down during landings, and would be up the rest of the time. So, ideally it would be bottom hinged, and be flush on top when stowed. That would explain the lack of beveling, unlike that seen on the ailerons.

III) We'll all just have to be patient just a bit longer!
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:34 AM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
748 Posts
Debut?

Rumor has it that the full house Radian will be unveiled at the World Masters of Soaring at the AMA site in Muncie this weekend. This is the site where the original Radian had its coming out party two years ago. The reaction of the high-end soaring pilots there should be interesting.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:39 AM
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Servo Horn Covers

Whether or not flaps or spoilers....one mod that we will all need to make is to put covers over the Wing Servo Horns. Without them, they will snag up a lot of grass on landing.
ghueser is offline Find More Posts by ghueser
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:08 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,848 Posts
where is the AMA site "Muncie"?

in Indiana?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Sep 22, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:49 PM
The SteamRoller
USA, CA, Fort Bragg
Joined Oct 2009
372 Posts
tff = too f'n funny
thesteam is offline Find More Posts by thesteam
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:18 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
761 Posts
Hey guys,

Here is the scoop on the Radian Pro.

Yes it is the new Parkzone Radian Pro. Information will be live on Horizonhobby.com tomorrow (or as soon as Chuck Seeker gets the info in Australia )

Its 5 channel with Ailerons, elevator, rudder, throttle and flaps.

It flies fantastic. Check out the video on the web in the morning.

The samples that were accidentially sent out to consumers were actually for the World Soaring Masters where we planned on showing the plane for the first time.

Sorry I did not comment sooner but it was very entertaining watching you speculate about it.

Anyway hope you like it.

Matt Andren
Parkzone/Hobbyzone Product Development
Horizon Hobby
Mattfly is offline Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:37 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Jul 2010
348 Posts
I have Radian, it's a very slow flying sailplane. Why do we need a new PRO with flaps for? What do we really need is 2.5 to 3 m heavier one with all functions.
xiaoyu80305 is offline Find More Posts by xiaoyu80305
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:38 PM
USA, OH, Amelia
Joined Jan 2007
14 Posts
and we hear it is official!
steve2298 is offline Find More Posts by steve2298
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly View Post
Hey guys,

Here is the scoop on the Radian Pro.

Yes it is the new Parkzone Radian Pro. Information will be live on Horizonhobby.com tomorrow (or as soon as Chuck Seeker gets the info in Australia )

Its 5 channel with Ailerons, elevator, rudder, throttle and flaps.

It flies fantastic. Check out the video on the web in the morning.

The samples that were accidentially sent out to consumers were actually for the World Soaring Masters where we planned on showing the plane for the first time.

Sorry I did not comment sooner but it was very entertaining watching you speculate about it.

Anyway hope you like it.

Matt Andren
Parkzone/Hobbyzone Product Development
Horizon Hobby
Faster answer on RcGroups than E-mail support.
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:01 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
Wooooooooo!
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:28 PM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyu80305 View Post
I have Radian, it's a very slow flying sailplane. Why do we need a new PRO with flaps for? What do we really need is 2.5 to 3 m heavier one with all functions.
True, but I've thrown my bog standard Rad about on the slopes a few times, and she can haul ass in a good blow, obviously not like a true sloper you understand. I wonder if this beastie will perform any better than my Fox (on a good day), I'm just curious because the dihedral has been kept in.
SmartMartY is offline Find More Posts by SmartMartY