New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by rockin' roller
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
Discussion
DFW TX. area parkflyer and electric combat 2015 with videos

The Renner Renegades have not been doing as much parkflyer combat as usual due to weather, scheduling, etc., but since we are due to lose our field before long, lets end with a bang. We will be getting back into the weekend afternoon combat sessions, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays as the weather allows.

Basic Classes - with streamers-No sharp protruding objects allowed on the planes, only soft foam. It is preferred to use GWS brand propellers, rather than the other sharper, stronger brands. Since this is going to be "In Your Face" combat, it's more friendly to use softer props, and rubber band propsavers. It happens totally inadvertently, but occasionally you will hear the quip "If you can't get the plane, get the pilot."

Steamers are made from 2 inch wide, crepe paper party streamers, cut into 3rds. to make them 2/3 inch wide. The streamers are 20 ft. of a dark color with a 1 ft. extra piece of a light, contrasting color to serve as the "kill zone". All of this lighter color piece must be removed to count as a "kill".

WWII/Warbird Masters Combat-
Prefer WWII semi-scale profile or fused. (WWI or other similar enough styles ok)
28" to 32" wingspan.
300 size motor (Our favorite motor so far has been the BP Hobbies Cheetah A2208-12 on 2-cell with a GWS HD 8-6 prop.)
1300 Mah 2 Cell battery. We will also allow 800 Mah 3 Cells to be used on an experimental basis, if that is what you already have.
5 minute sorties - Points are deducted if you do not make the full time limit.

Sh!tcan combat
This class is mostly designed to allow people the proper "Viking funeral" for old, worn out aircraft in need of retiring.
Run any old thing that you bring, provided it won't hurt your feelings if it is destroyed, or the other combatants protest too loudly.
Max battery - 3 Cell 2200 Mah.
5 minute sorties - Points are deducted if you do not make the full time limit.

Basic Rules

1. 100 points awarded for launching on time, with the group.
2. 100 points awarded for each streamer cut, past the "kill zone". This is the desired "kill".
3. 100 points for landing, after 5 minutes are up, with your original streamer.
4. No landing points if the plane has an "unintentional" landing before 5 minutes, battery dies, or if their original streamer gets cut.
5. 100 points for every plane "downed" by impact with your aircraft. It counts as a "kill".
6. No "downed" points awarded if the full sortie is not completed because of damage from previous mid-air impact.
7. If your streamer has been cut past the "kill zone" you are considered "killed" and need to land.
8. If your streamer has been cut past the "kill zone" you are considered "killed", and no kills you make afterwards count until you re-streamer.
9. Planes that have been "killed or downed" may enact repairs and rejoin.
10. Rejoining planes that have been "killed or downed" will not collect the 100 "landing points"
11. Planes carrying other's streamer may land and return the streamer.
12. Planes returning streamer are considered "off limits" and may not be killed, downed or cut.
13. Planes returning streamer, may still collect "landing points".
14. After returning streamer, re-launch, and follow rules.
15. After repairing or re-streamering, you have lost your landing points, but can re-launch and follow rules.
16. Landing points can only be lost once per person per sortie. (You can never lose more than 100 points per sortie)

Any other clubs or groups flying parkflyer or other electric combat should feel free to use this thread to promote their activities also. It would be great to have everyone posting their local events here so we could all get to know each other and plan some club visits again.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Last edited by rockin' roller; May 01, 2015 at 02:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 06:09 PM
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
Results of the first Renegade combat in 2015

Sunday the 18th. was a dismal day for combat. The day was a bit breezy, but not too bad for flying. We only got in 1/2 of a round of Sh!tcan combat before a blown motor brought one of the planes down. It was myself flying my T-6 Jack-O-Lantern against SN's Sonofabitch. When the sortie began, I took the fight to him, hailing him with bullets from all angles. SN managed to avoid the shots, and even got in a few counter shots of his own, until around the half way point when his motor quit, and he was forced to land.

