SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by ggrimley
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2011
500 Posts
ONE sheet of $tree foam will make a 20 incher with foam left over!!! or hang around a construction site and enough FFF can be had FREE!!!! Imagination and innovation is half the fun.... and with the Nutball the possibilities are endless..
ggrimley is offline Find More Posts by ggrimley
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,789 Posts
Imagination and innovation are good for you.............and at my age, my brain needs the exercise.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by hard line
Joined May 2012
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
As some of you may not know , the Foamie scratch build section was born in the Foamie' Kit section... then we got our own space.. and took over...

Yes scratch building is more Fun and waaay less expensive for those that have the ability .... but believe it or not , there are still some people that depend on kits and cannot scratch build... True !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy View Post
I can scratch build something identical to a $65 EPP kit for less than $8, about the cost of my hot wire cutter.

Or $3 in FFF.

And fly it like it's cost only $2.
Okay, got the message and am unsubscribing.
I don't do haters. Life's too short.
hard line is online now Find More Posts by hard line
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,376 Posts
hardline,

I hope you are not saying that gpw and goldguy are haters! They are a couple of the best rc airplane designers on rc groups and are always quick to help others with their builds. They also have the experience and knowledge to offer good advice!!

"Haters" you are WAY off the mark.

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:06 PM
gpw
Find More Posts by gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,468 Posts
Can’t see what was so offensive so it must be Hardline himself (what’s in a name eh ? ) to which we can only say ....Bon Voyage !!!

Oh well , you just can’t make some people happy... not even a Nutball
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 27, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
3,185 Posts
One of the nice things about this thread is the way help and advice is freely and cheerfully given. I struggle to understand how anyone can interpret anything on it as hate.

I broke mine at the indoor meeting the other night trying an outside loop under too low a ceiling. Never mind I fixed it in minutes. I continue to be amazed at how versatile this model is. I can fly it at home our outside in 12 mph winds.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Aug 27, 2015, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,789 Posts
WOW! Talk about sensitive. By the way, I count seven kit built models hanging off my shop walls and ceiling, and another four in boxes on my shelves.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
Last edited by goldguy; Aug 27, 2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by highndry1
Joined Feb 2015
46 Posts
Hardline,

As I reread the last couple of pages, and a supporter of your questions as my posts may indicate ( along with a little sarcasm in your favor) sorry to see you bail on the thread. But have to agree you may be taking the replies a little personal. If you choose to reengage I will be happy to relate my experiences with the HK NB here. If the purists have an issue with it, they don't have to read it.
highndry1 is offline Find More Posts by highndry1
Old Aug 28, 2015, 02:35 AM
Find More Posts by davereap
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,514 Posts
Hardline... those comments are not any sort of personal attack... they are only saying that its easy and far cheaper to make these simple models for yourself...
Its also more satisfying..
I have tried and tried at our local indoor club to get my mates to make their own.. but for whatever reasons the majority of them just cant do it.. some don't have the time and most just want to buy and fly.. ..
whatever way you go the main thing is to have fun...
treat this thread as a resource.. the Nutball model has been made and tried in all sorts of ways, so there is lots of valuable info here...

from your posts it does seem that HK have made the Nutball build into a rear heavy model, and I cant see why they would.. use a bigger battery and/or motor and move that COG to 25% for a starter... I even used a heavy wire UC to move the COG on one of mine.... with every thing else being correct the model will be great.. later the COG can be better adjusted to suit your style..

my COG has always been set at 25% and it stays there...that's just where I like it...
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Aug 28, 2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by TomKat
Joined Nov 2006
4 Posts
Hardline .... Ken here , ya I'm a nobody, but I've enjoy'ed flying all sorts of stuff since the 1950's. I am lucky enough to know Frank well, having met him in Nanaimo in the 1970's. We still fly at the same sights several times a year , and I can tell you his biggest rush is flying. Second is coffee with the guys after, reliving some of the days events . and often way late into the evening helping figure out a problem either with a design , repair ,or figuring out what inputs caused a problem. You won't find many who have helped as many as Frank . Remember this is something we do for the fun. Kit or imagination it doesn't matter, it can be sleek or bazzar. In the end 1/ power to weight 2/ wing loading 3/ balance 4/ patience (trial & error of adjustments) 5/ acceptance of advice ( good or bad -they're trying to help - you can sort the good & bad ideas later, it may be parts of many ideas that work out for you .... if you have the patience) These things work for all aircraft kit or scratch. ........... Ken
TomKat is offline Find More Posts by TomKat