Final Score -

Rockin' Roller - 200
SN - 100
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by darowden
Nose In Crash Expert.
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Nov 2006
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin' roller View Post
Sunday the 18th. was a dismal day for combat. The day was a bit breezy, but not too bad for flying. We only got in 1/2 of a round of Sh!tcan combat before a blown motor brought one of the planes down. It was myself flying my T-6 Jack-O-Lantern against SN's Sonofabitch. When the sortie began, I took the fight to him, hailing him with bullets from all angles. SN managed to avoid the shots, and even got in a few counter shots of his own, until around the half way point when his motor quit, and he was forced to land.

Final Score -

Rockin' Roller - 200
SN - 100

What field do you guys use? Can I
I bring a quad?
darowden is offline Find More Posts by darowden
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:33 AM
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
Darowden, we usually fly in a field that is part of an apartment development. It is behind the NW corner of Bush/190 and Renner Rd. This is a renegade field, not a prepared club field, so you can fly whatever you wish. We will be there this afternoon.
Old Feb 08, 2015, 02:49 PM
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
Combat today 3:30 PM. at Renegade field.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 01:51 PM
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
We should be getting things fired up around 3:30 again today.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:35 AM
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
Tomorrow is looking good for afternoon combat.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by speedyb_tx
United States, TX, Van Alstyne
Joined Dec 2014
317 Posts
If you can, visit texoma RC club field in Sherman - RCCA Combat all weekend.
speedyb_tx is offline Find More Posts by speedyb_tx
Old Apr 03, 2015, 09:46 PM
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
Speedyb, thanks for the information. I am on the combat facebook feed so I have been watching your exploits out there. For the past 10 years, I have been threatening to get into the larger combat birds like you guys fly, but I never have done it. I do really enjoy the parkflyer combat with birds that weigh about 10 - 11 oz. all up. We can fly them in close to us, and don't have to wear hard hats. In addition, we don't have to drive all over Texas and the surrounding states to find a place to fly them! If you are in the Plano-Richardson area sometime, come check us out.
Old Apr 03, 2015, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
We are planning on combat at the Renner field Saturday, starting in the afternoon/evening and flying until dark. There is also a possibility of combat at the Rowlett field on Sunday morning if anyone is interested.
Old Apr 04, 2015, 10:40 AM
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
Renner Combat (3 min 17 sec)
We got in a few rounds of WWII-2cell combat today. The action was very tight, as you will see here.
The fact that this video shows me cutting both Patrick and John's streamers in no way affects my appreciation of it.
Last edited by rockin' roller; Apr 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2015, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by speedyb_tx
United States, TX, Van Alstyne
Joined Dec 2014
317 Posts
it does take a bit to get planes ready for RCCA/SSC
you get tons of help though.
As far as I know, it is a once-a-month thing at Texoma RC. I am probably not going to drive far either.
Going to build an electric version soon

And also need to build some of your type of planes ! have depron and foamboard...

What props/motor sizes you running?
speedyb_tx is offline Find More Posts by speedyb_tx
Old Apr 05, 2015, 02:34 PM
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyb_tx View Post
it does take a bit to get planes ready for RCCA/SSC
you get tons of help though.
As far as I know, it is a once-a-month thing at Texoma RC. I am probably not going to drive far either.
Going to build an electric version soon

And also need to build some of your type of planes ! have depron and foamboard...

What props/motor sizes you running?
Thanks speed, I have edited the first post to answer your questions, since others probably are interested too.

Our next battle will begin on Friday night around 5:30 PM weather permitting. Videos of last Saturday's fights should be coming soon.
Last edited by rockin' roller; Apr 06, 2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 08:51 AM
Joined Oct 2004
964 Posts
The weather should be good for flying and combat this afternoon. We'll try to get there early and have our first sortie around 5:30 PM, and battle until it gets too dark to see the streamers. Bring your planes, glue, refreshments, and bug spray.

There is rain in the forecast for the weekend, so this may be our only chance this week.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by zagimon
Patrick Jenkins
USA, LA, 5
Joined Dec 2006
1,060 Posts
6:00 pm 72 F 72 F 44 F 37% Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy 0% 0 in 8 mph ENE 32% 30.08in

It's gonna be some fun tonight! I'm charging batteries and gathering my gear and will be bringing some deep woods off if anyone needs some. : ) We had some good hits last week and hopefully the same will follow this week.
zagimon is offline Find More Posts by zagimon